1/35 DAK figures & some 1/72 munchkins......

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as you know I'm dong a North African Vignette/diorama for the SimonT GB (link HERE) and I've finished the tank. Now onto the figures......

I've only ever painted 1/72 before and pretty badly at that and so I thought I'd do them as a separate thread, after Rick sort of suggested it. Hope that's ok.

I plan to use the specially patented 'Marlow Method' as described HERE, albeit I've already had one idea on a slight deviation and another deviation enforced one due to my incompetence.......anyone would think I had some kind of idea at what I was doing....... :disappointed2: ;)

As for the 1/72 munchkins to go with them, more about later.

Run out of time tonight to post pics, so watch out for the morning update.

ATB.

Andrew

• Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as promised some pictures.

Once I'd filled the atrocious ejector pin marks they got a coat of Vallejo primer - mostly the light grey with a few drops of back to darken it up a bit. Then, during the week, as per Tim's instructions a liberal coat of 50/50 Vallejo Glaze medium 73.596 and Game Colour Black Wash 73.201, although I think I might have been a bit heavy handed in places.

The various items of kit also got the same treatment, as did the 1/72 munchkins aka two Revell Pak 40 crews.

As time Tim said in his thread, it does really bring the figure to life and also makes it easier to "read" the figures. Quite remarkable. :smiling: :surprised:

I have just just started doing the base flesh coats but will hold of sharing pics until I've made some more progress.

ACW as usual.

ATB.

Andrew

--------------------------------------

From this........

51120145752_3523dea1a0_b.jpg

51122723496_961c40a2b3_b.jpg

.......onto this......

51167973053_7e1f18bbf9_b.jpg

51168838985_bf62b526b2_b.jpg

....to this.....

51180068928_52cfcb108d_b.jpg

51180640469_31c3bf3e42_b.jpg

51180640494_a0c550f808_b.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great start on these Andrew. The 1/35s have come up well, good to see tropical hats as well..
Nice detail on those Revell gun crews. Are they hard plastic?
I’ll be following with interest.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
God those Tamiya DAK bring back memories- my first ever 1-35 tank, the PZII wow!
I shall be watching with interest- I somehow missed the black glaze part of Tim's method - works well!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great start on these Andrew. The 1/35s have come up well, good to see tropical hats as well..
Nice detail on those Revell gun crews. Are they hard plastic?
I’ll be following with interest.
Hi Tim

Thanks, I really was very surprised how well the black glaze worked and it makes such a difference. I am going to make use of at least one tropical hat to break it up a bit.

As for the Revell figures....there n lies a lesson....

They're actually a rebox of an Italeri kit (LINK) but muggins here didn't realise that at the time and didn't check the review of the Revell version (LINK). If muggins had checked the reviews he would have realised the Revell offering was made of soft plastic, think Airfix figure soft.......if I put my mind to it I could actually bend the barrel around in a circle..... :surprised: :surprised:

As for detail....It the most mixed bag I've come across in a single kit......some really nice detail for this scale, plus some REALLY bad moulding......as you'll see below.

ATB.

Andrew

--------------------------------

The best - three other pairs are close to this level

51180570308_a3db3928c8_b.jpg

The worst.......

Mr stumpy hand.....

51181422940_947f2355c6_b.jpg

Looks okay at first glance but that is the worlds most misshapen shelll...

51180327356_8ca927ea9a_b.jpg

51181122164_dc0fe869c6_b.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
God those Tamiya DAK bring back memories- my first ever 1-35 tank, the PZII wow!
I shall be watching with interest- I somehow missed the black glaze part of Tim's method - works well!
Neil

It takes me back a bit too. The kit is almost as old as me.......:sad::sad:

The black glaze does work a treat doesn't it. As for the figures I'll try not to let you down.

Thanks for stopping by.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andrew, I see what you mean about moulding. To be honest, I thought two of the shell carriers had really badly sculpted rifles....Dont worry too much about the soft plastic. Apparently acrylic stays flexible enough to not flake off. I remember Humbrols flaking off if you sneezed in the next street....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew, I see what you mean about moulding. To be honest, I thought two of the shell carriers had really badly sculpted rifles....Dont worry too much about the soft plastic. Apparently acrylic stays flexible enough to not flake off. I remember Humbrols flaking off if you sneezed in the next street....
I remember that exact problem when I came back to to hobby. Knowing no better I didn't trust these new-fangled acrylics and so bought enamels..... My British infantry have been flaking ever since......

Also meant to say thanks for the tip on the Rosemary Series 93 brushes. They really have worked a treat.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So Friday evening and yesterday I managed to get the flesh done on all of the figures.

As you may recall, the 'Marlow Method' calls for a Vallejo Flat flesh 70.955 base coat, a mix of Flat flesh and Light Flesh 70.928 for general highlights and then Light Flesh on its own for final highlights, followed by the Vallejo Flesh Wash 73.204.

Well I goofed, and bought Basic Skin Tone 70.815 instead of light flesh. Looking at colour comparisons, mine is a bit darker but not that far off so I got on with it.

I also decided to try using Vallejo Brown Sand 70.876 too.

I'd seen this recommended elsewhere as a good base skin tone and figured it might work to represent a soldier with a bit of a sun tan - they are in North Africa after all. I also ended up doing a partial suntan on one figure as a test.

This 'sun tan' mixes went like this.:

"Full" sun tan:
  • Base Coat: Vallejo Brown Sand 70.876
  • General highlight: Mix of Brown Sand 70.876 & Flat flesh 70.955
  • Final highlight: Flat flesh 70.955
"Partial" sun tan:
  • Base Coat: Mix of Brown Sand 70.876 & Flat flesh 70.955
  • General highlight: Flat flesh 70.955
  • Final highlight: Flat flesh 70.955 and Basic Skin Tone 70.81

For the Pak 40 crew I used Tim's original method.

On the whole I think they worked well well, although the wash on the commander looks a bit heavy. That said I've got to remember it won't be looked at under an optivisor or the scrutiny of a Digital SLR and also remember this is my first attempt at this scale. - the Sistine Chapel wasn't painted in a day.

In his case I'll wait until I have the uniform painted to see if he blends in a bit.......either that or I'll just pretend he has VERY bad skin condition.!! :smiling5:

I don't have a proper wet palette, so I used a plastic container, kitchen sponge and some grease proof paper, as I've seen demo'd elsewhere. It might not work as well as the proper stuff Tim uses, but I did a test a couple of weeks ago and the paint was still workable after a week. If I take to this figure painting malarkey, I'll get some of the proper stuff.

Anyway enough jabber and onto the pictures below.....

ACW

Andrew

PS I love the Rosemary Series 93 brushes Tim recommended.

---------------------------------------------------

My weapons of war......

51180069028_1dd618ba96_b.jpg

The three across the middle is what you need to look at. This was taken outside in proper light with my digital SLR so the colour is almost perfect match to real life....

51181997696_eff5cc31ce_b.jpg

51182803024_b397e7527b_b.jpg[

Tim's colour palette

51181310477_f0f5a272c3_b.jpg

'Full' tan on right, 'partial' on left.

51183081575_5fa7bb4d40_b.jpg

Full tan....

51181310517_bef5279c47_b.jpg

Pak 40 crew (missing three who were AWOL for the photo shoot!)

51182214093_2b46b957d6_b.jpg

51181310542_a20014d0ed_b.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Coming on very well. Very interesting to see the colours used and to see how you're working.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me. They have come to life really nicely. Nothing wrong with mixing up the paint palette , by the way, I do it a lot as well.....if you are doing several figures it’s good to get in some variety. Stops them looking like clones, and the wash ties them all together so none of them stand out.
Your home made wet palette is fine as well. I used one like this for a couple of years, and still do for metallics. Only thing I’d say is that if you clip down the size of the baking parchment so it fits flat on the sponge you’ll find it easier to use. The ridges can then be smoothed out and the whole surface will be evenly hydrated.....

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming along really well Andrew :thumb2:

Thanks Si. Very much appreciated. Hope all is well with you?

Hi Andrew
Coming on very well. Very interesting to see the colours used and to see how you're working.
Jim

Thanks Jim for stopping by. Glad you like it and it has been an interesting exercise for me, which so far I've been enjoying.

Looks good to me. They have come to life really nicely. Nothing wrong with mixing up the paint palette , by the way, I do it a lot as well.....if you are doing several figures it’s good to get in some variety. Stops them looking like clones, and the wash ties them all together so none of them stand out.
Your home made wet palette is fine as well. I used one like this for a couple of years, and still do for metallics. Only thing I’d say is that if you clip down the size of the baking parchment so it fits flat on the sponge you’ll find it easier to use. The ridges can then be smoothed out and the whole surface will be evenly hydrated.....

Hi Tim, thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you like it.

Out of interest, how damp should the sponge be?

I've gone for very damp, so that whilst there isn't any standing water in the box, as soon as you press the sponge the water comes out and stands around the edges. Is that about right?

great start Andrew

Neil

Thanks very much I'm glad you like them.

Thanks again all for your support it is very much appreciated.

All the best.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds like you have the water in the sponge about right to me. You will find it dries out as you work, so I occasionally top mine up. As to liking it, you’ve nailed this mate, your figures are every bit as good as mine....you’ll soon leave me far behind.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sounds like you have the water in the sponge about right to me. You will find it dries out as you work, so I occasionally top mine up. As to liking it, you’ve nailed this mate, your figures are every bit as good as mine....you’ll soon leave me far behind.

Thanks Tim. Good to hear I'm on the right lines. Meant to say I've cut some more grease proof paper to better fit the box. That combined with adding more water second time around seems to have made quite a difference to the dampness of the paper overnight.

And as for "....you’ve nailed this mate, your figures are every bit as good as mine....you’ll soon leave me far behind.", have you not be taken your meds today?? In all seriousness though I have enjoyed the process so far.

Thanks again for your advice and support.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So three further sets of 1/72 munchkins have joined this process and two have even maned to plod their way across the finish line.

So the first ones up.......

I'm not including these because I'm particularly proud of them - in fact they're average at best and that's probably stretching it somewhat.

Instead they're representative of a major breakthrough when it comes to comes painting figures.........in short it doesn't scare the ^&%%!^$%"$$%$ out of me! :smiling: :smiling: and all thanks to Tim's SBS a while ago on figure painting.

I'm not saying I have it sussed or even feel pretty confident when approaching figures but at the same time it doesn't terrify me either.

I stumbled across these 3/4 finished figures recently, having started them at least six years ago and just after I came back to the hobby. They're not the best figures to start with, were badly assembled, had seam lines on and were badly painted. I've tidied the painting up, slopped on some flesh wash and stuck them on a base finished off with my own homemade flock. They're from Italeri's 25pdr set, which was the only one available in 1/72 at the time and so they're dressed for North Africa. As we battle in NWE, I've had to pretend it's a hot day, so their dress is not right (sorry about the blurry pics).

51241408262_829b4946c0_b.jpg

51241408252_8f8047305b_b.jpg

Next up, the crews from my three 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company Sextons, albeit you only get four crew instead of the full compliment of six.

In this case I had intended to follow Tim's SBS but did it from memory with the predictable results in that I missed out the step of 'framing' the figure in dark grey and also not applying a shaded base coat of the primary colour. To try and get around the modelling faux pas, I applied a wash to sink into the recesses.

In terms of the main uniform colour I experimented with a range of acrylic colours to see what I liked and to break the uniformity up a bit, as follows:
  • Vallejo's English Uniform 70.921.
  • Revell's Dark Earth 82 - a touch less yellow than Vallejo's paint but still very close.
  • Humbrol's Khaki 26 - quite a bit browner that the other two.
  • A mix of Vallejo English Uniform and Humbrol's Dark Earth 29 - which came out somewhere between Revell 82 and Humbrol 26. I quite like the results of this experiment.

I also adopted a similar approach with the washes, to hopefully complement the base colour. I used two Vallejo Game Colour washes diluted with their Glaze Medium 1:1, as follows:
  • Sepia (73.200) for those painted with Vallejo 921 and Revell 82.
  • A mix 1:1 of Sepia and Umber (73.203) on those with the Vallejo/Humbrol mixed uniform.
  • Umber only for those painted with the Humbrol 26.

Perfect they are not but I am genuinely pleased with them and they have given me a real confidence boost.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

The colours of choice. This was taken outside in good light and so is pretty close to reality, if a touch on the light side.

51243173830_0b6c9c9a86_b.jpg

Vallejo's English Uniform 70.921.

51238791452_b503b75b54_b.jpg

Revell's Dark Earth 82.

51239702378_b08112be7c_b.jpg

The Vallejo/Humbrol mix (left hand two) and Humbrol's Dark Earth 29 (right hand one)

51240269734_0c17eff16a_b.jpg

A complete mish-mash of all four colours to represent different uniform batches or when one of the troops has had to replace one part before the other.

51240269779_c9e50b6b18_b.jpg

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew the Marlow Method is working well, in fact most impressive. The fact that these are in 1/72 is quite remarkable.
I'm afraid I use the Vallejo games wash on my faces and little else, but having seen what you have achieved I shall have a rethink. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: