1:35 Ark Models AK 35002 ZiS-5 Russian truck

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Hi all

I hope I am initiating this correctly by simply starting a new thread - if not I apologise for any inconvenience this might cause!

The subject I would like to participate in this group build with is actually very close to a 1:35 Zvezda kit I am "civilising" during these weeks, a GAZ-AA, which had hard plastic with lots of mold lines and flash... For me, this is among other things a comparison build, to see if the Ark Models level of quality is any better. As you can hopefully see from the sprue pictures below, the print quality is the same, so I am just hoping for less hard plastic to work with. As can also be seen in the pictures below, the instructions look positively worse than ICM and Dragon ones! No colour codes...

Either way, I am sure I will have fun making a civil version of this truck as well, to use with me model railway (1:32, so close enough!).

One big positive is that the rubber parts of the wheels are separate, so no paint issues with those. It always disappoints me when the kit maker just makes wheels, be they on a tank or car, all in one piece, considerably adding to the bothersome parts of the painting process.

Scalemates link, where you can also see this kit has been released a bunch of times, also in some variants: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/965252-ark-models-35002-zis-5-russian-wwii-truck

I very much look forward to participating in this GB :smiling:

IMG_0247.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0241.jpgIMG_0242.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMG_0244.jpgIMG_0245.jpgIMG_0246.jpg

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Built the engine and the front wheel "holder".

Took longer than it had to because every part except for two small ones had mold lines.

And the instructions for the latter part is pictured below ;)IMG_0344.JPGIMG_0345.JPGIMG_0346.JPGIMG_0258.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Christian.
Great start, the engine looks very clean indeed, after all the work you've done.
I've built or attempted to build the this truck by several different makes. The Zvezda kit did have loads of flash as yours. Many of their earlier kits like the StuG were really bad for flash.
I've tried a MiniArt, very soft plastic, good instructions though .Tried a Hobby Boss, gave up, just couldn't manage the small parts and the rear axle.
No doubt you will keep it square when doing the chassis's, as for those tyres most people on here seem to dislike the rubber tyres.
I shall follow this with interest.
John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Christian,
This model has seen several reboxings, from it's 1995 original Alan Hobbies, through Eastern Express, Dragon, as well as Ark. It's a touch crude, but the parts are all there, hidden amongst the flash, and the mould lines! The rubber tyres, I always wash them thoroughly ( I use an ultrasonic cleaner ), then prime them all over before basecoating ( all before assembly ). I'm not a great fan, but you have to work with what you've got. I've got an Ark Katyusha somewhere in the stash, with the ZiS as the base vehicle - I may get round to it one day!
Dave

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thanks for the feedback, John and Dave :smiling:

The tyres are actually made of plastic, so that aspect of the kit should then satisfy on here. However, I would still not recommend it for an easy build - it's a flash & mold-kit, no doubt about it.