1/35 ChTZ 60 Stalinetz Tractor by Thunder Models.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Sorry to hear about your woes. I have only built one thunder model and It was a pig, beautifully detailed but 10 tiny pieces to make one part. Well done for sticking with it. Once the paint is on it will look a whole lot better.

Thanks Paul, yes your spot on about the 10 for 1 bit.
I'm just hoping the planned dio can hide a lot !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Problems yes caused by an over engineered kit. As Scottie says 10 parts when Tamiya would only use a couple. I seem to remember struggling with a Tristar kit years ago and that was the same. Looking at the pictures though you're well on the way. Tracks are fine and could have been a real kit breaker. Paint and Russian mud will come to your aid :tongue-out3:
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,
A bridge too far on this one then mate:sad-face:
To be fair to you, it looks bloody fiddly!! And if the destructions are unclear too....well what can you do?

Hope your not too being too hard on yourself, you get 10/10 for giving it a shot.....as Jim says, paint and mud will only help:thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Soldier on buddy. Remember the gardening absolves all sins:smiling4:. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim, Si, and Paul .
Thanks for your support and kind comments.

None of us want easy, but in this case as it's been said over engineered , and to the extreme. I'd like to see a good modeller have a go and read what they have to say. Hopefully PMMS may do a review. I notice that Mr Ashley had problems with their Scammell, the PE was so thin he made a replacement tray out of plastic strip !

It nearly ended up on the floor, but as I've got older I'd rather push and make something of it. I managed to get the first top and front bend done tonight on the tracks, in doing so a strip of plastic from u bolt plate fell off !

With bit of careful placement I should be able to hide a lot. ( Bogged down up to the engine comes to mind ) No not really.
Reading what you think of the kit has made me feel a lot better so thanks.
John .:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John I no you were look looking forward to getting this model, you certainly had a few trials and tribulations with it I hope you stick with it the work you've done up to now is certainly ok, as you mentioned glue there is a little bit here and there that you can see :smiling3: .I hope you stay with it my friend.
Pete.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I didn't mean to be flippant John. You've put a lot of effort into a not perfect kit. I know you can put it in its best light, so I'd hate to see you bin it. PaulE.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The over use of small parts seems to be a common 'problem' - I guess the collective 'we' have spent years asking for better and better detailed kits and this is the result.

I have a few Bronco and a lot of Miniart kits and they all have huge parts counts, usually separate track links and even etch, which of course results in fantastic detail out of the box without the need for aftermarket bits

They look daunting enough through two eyes - I can't imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be with your ocular problems

I hope you persevere with it John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
you have my sympathy, looking forward to getting your model, then finding it's a real pig to assemble. The high plastic parts count seems to be a selling point for models, immaterial of whether it actually makes a model better, and the addition of tiny PE parts is yet another twist. Bogged down in a water filled ditch would be my suggestion..............
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John I no you were look looking forward to getting this model, you certainly had a few trials and tribulations with it I hope you stick with it the work you've done up to now is certainly ok, as you mentioned glue there is a little bit here and there that you can see :smiling3: .I hope you stay with it my friend.
Pete.
Yes I was Pete, spent a year waiting and still thing in the right hands it would look good. Thin plastic and my gluing is not a marriage made in heaven ! I shall continue, sliding in to the ditch. :smiling3:

I didn't mean to be flippant John. You've put a lot of effort into a not perfect kit. I know you can put it in its best light, so I'd hate to see you bin it. PaulE.
Paul I didn't think you had buddy, in fact walking away was the only way to get this far :thumb2:

The over use of small parts seems to be a common 'problem' - I guess the collective 'we' have spent years asking for better and better detailed kits and this is the result.

I have a few Bronco and a lot of Miniart kits and they all have huge parts counts, usually separate track links and even etch, which of course results in fantastic detail out of the box without the need for aftermarket bits

They look daunting enough through two eyes - I can't imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be with your ocular problems

I hope you persevere with it John
Thanks Simon , well the box art sold it , and as I love these large lumbering beasts I went for it.
Have to say the the Trumpeter version of the ChTZ61 was far better engineered, coupled with the LZ resin engine. That I really enjoyed. The use of one eye for model!ing does have it's drawbacks at times !
Just wait until I start those MiniArt models with internals, that should be fun :loudly-crying::smiling2::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

John,
you have my sympathy, looking forward to getting your model, then finding it's a real pig to assemble. The high plastic parts count seems to be a selling point for models, immaterial of whether it actually makes a model better, and the addition of tiny PE parts is yet another twist. Bogged down in a water filled ditch would be my suggestion..............
Dave

Hi Dave right on all counts , I was pleased that I was able to assemble those tracks, ------------ even if the actual fitting to the model looks as if they are about to fall off. :smiling2:
Already have a picture in my mind of the beast in that ditch with the group of villages standing looking at this sorry state of affairs.

Thanks for the comments. As you know I'll not be beaten by some plastic and wafer thin PE.
As Jim has said nothing that some Russian mud cant cover !
Off now to attempt a finish .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Fun indeed! Feeling a bit guilty about telling you about them now

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fun indeed! Feeling a bit guilty about telling you about them now
No no , don't be ,at those prices Simon it was too good to miss. You never know miracles may happen :smiling2:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right, tracks put in as best as can, the sharp eyed will note not complete on one bottom run. Have enough spare,but why stress when this side can be in the ditch .
Calling this done
IMG_20190818_124846290.jpg

IMG_20190818_124853490.jpg

IMG_20190818_124908671.jpg

IMG_20190818_124856084.jpg
IMG_20190818_124940379.jpg

IMG_20190818_124930585.jpg

IMG_20190818_124918321.jpg

IMG_20190818_124908671.jpg

Of to think about the base
John .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Given the difficulties you have had it has turned out remarkably well. paint and weathering will hide any imperfections.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

That's a very detailed and complicated kit, perhaps overly so by the sounds of it. I think those tracks would have been the death of me. 3 pieces and 5 holes? I'm struggling with just cutting and trimming single pieces :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Bloody Nora that is so full of itty-bitty detail you deserve a medal!!
Jim

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

I think those tiny parts would have defeated just about anyone John. Always difficult to define the fun and the chore with this lark, but well done for finishing it. As you say, a bit of judicious weathering and vegetation and Bob's your uncle.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Given the difficulties you have had it has turned out remarkably well. paint and weathering will hide any imperfections.
Thanks Paul, hopefully it will pass muster.
That's a very detailed and complicated kit, perhaps overly so by the sounds of it. I think those tracks would have been the death of me. 3 pieces and 5 holes? I'm struggling with just cutting and trimming single pieces :smiling5:
Hi Andy, well the track assembly even with the drilling 5 holes and with 2 different size drills was the easiest part to do. The rest however was not the most fun I've had building models.!

Hi John
Bloody Nora that is so full of itty-bitty detail you deserve a medal!!
Jim

Thanks Jim , I've even fitted some angle in the rad front the PE has gone into the spares box
15661485649625253426732385274424.jpg

I'd bought some time ago before the
15661486589224870671309745874869.jpg

One of these, swore it was a load of rubbish, but take that back.
15661486809666555548213398675163.jpg
Cuts set angles well so used this for the outer cuts
Earlier I started in the MiniArt Figures.

IMG_20190818_180532411.jpg
Have left the heads and caps/scarves on their sprues might make painting easier
IMG_20190818_180721054.jpg

IMG_20190818_180648235.jpg

IMG_20190818_180613411.jpg

More tomorrow, have to go and find some pictures frame for bases
Thanks for looking in.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think those tiny parts would have defeated just about anyone John. Always difficult to define the fun and the chore with this lark, but well done for finishing it. As you say, a bit of judicious weathering and vegetation and Bob's your uncle.
Missed your post while typing, sorry Peter.
Yes it nearly did end up in the bin or on the floor several times, words were said!
Amazing what thick mud and reeds can hide .:smiling5:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just found this and neat work John :thumb2: .
Too bad about the twisting and this going to a ditch will be interesting too.
Tracks look just like Miniart D7's btw, can be a pain to have a neat sag...