1/32 Scale Household Cavalry Corporal of Horse, 1916

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I so enjoyed painting the Airfix US Marine that I decided to paint something else right away!
This is a Tommy’s war figure I’ve had primed and ready since May 2021 when I used him as a size guide for the RGA Gunner I sculpted (Link HERE if anyone’s interested), but never quite had the guts to paint.
I have to say he was a delight to paint (sculpted by Nino Pizzichemi), the detail is very crisp and the casting very clean. Sadly, the future for Tommy’s War is uncertain as Darren Parker-Mead has decided to close down at the end of this year, and it’s not known whether he will sell the moulds and rights or not. He has given plenty of fair warning and has full stocks of almost everything for now, but time will be called eventually.
Just for clarity I have no connection with Tommy’s War other than being a customer

I didn’t do a thread because I didn’t feel like it, but I’m rather pleased with the outcome so I thought I would post him.
The base is also from Tommy’s War , made by our very own @Andy Belsey. I just added the roots and the barbed wire

Household Cavalry 1916 A.JPG

Household Cavalry 1916 B.JPG

Household Cavalry 1916 C.JPG

Household Cavalry 1916 D.JPG

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nicely done Neil, I really like the look of him.

And the sculpting thread you have linked to is fascinating! I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Far too much to digest in one sitting but I'll be back to read it through thoroughly.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Fantastic work Neil!!! It's good to see the Mojo is flying high and the urge to paint, even more. It is sad about Darren and Tommy's War. I have had some great talks with him at shows and his products are first-rate!!! Andy's work is also classic too...If only I could paint figs so well...........

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is excellent Neil. Too bad about T.W. closing down, it's really bad in my neck of the woods as 1-87 scale, being the scale most people modeled in is losing more and more of their manufacturing base. Particularly the small vendors that produced a very large portion of the detail parts for locos and rolling stock. If you like what T.W. has to offer, I'd stock up now. Once they close their doors, I'm sure this stuff will start going for insane prices on eBay. ;)

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Nicely done Neil, I really like the look of him.

And the sculpting thread you have linked to is fascinating! I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Far too much to digest in one sitting but I'll be back to read it through thoroughly.
Thanks Andy, it was two years ago and if figures are not your main interest it's no surprise you missed the thread. I hope you find it useful.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Fantastic work Neil!!! It's good to see the Mojo is flying high and the urge to paint, even more. It is sad about Darren and Tommy's War. I have had some great talks with him at shows and his products are first-rate!!! Andy's work is also classic too...If only I could paint figs so well...........

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen, I've got to knuckle down and do some real world stuff for a bit now :rolling:
Yes, very sad about Darren retiring but I sympathize with his reasoning. I was originally hoping I could interest him in my gunners but I guess that ship has sailed....
I have every confidence in your ability to paint the figures for the Halberstadt, just treat the clothes as you would large bits of stowage.....
And brown inks are very good for representing leather FYI.
Looking forward to them

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That is excellent Neil. Too bad about T.W. closing down, it's really bad in my neck of the woods as 1-87 scale, being the scale most people modeled in is losing more and more of their manufacturing base. Particularly the small vendors that produced a very large portion of the detail parts for locos and rolling stock. If you like what T.W. has to offer, I'd stock up now. Once they close their doors, I'm sure this stuff will start going for insane prices on eBay. ;)
Thanks Rick. You're right, I am stocking up the stash. Even though I mostly make my own figures, I have now discovered the pleasure of painting a really good sculpt.
Who'd have thought it,the way I have belly-ached all these years :tears-of-joy:?