1/32 Seafang 32 Iconicair

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here the completed Iconicair 1/32 Seafang 32. Build thread is here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-32-seafang-from-iconicair.33852/

It’s a nice kit, but is obviously a fairly limited run resin kit and it won’t jump out of the box and build itself. Any model builder with a bit of experience should have no trouble at all assembling the kit.

First, one of my few reference pictures, probably from December 1946, and then my attempt to replicate it. The model has no weathering at all. In the few photographs available the aircraft looks pristine, as you’d expect of a development aircraft at various aircraft establishments.

5604L_web_zpscmfqvt3g.jpg

P1000220_zpszytarftz.jpg

And here’s a walk around of the model.

P1000212_zpsfzzlg14k.jpg

P1000218_zpssc29vooc.jpg

P1000217_zpse8rohiwz.jpg

P1000219_zpsj42uyhlp.jpg

P1000213_zpsp2yi0teh.jpg

The Seafang was a navalised version of the Spiteful. Without going into mind numbing detail the Spiteful was basically a Spitfire with an improved wing. It was also the fastest piston engine fighter ever built in level flight. In early 1946 Spiteful RB518 achieved a speed of 494 mph at 27,500 feet.

On 7th October 1943 Supermarine published Specification 474 for the Type 382, which was for a development of the Seafire XV, with a laminar flow wing (like the Spiteful) and a Griffon 61 engine. The proposal was ignored by the Navy and Ministry of Aircraft Production.

It wasn’t until after the Spiteful prototype had flown, that the Navy showed any interest in a development of the Seafire and on 21st April 1945 the Air Ministry issued Specification N.5/45 for a single seat Fleet Air Arm Fighter. Two development aircraft were ordered, serial VB893 and VB895, one of which I have completed above.

VB895, fitted with a Griffon 89 engine and designated Seafang 32, was used for trials throughout 1946 and into 1948. It also performed demonstrations for Dutch, American and French naval officers, but in the end no orders were received. This was the dawn of the jet age and even a 490mph piston engine fighter would soon be obsolete. The Royal Navy, and others, ordered the Hawker Sea Fury as a transitional carrier aircraft and only nine Seafangs were delivered (out of a total of one hundred and fifty originally ordered).

It was the end of a long line of superb aircraft stretching back to the first flight of K5054 on 5th March 1936.

Cheers

Steve

A

andyrobs

Cracking build Steve, nice history on it as well

Cheers, Andrew

F

Fenlander

Superb build Steve and a great background story with it. I do admire and appreciate all the information you give on your builds.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lovely build, and nice to follow the process and have a liitle bit of history as well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build steve, in every sense.Not only a thoroughly enjoyable construction but also your usual impeccably researched and fascinating historical background too . Top drawer stuff mate , cheers tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great very nice and clean work on this one,very well done, ;)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is just superb in every aspect and I have been following the thread too.

Excellant

I like the History aspect aswell which gives us a glimpse at your vast knowledge

Well done

( Awesome)

Regards

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I have to admit, I don't think I've come across one of these before and I didn't even see the build thread so apologies!

Really looks like it was designed for speed doesn't it.

Another cracking build as always from your good self, just really nice mate.

Your really churning them out at a rate and thanks for the history lesson.

Phil

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another stunning build for your shelves Steve and once again some great history to go with the build.

I just have one question

What's next ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks all for the positive comments, they are appreciated.

Next up is probably Revell's He 219, though I haven't decided which particular aircraft to model yet.

Here's a bit of fun. My interest in the history and development of all these aircraft is no secret and one of the fun aspects of building models is that you can have your own virtual airshow line up. I've taken the picture below to show just how far the Spitfire design came from the 1,000 hp Merlin powered Spitfire I, here as it would have appeared in late 1939/early 1940, and the 2,350 hp Griffon powered Seafang, as it would have appeared in late 1946. In six years the design had also progressed from a maximum speed of about 360 mph to one in excess of 480 mph, which, frankly, is pretty amazing.

P1000223_zpsyjihxdbx.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking Spiteful Steve. I too enjoyed the build thread. That's a great photo of the Mk1 and Spiteful together.

B

BigZimmo

Great job, Steve......and nice history lesson!

:smiling3:

Last edited: