1/35 ChTZ 60 Stalinetz Tractor by Thunder Models.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found this and neat work John :thumb2: .
Too bad about the twisting and this going to a ditch will be interesting too.
Tracks look just like Miniart D7's btw, can be a pain to have a neat sag...
Hi Fernando, thank you for commenting, not sure about the neat though, have you been sniffing :smiling2:thinners again.
Too complex for me Fernando, nothing like a ditch to save the day. Tracks, oh fitting them was a pain, they need to stretch around the drive and idler wheels, then close up on the top and bottom. Easier said than done as you appear to know. :nerd::smiling2:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not one for letting a mere lump of plastic upset me, I set off this morning and picked up some cheapo picture frames. Now as it happens to size fits perfectly with the unit.

I leave the glass in ! and build up from that either with some 5 mm foam board or as this case cardboard
IMG_20190819_102245539.jpg

Applying some UHU to glue it in leaving a level base with the edge.
IMG_20190819_103056913.jpg

Then weighted down and left .

Had to go this afternoon to a mates funeral, a real nice guy who was a great work friend and plumber.
Always telling jokes
Had just had his first pension payment, died of cancer. Life can be cruel.

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_101905895.jpg
    IMG_20190819_101905895.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20190819_102635503.jpg
    IMG_20190819_102635503.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20190819_100713799_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20190819_100713799_BURST001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Had to go this afternoon to a mates funeral, a real nice guy who was a great work friend and plumber.
Always telling jokes
Had just had his first pension payment, died of cancer. Life can be cruel.
Sorry about your mate John.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry about your mate John.
Pete
Thanks Pete, good turn out, with many friends there, and a lovely short service and sunshine. Just what he wanted.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The base had dried enough to start building up the banks I say banks because a collapsed bridge came to mind earlier, what better, I can play at joinery building the bridge .
Then smash it up, no fire this time though a burnt bridge would be fun to do .
IMG_20190819_170356938.jpg
Sorry turn to suit !
IMG_20190819_170405789.jpg
15662333328127083689637549008586.jpg
Glued the foam with UHU POR
Going to put a layer of plastic in the river bed and lap it up the sides before I put down some dry linning compound and or wall filler.
Have a good selection of balsa thickness to make the main structures.
Oh happy days are here .:upside::upside::upside::upside::nerd::upside::upside::upside::upside::upside:
John .

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_103056913.jpg
    IMG_20190819_103056913.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Dude 2,

I'm glad to hear that Paul's Funeral went the way he wanted as far as the good weather and the turn out. My sympathies to the family and may he rest in peace.

Good to see you back in your element once again. Dirtying up the bench is what you do best Buddy and it looks like another great idea coming to life!!! Go Gadget Go!!!!!!!!!!

Prost
Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm really looking forward to this John.
Thanks Paul, that's two us then.

Hey Dude 2,

I'm glad to hear that Paul's Funeral went the way he wanted as far as the good weather and the turn out. My sympathies to the family and may he rest in peace.

Good to see you back in your element once again. Dirtying up the bench is what you do best Buddy and it looks like another great idea coming to life!!! Go Gadget Go!!!!!!!!!!

Prost
Dude 1
Thanks Dude 1, unfortunately going to funerals seems to be occurring more and more. I shall pass your message on.

Oh the bench, yesterday it was covered in small bits of foam, got every where, the floor looked like it had snowed. Easier to cut inside than outside in the garden, the fish aren't too keen of foam bits.:smiling:. Today saw the gluing of the waterproof base . Ive got fen up with sprining leaks in the base as before. So thought why not put a layer of pond liner that I have spare.
Once cut to size I spread on UHU POR on the foam side and normal UHU on the base over the white card.
Finally I sealed the edge with some multi purpose sealant adhesive.

IMG_20190820_154458078.jpg

IMG_20190820_154507234.jpg

IMG_20190820_154717824.jpg

IMG_20190820_170240862.jpg

Well as couple of hrs have passed and it's drying really slowly, of course if may not work, but trying is half the fun.
Next will be the first thing layer of filler.
Got the bridge to build, have enough balsa in stock. Then there's some reads to make, great excitement as in my element now.
Thanks for your comments and for looking in .
John

