1/32 Revell Fw190 G8 'Red 12' 5./SG10

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So in response to my He111 meltdown, i've decided to have a go at this kit as a way of chilling out. The Fw190 F8 series aircraft were virtually identical externally to the G8 series. So i've always loved a box art picture from an old 1/48 Dragon/Revell Fw190 G8 kit. The red banding and grey scheme looks great.

So i am going to try and replicate that with Revell's new 1/32 kit. Also it'll be the first time i've had a bash at building an engine and showing it. I'll do a little scratch building but not much.

So this....

IMG_1892.JPG

into this....

Fw190 G8.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great choice and nice color scheme, I'll be looking over your shoulder Alan :thumb2:
Steven

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Count me in Al, anyone would have thought you like the butcher bird:thumb2:

Bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
anyone would have thought you like the butcher bird:thumb2:

Who me? What ever gave you that idea? It's not like i named myself after something i like eh? ;)

But now you come to mention it........ Butcher Bird Al does have a certain presence and ring to it lol

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice scheme - no mottling! I suppose it would be pointless with a bright red nose band and rudder.
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Made a start on the kit last night. Not starting with the cockpit just yet as i'm trying to figure something out with it. So i started with the engine. I'm going to try and pose this aircraft with the engine showing. I think the kit has quite nice detailing although there are a few missing bits that i think obvious to anyone that knows a little about the BMW 801. So i am going to be doing a little scratch building in this area. So in order to do that. I need pics! And detailed ones at that.

IMG_1894.JPGIMG_1895.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Alan. Will be following this one.

ATB

ANDREW

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Nice project. Detailing the engine will involve a lot of wires and pipes by the look of those photos.
Jim

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
There's some nice detailing going on there Alan. Keep the good work up.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
14 cylinders Bob. Then i have to think about the electrical wiring, filter and associated pipework. Also got to craft some other bits. Not going overboard but it is a wurger after all so it deserves some extra details :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That timeless moment when you stand back and have a look at your work and think..... something doesn't look quite right. What have i missed.......?

And then it hits you like a lead wreaking ball! I've only gone and put the pipes in the wrong spot! Mucho swearo! Cannot type what i was muttering under my breath.

Right. Time to remove the pipes, re-make and reposition. Hmmmmm

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Made a little progress with this today. Whilst i'm awaiting some 0.3mm and 0.5mm beadwire to arrive from evilbay i made a start on the cockpit and a few other things. I've re-done three pipes so far on the engine but i'm at standstill until the other wire arrives. I figured the 0.5mm copper wire was to thick and a total pain to bend how i wanted it.

Will be painting the RLM 02 and 66 areas later. Then i'll try and detail/decal the cockpit, seat and IP.

IMG_1910.JPGIMG_1911.JPGIMG_1912.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress :thumb2: and interesting to see how you sorted the different size wires, I should do something like that too :thinking:
Have fun!
Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I had to do that Steven. I have so much wire that it would be a total pain to try and go through it to find the bit i wanted. This way there is more than enough for a couple of builds in each tube and i can hide away the rest.