1/32 Mustang IV Tamiya

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is completed as an aircraft on No. 19 Squadron RAF, late 1944. It's 'out of the box' with the exception of suitable decals from Xtradecal.

Build thread here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/

And here is one of my walkarounds.

PFQ.jpg

Prt.jpgPRQ.jpgSRQ.jpgStbd.jpgSFQ.jpg

And a bonus shot which shows the slightly unusual US equivalent camouflage colours and pattern. Your trusty photographer came equipped with a step ladder for this one!

PRQ_2.jpg

It's one of Tamiya's 'uber kits'. You get a LOT for your money and it was a pleasure to build.

Cheers

Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve

That really is looking very special indeed. Very well done. You should be very pleased that!!

ATB

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build steve , the US take on our camo colours Is a strange one though , looks more like FAA colours , still , great to see a mustang in paint rather than NMF , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

It is a really nice kit to build and though I didn't, you could just follow the instructions to get a nice result :smiling3:

@Tony, oddly enough I thought exactly the same thing, it looks more like the Temperate Sea Scheme than the Day Fighter Scheme. The grey is much darker than the RAF's Ocean Grey, closer to the FAA's Extra Dark Sea Grey and the green is closer to the FAA's mis-named Dark Slate Grey (which is distinctly green) than it is to the RAF's Dark Green. Even the grey underside is so light that it really doesn't look much like Medium Sea Grey.
The British Purchasing Commission accepted these substitutions when they bought the aircraft, which were painted by the Americans, so they must have been literally 'close enough for government work'!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You popped that one out quick!
Great job. They look good in camo.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You popped that one out quick!
Great job. They look good in camo.

A bit too quick! I will now have a pause before the BoB group build. The kit is so easy to build and engineered in such a way that you can always be doing something while something else is being painted, drying etc. (as long as you don't follow instructions too slavishly).

I've spotted one of Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire XVIs, basically a Mk IX powered by a Packard Merlin 266, the kit is for a low-back, clipped wing version. It is going for £112, which is a good price. I might just order it for....errr....later :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
But Keynes would have you borrowing to pay the £125 and to then borrow more for the decals. Milton Friedman more like...

Good point Barry. Mind you, I might have to borrow the money from funds assigned to other expenditure!

I've gone and ordered the kit anyway.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful finish (as always) Steve to a fabulous looking Mustang.
It appears to be taking off from a school field! Where is it?

Cheers
paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'Somewhere in England' is all I'm allowed to say ;)

Seriously, it's a back drop, as used by the model railway fraternity, so I don't really know. They come in long rolls, so I was able to chop off the modern shopping centre, parked Volkeswagen Polos, etc. and leave the buildings that might feasibly look old enough. The sharp eyed will notice the modern features though (fencing, street lights, portacabins)

Cheers

Jasper Maskelyne

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I thought you were brave squeezing this build in. But there you go, finished with loads of time spare. Splendid job.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result Steve, nice to see your lovely display photos again too.