D

Deleted member 7181

Good idea for keeping it watertight, although I'm guessing your glue will take a long time to dry due to the non-absorbent surfaces.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well its been an emotional read JR. My Holt Tractor had a similar engine and frame and I too had the same problems. I am looking to do the Trumpter tractor next year so I may be coming to you for some pointers. As for glue I have recently discovered the joy of Tamiya extra thin in a green bottle. I use it more than usual glue now. Might be worth a look. Great to see the base well under construction. I will try and pay closer attention from now on

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This would have been posted last night If someone had pressed POST REPLY .DUH :confused:

Good idea for keeping it watertight, although I'm guessing your glue will take a long time to dry due to the non-absorbent surfaces.
Hi Andy, the glue didn't get chance to think about drying, I removed the liner. It might have worked with a different foam. Think the best way would have been to cut aline along the hight of the liner, and then folded it into the foam. Polystyrene would have been much better that the roof insulation stuff I had for this.
Decided just to put the filler on the base , mixed it with PVA primer for walls and floors and then applied with modeling pallet knife.Sitting drying.

Well its been an emotional read JR. My Holt Tractor had a similar engine and frame and I too had the same problems. I am looking to do the Trumpter tractor next year so I may be coming to you for some pointers. As for glue I have recently discovered the joy of Tamiya extra thin in a green bottle. I use it more than usual glue now. Might be worth a look. Great to see the base well under construction. I will try and pay closer attention from now on
Hi Steve, I did actually think about your Holt and when you had the problems as I was battling those small parts.
The Trumpter tractor I'm sure is on PMMS site, so that might be helpful .No engine though is there ?

As for the glue Steve, I already use the Tamiya extra thin, my problem is I never know when I have enough glue on, then add more and flood it.:nerd:

D

Deleted member 7181

John, I've been looking at Mr cement SP black for that very reason. Apparently with being black in colour you can see when it's fully flowed into the joint so don't add extra "just in case"
Might be worth a look.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well that certainly is a "Mr Obvious" solution. Wonder why it took half a century of modeling to come up with it. PaulE

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7237

John, I've been looking at Mr cement SP black for that very reason. Apparently with being black in colour you can see when it's fully flowed into the joint so don't add extra "just in case"
Might be worth a look.
Hi Andy does it have a strong odour to it ? Just thinking of my lungs. I can see that coming in quite handy.

Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Might be worth a look.
Can you imagine the mess I would produce:smiling3: but I can see the idea,,,,,, may as you say have a look .

Well that certainly is a "Mr Obvious" solution. Wonder why it took half a century of modeling to come up with it. PaulE
Probably wasn't a call for it Paul, until I arrived. :smiling::smiling: like a lot simple ideas it was just waiting for someone to think abut it.

Hi Andy does it have a strong odour to it ? Just thinking of my lungs. I can see that coming in quite handy.

Pete
Like you the thought of a strong odor would maybe put me off. The roofing resin I just used was bad enough.

I've just emailed Emodels to ask as they have it in stock. Will let you know.

John.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What with looking at Urban Explores on Utube and a recovery of a StuG I managed to get some more done to the base.
Using a thin covering of the PAL
Bond SBR ( just a thin PVA for sealing walls and floors )

IMG_20190821_170454906.jpg
Then adding a mix of very fine soil ( micro waved so nothing living emerges ) with sharp sand and putting through the snow sieve over the base .
IMG_20190821_170334535.jpg

At this stage the base was tilted and the surplus sand / soil was returned to the tub for another application tomorrow.
Whilst gardening this morning I cut some Rosemary, only part of the old wood is any good just straight enough to use for the uprights .
IMG_20190821_141455704.jpg
The bark and colour is really good for this use.
More tomorrow.
Thanks for looking in and the comments .
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. Sound idea for preventing 'water' leaks - hope it works ok. Rosemary wood looks useful. Is it fully dry? will it need a coat of matt varnish to sort of preserve the bark and the colour?
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr Race,
Blimey, it’s all going on here....Hope you don’t get any leaks now!

Looking at your chopping of the rosemary made me think the same as Jim and reminded me that I have a dried out shrub hidden away in the shed for possible dio material.

Yet to try any water products but I’ve been looking into it after watching a few YouTube videos:nerd:

D

Deleted member 6559

Had time to read this thread more thoroughly John, and I must say how sorry I am for the sad loss of your friend. I apologise for not responding sooner.

D

Deleted member 7181

Pete
Sorry but I couldn't tell you Pete as I don't actually have any.

I have their Mr Cement Deluxe which is a slower drying version for when I need to fiddle with the position of something. That doesn't smell too bad to me, certainly no worse than Tamiya extra thin.