1/32 Revell Fw190 G8 'Red 12' 5./SG10

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well that is the wiring done. May add a couple of pipes but not sure. Depends what can be seen from the open panels. Not the cleanest job and i will most certainly do it totally different should i do this again. Lessons learned and all that. But if you don't try, you don't know.
Time to touch up the painting.

IMG_2036.JPGIMG_2038.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think that looks pretty cool Alan. Nice job on the knitting.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tim. Bit of a labour of love and mucho swearo went on. But it feels good to have attempted it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Exhausts all fitted now. Not a great fit as some of the detailing i've added is getting in the way. But it'll do for now and you'll not see much with only the top engine panels being open. Time to try and mount this engine in the bay now. Then i can start to try and make up the (apparently) very tricky designed cowling.

IMG_2046.JPGIMG_2047.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Tim. It's a shame my photographic skills don't actually capture the colours well. I added an engine wash (AK Interactive) to the cylinders and obviously the pigments to the exhausts simulating rust. In natural daylight they do look rather good.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alan. Try photographing the engine against a lighter mid grey background. You are using a black background and the camera is trying to optimise that as a grey. The camera exposure meter is designed to make the largest area on the picture (the background) the mid tone, analogous to mid grey. It therefore overexposes the image, blowing the highs and washing out the colours and subtleties. If the background already is a mid tone it will correctly expose the image.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks much better Alan. The rust colours on the exhaust are showing the subtleties in the painting now. Just as an experiment, try to find something that is in between these two backgrounds and photograph against that (something close to Vallejo neutral grey is a good approximation). It may well improve definition yet again....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You go to all that effort of detailing the engine then once it's in place, you see naff all of it lol. Well at least i know it's there i suppose.
Wings are on too. Both the cowls and wing tops are rubbish fits. Will know better for the next one i do. Might take the locating pins off and make the wings fit that way instead. But its getting there now.

IMG_2053.JPGIMG_2054.JPGIMG_2055.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
We a
You go to all that effort of detailing the engine then once it's in place, you see naff all of it lol. Well at least i know it's there i suppose...
We all know it's there Alan! :nerd::smiling5:
Looking forward to the rest :thumb2:
Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Actually if i was to have the upper gunbay open then you'd see a lot more. But as the G8 had the upper machine guns removed there is no point in showing an empty bay lol.

The next one i do ( a proper F8 with all that AM and a dio) will have everything on show.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So a very small progression on this build. Been working like a trojan over the Christmas/New year period (still am really) so very little bench time.

Made up some brake lines with wire and brass tube for the hydraulic connectors. Flattened out some 1mm lead wire and cut in half to make some worm clamps to hold the brake line.

'Painted' the oleo strut with my Molotow marker (hidden under the masking tape). Never used one before but it came out good.

IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2061.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
A small but lovely detail :thumb2:
Looking good, you can't rush art!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is a splendid looking engine. The exhausts look bang on to. I used one of those chrome pens once, maybe twice, and that was it. After a brief spell of a nice chrome paint, all I got was silver.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Came in from the farm today and thought i'd get a few little bits done. The two outboard 300L drop tanks and SC500 have been made up and sanded flush. There are a couple of little marks that are still present on the fuel tanks but, if they show up through the paint then i'll let them go down as wear n tear. After all i doubt these fuel tanks in the field were kept in pristine condition. Used a Flory wash on the undercarriage doors. Just need to seal it in with a matt coat.
Also trying to make an electrical harness for the main leg retraction arms. Drilling with 0.3mm drill bits take time and a lot of patience.

IMG_2077.JPG