1/35 DAK figures & some 1/72 munchkins......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andrew, I've been burning through the pages of this thread and have come to the conclusion that the "Marlow Method" is working very well for you.......have much envy. I also missed the step of black wash after primer and have since made note of it to use in the future attempts I make at figure painting. Perhaps I'll have a better outcome next time. Carry on Sir, you've done very well! :thumb2: Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well you lot are making me blush aren’t you. The aim of the SBS was to take away the fear that people seem to have when painting figures and I’m glad it worked for you guys ;) There are sorts of tricks and refinements you can add to the base technique so just experiment and have fun…..and if something doesn’t work you can alway try again…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andrew. You asked about magnets, and I think this is the better thread for the info….
I use these on the golf tees..
Many other sizes and shapes are available. Just remember to check the coins are magnetic if you want them to stick…..pre about 1990 are not…..
I used araldite five minute epoxy to stick them on the polythene…..seems to have held well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew the Marlow Method is working well, in fact most impressive. The fact that these are in 1/72 is quite remarkable.
I'm afraid I use the Vallejo games wash on my faces and little else, but having seen what you have achieved I shall have a rethink. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Thanks John. Much appreciated. I really am very pleased with how they turned out and thoroughly recommend it as a process for anyone with concerns about figures.

I've just ordered a few more paints having gone through Tim's post again and so will be taking the plunge on the other figures shortly.

The DAK and a couple British 3" mortar crews I pulled out of the stash do have me worried though. Quite a few of the figures have poses that will make it near impossible to get the brush in with any degree of certainty.....but at least I now have the confidence to have a go.

Hi Andrew, I've been burning through the pages of this thread and have come to the conclusion that the "Marlow Method" is working very well for you.......have much envy. I also missed the step of black wash after primer and have since made note of it to use in the future attempts I make at figure painting. Perhaps I'll have a better outcome next time. Carry on Sir, you've done very well! :thumb2: Rick H.
Nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due.....Wear it proud Tim, me "Bucko"! :thumb2: Rick H.

Rick

Thanks for the support and feedback. But as you say all credit belongs to Tim for taking the time to post his methods in detail. He's actually kindly given me permission to copy out the relevant posts into a single document, so I have it all in one place - pictures and all.

The black glaze really does work a treat. Even though I forgot to do the framing and shaded base coat, it still came through a bit and helped to provide some depth in places, which I topped up with the wash.

Well you lot are making me blush aren’t you. The aim of the SBS was to take away the fear that people seem to have when painting figures and I’m glad it worked for you guys ;) There are sorts of tricks and refinements you can add to the base technique so just experiment and have fun…..and if something doesn’t work you can alway try again…..
Hi Andrew. You asked about magnets, and I think this is the better thread for the info….
I use these on the golf tees..
Many other sizes and shapes are available. Just remember to check the coins are magnetic if you want them to stick…..pre about 1990 are not…..
I used araldite five minute epoxy to stick them on the polythene…..seems to have held well.

Tim

No apologies for making you blush!!! :smiling5:

As Rick said, credit where credit is due. As you know, your posts have given me the confidence to have a go at figures and experiment in the process. I am forever grateful.

Thanks for the link on the magnets too, will have to invest in some soon.

Hi Andrew,
looks like your getting the figure painting side of things sorted :thumb2:

Its nice to see so much helpful friendly advice freely given :smiling4:

Thanks Si, much appreciated. Hope all is well you you?

And indeed, very nice indeed to get such great advice. Probably the thing I love most about this hobby of ours.

Thanks again to all of you for stopping by.

All the best.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The DAK and a couple British 3" mortar crews I pulled out of the stash do have me worried though. Quite a few of the figures have poses that will make it near impossible to get the brush in with any degree of certainty.....but at least I now have the confidence to have a go.

[/QUOTE]

Don’t stress too much over them Andrew. Most parts that are covered and difficult to access are in shadow, so just go with a shade colour and break out your inner Monet for a bit of impressionist interpretation of the details. Remember as well that you can paint these difficult bits first then move to the more accessible parts (inside to outside, remember). Nobody says you need to paint the whole figure in one go, and the colours will still be on your wet palette for use on the outer bits.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding and very informative. Keep it coming my friend
Hi Andrew
You're most certainly doing a good job with these. Working Tim's ideas into your own approach is paying dividends.
Jim

Steve, Jim

Coming from two modellers of your expertise, I'll take these as a real compliments.

Thank you very much indeed.

".....break out your inner Monet for a bit of impressionist interpretation of the details."
[/QUOTE]

That's something I never heard any of my art teachers say......but then of course I was just probably well ahead of my time and not properly understood!! Such is the life of a great artist. :sad::loudly-crying: Give it a hundred years and my pieces will be going for millions!! Now where is my knife so I can cut my ear off......?????? ;) :smiling5:

But in all all seriousness, thanks yet again for the tips!!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've managed to get some more work on both the 1/35 DAK figures and some 1/72 figures and a rabbit.......but more about that later as I've run out of time!

ACW as usual for what follows:

Andrew

---------------

2x 1//72 Revell Pak 40 crews
  • Based on pennies with milliput/green stuff putty and sand toppings then painted with black primer as a base coat - also did the boots' black base coat at the same time.
  • Figures 'framed' as per the 'Marlow Method'

51260308809_1ff93dcbcf_b.jpg

51264980579_73ea9c7105_b.jpg

51263508902_30cfe0b2ac_b.jpg

51265998878_e963f53c65_b.jpg

2x 1/72 Zvezda British 3" mortar crews
  • 'Framed' as per the 'Marlow Method'. Hard to see given their stances (sorry for blurry pics - hard to get them all in properly).
51264430853_b5fe526b5a_b.jpg

51265279620_53ce9a980a_b.jpg

1/72nd UK and Commonwealth HQ/Battery HQ set (metal figures)
  • Started before the discovery of the 'Marlow Method'. Unfortunately a little heavy with the spray varnish but looks much better in real life than the shots.....just a little bit pale and nothing else. Might source another set to have another crack at in the future.
51259571456_5ae557092c_b.jpg

51259571391_5d1701f8e9_b.jpg

51260314914_623eddbda1_b.jpg

51259571401_a9ba4ab970_b.jpg

6x 1/35 DAK figures - just framed

51264430858_3d9847777b_b.jpg

51264430963_f6edacce9b_b.jpg

51264240311_95124d44c7_b.jpg

51264980814_7029cbc46f_b.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Very nice indeed. The 1/72 figures are especially impressive.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks the Bomb Andrew......once you get the results you were looking for it's hard to quit.....buy another set and crack on sir. :thumb2: Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loads going on there Andrew. Love the flesh tones on the 1/35ths especially. Still making me blush though…..:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
Just out of interest, I’ve used papier mache powder from hobby craft as a base material for ages. I mix it from the base powder mixed with fifty fifty PVA and water and tint it earth colour with powder paint. If you want more texture you can add sand in as well. The basing and painting is then all done in one hit. A quick light earth dry brush and you are sorted apart from grass effects.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Very nice indeed. The 1/72 figures are especially impressive.
Jim
Got to try my hand at some figures soon, I'll probably complete a whole army before they look as good as yours though.
Looks the Bomb Andrew......once you get the results you were looking for it's hard to quit.....buy another set and crack on sir. :thumb2: Rick H.

Gentleman

Thanks for the collective support for my endeavours, it really is appreciated - and Mark you should give it a go. Tim's method really is easy to follow and a game changer for me, as I've said more than once!

Rick - you may be right about having another crack, at least another set shouldn't raise too many eyebrows at home!!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Loads going on there Andrew. Love the flesh tones on the 1/35ths especially. Still making me blush though…..:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
Just out of interest, I’ve used papier mache powder from hobby craft as a base material for ages. I mix it from the base powder mixed with fifty fifty PVA and water and tint it earth colour with powder paint. If you want more texture you can add sand in as well. The basing and painting is then all done in one hit. A quick light earth dry brush and you are sorted apart from grass effects.

Thanks Tim, the DAK figures have turned out pretty well so far. I'll just have to remember to position the equipment in the right place to hide the injector pin mark I didn't quite fill properly on one of them.

Thanks for the tip on the papier mache powder, if I start to crank out a lot more figures that will be much quicker than my current method.

ATB.

Andrew

PS....and no apologies for making you blush! credit where credit is due!!;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've realised that I never shared the rabbit......

Short version is that when made one of wargaming roads, Junior wanted a rabbit hole......he was a bit younger at the time than he is now.....and so I wondered if are there such a thing as 1/72 rabbits?

In short yes there are!

So as requested by Junior this has been done as a 'homage' to my mum's now deceased house rabbit Barney. It's been nearly finished for about two years......and I finally got it done by adding a tone of flesh wash to his ears and in particular the eyes (he was an albino so it's appropriate).

The eye flesh wash was slightly overdone and so close up he looks a tad vicious......in fact when I stood back and looked at him I was immediately cast back to that satire on the Crusades by a certain comedy group and that immortal phrase......

......"That rabbits dynamite!!!!"....shortly followed by "Bring forth the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!!""

Hope you enjoy the hopefully light relief.

ATB.

Andrew

PS I have still nine in the stash, so I've thought about adding one to each of my terrain pieces in the form of a little signature/"Where's Wally"

-------------------------

The finished bunny - as you can see I still need to work on my rabbit painting technique!

51259764848_0dab898dc3_b.jpg

And overseeing his domain - I just need to add a bit of flock to hide the worst of the brown mound he's sitting on.

51265062082_5fd1fc8b23_b.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

Firstly, apologies for not being able to comment as much as I'd like on other peoples posts recently but both work and home life are pretty busy at the moment.

So I have been plodding on with my various figures and the below have now all got the point where they have received their shaded base coat of the primary colour using Tim's method.

They're far from perfect but nonetheless I do genuinely feel like I'm making progress with this figure painting malarky!

ACW as usual.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

So first up are the crews for my two early war British 3" mortars.

These were painted using a mix of Vallejo's 70.921 English Uniform, Revell's very close but slightly darker equivalent; 82 Dark Earth (NOT a dark earth in my opinion) and a mix of English uniform and Humbrol's H29 Dark Earth, to give a slightly browner variation. Five figures were painted top and bottom in the same colour, with the remaining three getting a mix two to break things up even more.

51286603416_75b0f2c2f8_b.jpg

51287620625_673154d428_b.jpg

And how I keep track of who's had what colour......

51288594946_3e181fac91_b.jpg

Next up my two Pak 40 crews.

Again with 12 figures, there has been lots of opportunity to experiment with different colours. As Tim did, I've used Vallejo's 830 German Field Grey, 924 Russian Uniform and 992 Neutral Grey to represent variations on field grey.

I'm also going to experiment with having a go at some German late war camo smocks and trousers, as most of the figures are clearly either wearing smocks or what I'm assuming are meant to be winter parkas.

As my German's are nominally from the 9th SS Pz Division, I'm going to have a go at representing the Spring and Autumn Oak Leaf pattern. I have no idea if it's authentic for AT gun crews but this is all about experimenting for me, so you will have to forgive me. To do this I'm using Revell's 82 Dark Earth for the Spring base coat and Humbol's H29 for the Autumn base coat.

51287830502_cd6d22f0ed_b.jpg

51289593330_e0f361df23_b.jpg

51289593335_831c9eea1f_b.jpg

51288581651_9d8a436ca7_b.jpg

51288750908_7a0f5a99fa_b.jpg

51288750913_234f83182f_b.jpg

Keeping track of who has had what base coat.....

51289299189_d70c13bacc_b.jpg

Finally the six DAK 1/35 figures.

Again six figures, so lots to experiment with. I've done a mixture of the green colonial uniform using Vallejo's 881 Green Yellow and for the later tropical uniform their 921 English Uniform, 873 Field Drab, 819 Iraqi Sand and 847 Dark Sand (not in the least bit dark BTW, in fact the exact opposite!). I even used 983 Flat Earth on one of the caps.....

These figures are not the best and the moulding of Y webbing straps on the fronts of the figures in particular is very indistinct if not non-existent but on the whole I'm please with them, although in one case I thing the shading on one of the figures wearing a green top is too dark but I'll have to live with it.

If you carefully on on mounting block, you can see where I have written on the colours I have use for that figure.

51286774403_f43b15b3f5_b.jpg

51287620665_2df8d771d2_b.jpg

51287620675_8d34218c45_b.jpg

51285856392_9370b86062_b.jpg

51287324099_23b330f18b_b.jpg

51286774463_a72d7c2725_b.jpg