1/32 L-18c

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the revell 1/32 PA-18 supercub I am working on. It was lying in the box with the floor assembled for a long time so now is the time to get it done LOL
The kit has a few issues.
1. The elevators are for a PA-14 cruiser, the PA-18 had counter weights. azy to fix though
2. only one wingtank, again a PA14 thing, the PA-18's had two wingtanks
3. no flaps on the kit wing - PA-18 has flaps
IMG_20181231_071848 by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr
The model I am doing is a L-18c used by the US ARMY to train artillary spotters in the early 1950's. The later more powerfull Supercubs became the L-21.
Anyway, I had to basically build the whole cockpit from sheet and sprue, the seats, all the tube members ect.
IMG_20181231_071715 by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr
The red thing on the firewall is te header tank for the engine
IMG_20181231_071800 by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr

Theuns

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello Theuns been looking at your build an rather liked your nice control panel in the plane an how its coming togeather how long have you been doing this build ? an how big will the wing span be an length ? chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work theuns , it must be great when youre in the business like yourself and you can use the real thing for reference . Top scratchbuilding with the cockpit , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
an how big will the wing span be an length ?
The real thing is 6.88 m long and has a 10.73 m wingspan, so in 1/32 that makes 21.5 cm long and 33.5 cm wide. Quite modest for a model in this scale, I must say — especially compared to some of the four-engined bomber kits coming out of late, of course :smiling3:

T

T. van Vuuren

Chris I started the cockpit floot a few months ago and boxed it till now. The kit wingspan is aboaut 21 odd cm

The plane I am modling is the full size L-18c replica I built and flew in 2007 till 2017. I did my tail wheel training in it, was a really nice aerie to fly and I miss it :sad:
Atleast I got to take my 2 kids for some flying before I sold it , cant beat that :smiling:kids (5).JPGkids (2).JPG

I had custom decals made up to look like the full size. I am not going super spot on detail with this build, just near enough to look like my old aerie ;) The name on the cowl "Little Miss Chievious" was for my eldest that was born just before I completed the plane

Theunszu-emx 1.jpgZU-EMX8-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello Theuns well I think you did a fantastic job on this plane an if the model comes up like the real thing its thumbs up an some really nice pic's v- well done an what is tail wheel training ? is it a training course to see how well you can handle the plane on the ground eg. taxiying an such ? chris

T

T. van Vuuren

Here in South Africa you need a rating for all different tipes of undercart. My initial licence on Cessna 150/172 gave me a rati ng for light cessna tipe with fixed tricycle gear.
Then when I fel the chipmunk,Tiger and the L-18 (all tail wheel planes) I had to get a rating to be able to fly those as the ground handling ,taxi, take off and landing is allot different to the nose wheel aeries.

With a tail wheel one needs to be allot more awake to stop the tail passing the plane LOL

I was very lucky as my tal instructor was an old mate that was an Air force instructor that tought students to fly Cessna 185 bush planes....they are really "not for beginners" LOL

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its going to look excellent in that scheme theuns