1/32 Revell Bf 109 G-6

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just finished the primer on the model which leads me to the question of camouflage.

There are two options offered, an early and a late version.

The first thing to note is that the instructions have the two colours, RLM 74 and RLM 75 reversed in both options. It is the RLM 74, usually described by Messerschmitt as 'Dunkelgrau, Grunlich' (greenish dark gray) or 'Graugrun' (grey-green) which was the darker colour. There was a scheme with the colours reversed, a so called negative scheme, but it was only seen on very late war Diana and W.N.F. built G-10s and some K-4s. It is not appropriate for any G-6 or G-14.

Next up is the early scheme. I don't recognise it. There was a vaguely similar scheme which would be appropriate for both an early and a late G-6, but the one in the instructions is not it.

The late scheme in the instructions is correct as a version of a scheme more likely to be seen on early G-14s (and G-14 AS). However, I'm probably going to go with this on my model because it is not completely implausible that it might have had something like it. It is also a scheme that I can spray free-hand rather than masking up for harder edges.

Boring picture of a grey primed Bf 109!

IMG_2637.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decision time on he spinner! The light green seems odd to me so I started looking for the evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs, as the old saying goes.

I found a picture of my man Dorr, flanked by Walter Schuck (to his left), Heinrich Ehrler and Jacob Norz all standing in front of a likely looking aeroplane. The problem is there is no way of knowing whose aeroplane it is. There's a few iron crosses on display!

This was a serious business.

Schuck was credited with 181 victories (from 206 claims) and lived until 2015. He was 94 years old when he passed away.

Ehrler is sometimes credited with as many as 208 victories, but his total is probably somewhat less, somewhere between 150 and 175 would be a reasonable estimate. Ehrler was made a scapegoat for the Luftwaffe's failed response to the final and fatal attack on Tirpitz. He was sentenced to prison but never served. He was killed just before the end of the war, on 4 April, flying an Me 262. He was 27 years old.

Norz was another ''expert'', credited with 104 victories. He was killed on 16 September 1944 attempting a forced landing in rough terrain. He was 24 years old.

Schuck_Dorr_Ehrler_Norz.png

However, that spinner is at least as dark as the propeller blades (RLM 70) and could easily be black.

I'm going with one of those.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've sprayed the camouflage, including a very minimal amount of mottle and also sprayed the national markings and Reich defence bands. I have masks for the swastikas, but I might go with decals (not included in the kit).

It made a change not to have to muck about masking the camouflage, which is all applied free-hand.

IMG_2638.JPG

Next up a couple of coats of gloss and the decals.

Edit: I remembered to spray the dotted red walkway lines before the gloss coats....phew!

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve
Great result with the G6. Paintwork exemplary, as per usual! Flawless model.
Have you seen the 1/35 kit of the G6 from Border models. I’m guessing that you’d possibly ‘pass’ on the kit because of the scale
But I’m looking at the kit and thinking it’s not a bad rendition. The gun blisters look better than the Revell and, although it costs possibly twice as much as the ‘cheap and cheerful’ Revell it’s still on par with say, Eduard or Trumpeter. I hear they’ve fixed a few gripes and I really think I might take a look. It obviously lends itself to diorama but I really think the kit stands on its own 2 feet.
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Again, fabulous model - well researched and executed.
Cheers
Paul