1:32 Hong Kong Models DH Mosquito B Mk IV

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Can you see that nicely moulded flat in the tyre, see how it slopes from left down to the right ? Well it's wrong, it should slope the other way, right to left. The other wheel is wrong as well. (insert big string of naughty words here)
View attachment 374500
Ouch! That’s going to smart colin . One thing I can think to solve this without breaking it all apart again is drill all the way through the centre of the wheel ,from both sides , where the circular depression is at the bottom of the oleo leg. Hopefully this will allow the wheel to come free then you can swap them and use a piece of brass or steel rod through the drilled hole to fix them again . Hope you can sort it , it’s looking beautiful , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 5496

Colin I would get the file out.

When sat on the tarmac the tyres are flat on the bottom.

1582975288287.png

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The modeller who says he never made a mistake never made anything!

What a pain Colin, but you can sort it, I'm sure.

As an aside, the joiner whom I served my time with in the early '60's, helped build these aircraft during WW2 at De Havillands at Broughton, Chester. (96 were build there)

He also had a hand in building the Wellington Bomber at the same factory.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hope you can sort it
When sat on the tarmac the tyres are flat on the bottom.
HKM thought of that Laurie, and built a flat into the tyre. The problem is, an idiot has a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right, or wrong. You can see which way this idiot got it !
As an aside, the joiner whom I served my time with in the early '60's, helped build these aircraft during WW2 at De Havillands at Broughton, Chester. (96 were build there)
An interesting bit of history Ron. But I suspect all the wheels he saw, were round. Many many years ago, when I was flying the flag for UK industry around the world, a ship I was working on held a dinner for local business type people, I found myself sat next to a chap who flew Mosquitoes, he didn't have a very high opinion of them. That sort of stunted the conversation.

Anyway gentlemen, you wouldn't believe it, but there was enough slack in the legs (stop tittering at the back) to allow me to open up the legs (again, you at the back, quiet please) extract the wheel and quickly turn it around and replace. Job done, no damage - I think.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
I too have never really understood why static display models have moving parts. I think fixing those flaps is a wise move. As for the tyres - I'm sure you'll sort it.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, the wheel debacle has been rectified - got away with that one. Here are the engine panels being fitted. As I said earlier, I want a smooth look (and the engine isn't really worth exposing) The chrome base for the landing and ID lights have been done. I like this chrome so much I seem to be trying to find anything I can chrome.

Nacelles 1.JPG

Yes, it's definitely looking like a Mosquito now. Once I've finished with the sanding sticks I'll attach the canopy. I always have a problem with dust on the inside of the canopy, so maybe this time I can avoid this problem.
Nacelles 2.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress Colin, looks huge to me :thumb2: . When possible I try to glue the canopy right before airbrusing, to avoid damage/dust.
Coming together nicely :thumb2:
Have fun, Steven

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
looks huge to me
This is where my spray booth normally sits - that's been relegated to the floor at the moment.
a sign of old age no doubt
Almost certainly. I mean getting port and stbd mixed wouldn't have mattered, but front to back, well that's just silly

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, an update. There I was ready to build the canopy then caught a bit of 633 squadron, and realised, the canopy frame seemed to suffer a bit of wear and tear - out with the silver pencil
IMG_0190.JPG

Eventually, all masked and ready for spraying. mmm, a size issue.
IMG_0194.JPG

So, the large Mosquito was sprayed half in, half out. I actually found it easier to stand for the spraying.
IMG_0197.JPG

Once the lower surfaces were dry, flip it over and start again.
IMG_0200.JPG

I'm quite liking the all black look.
IMG_0203.JPG

With a bit of luck, tomorrow might see a bit of colour applied.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice Colin, looks like you need a bigger spraybooth indeed :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice work Colin on a very nice aircraft.

Really flying.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks chaps for looking in. Well, two nights in the row at the bench, a rare treat these days.
I've started the underside colour.
Underside 1.JPG
No don't worry, it's not some Italian version of a Mosquito in Fiat colours. The idea is to make sure that the final coat has loads of modulation to it. However, this takes ages, meaning both the compressor and me need a break. It's a decent enough method for 1:72 or 1:48, but a 1:32 twin engine job - well, no rush !
You can see the effect on the bomb bay and landing gear door below. These aren't finished yet, more layers of paint are required.
IMG_0210.JPG
The finished result should be very subtle mottling, maybe so subtle, getting a decent pic, might be a bit difficult.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Colin I do like the black basing technique looking very good.
Yes, when I suddenly realised I can prime in black, all sorts of possibilities opened up. Pre-shading tends to be a thing of the past now. Although, it takes for ever using this method on a build this size.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
More done, actual paint finished underneath and upper side.
Underside completed.JPG

Underside completed 2.JPG

Ocean grey applied to the upper surface. With black primer showing in between.
Upper 1.JPG

Upper 2.JPG

And then the green. Slowly applied over many hours, mainly to give the compressor and myself a rest. All surface paints are MRP. During the many hours of spraying, never once did I suffer tip drying, and yet, the paint is nearly instantly dry on the model. Spooky..... Once the decals are on, I might touch up the paint a bit more to fade the motteling, then again I might not, as the whole thing will change with the matt coat on. The shine you see is straight from the MRP bottle, no added gloss coat.
Upper completed.JPG

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
The priming technique results in a wonderful looking finish. Well done!