1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I now have an entirely 'silver' Spitfire.

IMG_2476.JPG

This is finished in Alclad II's 'High Speed Silver', which was actually a finish not used on the Spitfire. I intend to modulate this with another aluminium finish and eventually it will get knocked back with varnishes and other weathering. I do not want a shiny sparkly finish, I'm not trying to replicate natural metal but an aluminium dope.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Steve. I've built a couple of the Tamiya 1:32's and you can't help but smile at the fit of things - they really are amazing kits.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some slow progress.

I'm masking and spraying all the single colours, like that yellow band, anti-glare panel and soon the code letters and serial number on the fuselage and under the wings. As I use enamel paints it's a lengthy process.

BTW, those walkway markings are correct for this, a post war aircraft. They would be wrong for most wartime Spitfires.

IMG_2477.JPG

Once I finish that it will be onto the national markings (roundels and fin flash).

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on nicely Steve. Well done.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is one very clean and precise build Steve.
When you first mentioned a silver spitfire, I thought that you was going full one polished metal. But they do look nice in the "speed silver".

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I sprayed the rest of the markings yesterday and have done a couple of touch ups this morning.

Sprayed markings are better than decals in this scale (and Tamiya decals are not the best in my experience), but it is almost guaranteed that something, somewhere, will leak under a mask and run along a panel line! Luckily a dab with a fine brush is all that is needed to fix it.

IMG_2482.JPG

Those post war roundels are very...errr...bright. No wonder the wartime colours were toned down and the white of the red-white-blue much reduced or deleted!

I plan to mask up the underside later and start to spray the roundels and serial numbers under the wings.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve

Hope all is well with you?

That really has turned out beautifully indeed and is a nice change from the usual WW2 brown/green scheme.

All the best.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now applied the innumerable stencils and got the overall finish to just about where I want it.

There's still some weathering to do and a bit of final assembly, I'm sure the sharp eyed have noticed a distinct lack of exhausts for example, but I should get it done over the next few days.

Here's how it looks, waiting for a coat of varnish to go off before applying any washes.

IMG_2484.JPG

I also need to think about a stand. I still have an aluminium plate....somewhere.....and will probably use the acrylic it's perched on now.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely indeed Steve. Well done.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a go at getting all the sticky out bits (another technical term) and sticky in bits (the wheels) done. I've also applied a bit of weathering, nothing too drastic.

The model is now near as anything done, I just need to find the bits for the stand. I don't think that my vice sets it off quite as I would like :smiling3:

IMG_2485.JPG

When I do find the bits I'll knock up a stand, or failing that borrow one from another build, and post a 'completed' thread.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve.

Looking very good indeed.

Personally I think the vice has a certain rustic charm!! ;)

ATB.

Andrew