1/32 Special Hobby Fi 103A-1/Re 4

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a V-1 with a pilot. It's also why I didn't do an 'under construction' thread, as I've just built one without a pilot! This one was a gift and will shortly be off to be smashed to pieces by a three year old, so I thought I'd better take some pictures.

This allegedly a 1/32 scale model, but none of my selection of 1/32 German pilots came close to fitting. In the end I volunteered the closest fit, not the best figure. I reckon this model is somewhere between 1/40 and 1/35 scale. He might have been dismayed to be volunteered to fly this contraption but he would have been more alarmed if he had any idea of the surgery required to make him fit. It makes Douglas Bader's injuries look like a grazed knee! He has had one arm shortened by about 6 scale inches to enable him to hold the control column, the other amputated at the wrist and both legs amputated below the knee. If that wasn't enough he also had his shoulders trimmed to fit inside the cockpit sills. There's only about 60% of him left :flushed:

Anyway, here are some pictures.

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

You might ask where did you find a sky with some clouds in it, given the beautiful weather we are enjoying at the moment?

On my work bench!

IMG_2084.JPG

Cheers

Bob Ross

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mr. Stona, excellent 'Suicide Jocky' ride!

Thanks for using my late father's 'Fun' painting technique.....

Regards.
Robert Steven 'Steve' Ross.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one Steve. One can only hope it survives for more than the first test flight!

PS As this won't be going on your display shelf ....?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job Steve , I can see the panic in the pilots eyes ! Great camo btw , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great photos Steve, I like your backdrop. :smiling3: I guess the pilot would have sat in a laid back position? No point in being unnecessarily uncomfortable as you reach top of descent...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice build Steve and a brilliant idea for the back drop. I might steal that idea.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking kamikaze buzz bomb Steve, love the ‘’sky’’ back drop :thumb2: :thumb2: