1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This will be my next project. I have gone for what I know ill be an easy option, having made a couple of Tamiya Spitfires previously.

Here's the kit.

IMG_2457.JPG

I think enough people have already posted the contents of Tamiya Spitfire kits for me not to bother :smiling3:

I have no idea which specific aircraft I will be making from the kit. I have got a selection of masks and decals to hand, so I will certainly not be using the Tamiya decals and will try to come up with something interesting from the immediate post war period/occupation of Germany.

Today I'm thinking it will end up in flight, pilot in*, configured for landing. It's the only way it will fit on my shelves at the moment!

*I think there is one in the kit, but if not I've got a suitable candidate somewhere.

Onwards and upwards...or at least out to the bench.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That’s a great kit Steve. Enjoy it, I will be following it.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This will be my next project. I have gone for what I know ill be an easy option, having made a couple of Tamiya Spitfires previously.

Here's the kit.

View attachment 417503

I think enough people have already posted the contents of Tamiya Spitfire kits for me not to bother :smiling3:

I have no idea which specific aircraft I will be making from the kit. I have got a selection of masks and decals to hand, so I will certainly not be using the Tamiya decals and will try to come up with something interesting from the immediate post war period/occupation of Germany.

Today I'm thinking it will end up in flight, pilot in*, configured for landing. It's the only way it will fit on my shelves at the moment!

*I think there is one in the kit, but if not I've got a suitable candidate somewhere.

Onwards and upwards...or at least out to the bench.
Good to see you back at the bench Steve.

Will be following this one with interest.

ATB.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It was very strange Andrew, it was on my phone and had no-where to go but post something, very weird. I really am looking forward to Steve's build though...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have actually spent a few hours on this, though the results are not exactly exciting!

It's a Tamiya kit so it is all beautifully moulded. I have drilled out the lightening holes in various frames where appropriate. I know nothing about the manufacturing processes but I imagine moulding 0.6mm and 0.8mm holes about the same distance apart is a difficult proposition.

IMG_2458.JPG

I am going to fit the supplied pilot as this Spitfire will be posed in flight.

Is it me, or are Tamiya figures all midgets? This one is obviously made to fit the kit, his parachute gives him a nice flat, if slightly unrealistic, arse but he seems a lot smaller than most of the others I've made :smiling3:

See the bottle labelled 'ACC'? I had no idea what it was but remembering my old chemistry teacher Mr Roberts I gave it a sniff and a quick taste. It turned out to be some home made accelerant for CA glue!

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been painting some of the detail in what will be the cockpit, to which end I decided to open a new tinlet of aluminium paint, An original tin of White Ensign Colourcoat Matt Aluminium to be precise.

The paint has been stored in a cool cupboard for quite a while, White Ensign or at least the Colourcoat paint line became part of Sovereign Hobbies years ago. However, I was not expecting so much excitement from a tinlet of paint!

As I prised up the lid there was a loud pop and the lid flew off, just missing giving my eyebrows an aluminium tint, before hitting the ceiling and returning to earth! Clearly something of a gas build up in the tinlet, and the release of pressure left the paint if not fizzing then bubbling. At least it all stayed in the tinlet.
The good news is that the paint seems to work perfectly well :smiling3:

I'll post some pictures (of the cockpit, not the tinlet) in the next day or so.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for the update Steve. Most importantly glad to hear a trip to A&E wasn’t necessary after the paint incident!!!;)

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very slow progress!

Lovely kit, beautifully moulded and already some very clever engineering. I actually like the way the instrument panel is done with clear parts and 'reverse' decals. I'm not sure that the gunsight (on the pink-tac and unintentionally camouflaged against the black of the kit box) needed to be comprised of two plastic parts, two clear parts and a piece of photo-etch....but there you go :smiling3:

IMG_2460.JPG

The only thing I'm not impressed with is the pilot. Usually at this scale I would use an after market figure and it would be much better than the one in the Tamiya kit.
He will be largely unseen from the midriff down, so I'm not going to stress about him.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so far Steve.

ATB.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm really going to stop banging on about this, but the engineering and fit of this kit is as good as I remember it to be. It is insanely good.

I decided to fit the cockpit and couple of other necessary bits so that I could join the fuselage halves. This is the result, held together by five pieces of tape. It almost clicks together! I have not glued the cockpit to either half, and probably won't, it's not going anywhere. I'll just run some extra thin around the bulkhead at the front (which is not visible in the piccy) and the join between the two halves and Bob should be your uncle.

IMG_2469.JPG

Some of you will know that I'm not averse to a challenge, the odd resin speciality, etc., but I have to say this is rather fun :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent stuff Steve. The pilot looks well at home. Nice to have a well fitting build occasionally :thumb2:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got to a point where I can dry fit the wings, there's more to be done on them before I permanently attach them.

IMG_2471.JPG

The fit is very good indeed, which is just as well because I have now committed, by fitting various wing panels, to making this a post war uncamouflaged Spitfire.

Service Spitfires were never 'natural metal', they were always finished with an aluminium paint but on a model that can be very unforgiving, hence the relief at the fit. Any remedial work makes achieving a good 'silver' finish much more difficult. It's a challenge I have no desire to embark on...again :smiling3:

There's obviously quite a big bit to go on the front, but that will not be completed in its entirety. As the model will be 'flying' all panels will be zipped up. I am firmly in Ron's 'if you can't see it why fix it/paint it school', so enough of the engine will be built to fit the exhausts, panels and a spinner at the front but no more.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Close of play and I've got all the gubbins in the wings, various panels, radiators, wheel wells etc.

I've also got the socket for my stand fitted, a little further back than I would like, but in the first part of the fuselage without something in the way.

IMG_2472.JPG

I've also permanently (I hope) attached the wings.

IMG_2473.JPG

Next up, I suspect, will be the pointy bit at the front :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
‘Gubbins’ you are certainly up with all the most technical terms Steve... great progress heading towards a museum piece.

you are right about the fit and engineering Steve. Superlative as are all kthe 1/32 Tamiya WW2 warbirds. Every one a real treat to build....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Packard engine in this thing is a model in itself and I spent a while trying to figure out a way of building the nose of the model without fitting the engine, so that I could make the engine as a separate display.

Sadly, it was beyond my ability. The kit really is engineered to have the engine fitted. Consequently, I built enough of it to allow me to build up the nose of the aircraft around it.

IMG_2474.JPG

Finally, after fitting well over a hundred parts, I found something that did not fit absolutely perfectly! The top engine cowling needed shimming with some very thin card at the lower rear corners to make it fit exactly. The part is so thinly and finely moulded that this is very easily done and really nothing to complain about :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice work Steve

I built three of the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfires

My first was a MkXVI and I have to say you made a better job than me of getting the panels to fit. I had a lot more filling and sanding to do.

For my secondI approached it slightly differently. A MkIX and I got a much better panel fit, almost perfect with just a little filler.

Mk VIII was the last and with another smaller change to my approach and all panels fitted perfectly.

All these kits had identical engineering in this area and shared mostly the same parts (if not all the same) so my conclusion is that all fitting errors we’re down to me not the kit!

Your Spit is looking great Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
In the case of the top cowling it was just a bit 'pinched' in the bottom corners to the rear. You will be well aware how thin the moulding is, so just a little shim to 'lift' those corners and it all went together well.

I had a bit of an issue with the panels on the Mk IX I built not long after this series of kits was started but it was so long ago I don't remember what. I know the solution involved quite a lot of effing and blinding!

I also had a bit of practice not so long ago with my Mustang, which has a broadly similar arrangement of panels and cowlings.

I think the trick is in the fit of the firewall/engine bearer/engine then and those fiddly bits with the panel attachments and exhaust manifolds. It's very easy to get things out of line, particularly the nose slightly twisted and aiming of one way or the other. Even half a millimetre will play havoc with the panel fit. After that, I would also always work from the bottom up, not following the instructions. The lower cowling (with air intake) can only fit one way and very precisely at that. It gives a good starting and reference point for all the rest and also ensures that the engine assembly is correctly aligned in the vertical sense. You can probably tell I've given this a lot of thought :smiling3:

It was that initial fit that I could not work out a way of exactly replicating without using the engine itself. I know what would have happened if I'd tried and got it wrong.