1/35 DAK figures & some 1/72 munchkins......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Those all turned out really nice Andrew. The variations in base coat colors really do add a lot of interest....I'd say you have been very successful at this fig. painting "malarky". ;) Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
More nice work Andrew. I find it useful to keep a note book of colour combinations for historical game toys. It can come in handy if you need to paint more gaming figures to expand the army in the future because you can make them look very much the same. By the way, you’ll find German uniform 920 another colour that’s useful for later war German figures.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Those all turned out really nice Andrew. The variations in base coat colors really do add a lot of interest....I'd say you have been very successful at this fig. painting "malarky". ;) Rick H.
Rick

Thank you very much indeed. Whilst I fully recognise that I'm still a novice at serious figure painting and have a long way to go, I really do feel like I have got the proverbial 'monkey' off my back when it comes to it.

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
More nice work Andrew. I find it useful to keep a note book of colour combinations for historical game toys. It can come in handy if you need to paint more gaming figures to expand the army in the future because you can make them look very much the same. By the way, you’ll find German uniform 920 another colour that’s useful for later war German figures.
Thanks Tim.

I've actually got a spreadsheet put together for that purpose - sad but true..... It's part of my master list of all the paints I have.

Initially I did it so I could collect a list of all the supposedly 'correct' colours for my DAK and late war British infantry from various articles/sources.

Obviously that list was ridiculously long and I was never going to use (or buy) every colour on that list. But what it did do what's give me a chance to see if I had them already (or at least a very close match), see what I really needed and then see what I like the look of once it was on the kit.

Now that I've painted some figures I'll update the list to reflect my 'preferred' colours.

As for the Vallejo 920 I did pick some of that up on a whim. Will have to give it a try at some point.

I did see a couple of articles that suggested 920 as a good colour for early war uniforms, but given all the research I've done it seems that almost anything went, especially towards the end of the wall as as the situation deteriorated in Germany.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It certainly does Andrew…this image bears posting again at this point!

View attachment 428263
All originals I believe!
Will make sure I have this in the back pocket should someone ever comment on my choice of colours.....

I had read that some were almost the same colour as British uniforms, so good to have the example on the bottom row to prove the point.

Thanks as always.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sooooooo.....

I'm calling the British Mortar crew done. I had a bit of hiccup with the paint on a couple but managed to rescue it.

These are now on the base that they come with as you will see. I've add some of my home made flock. At some point I'll get some static grass and have a dabble with that.

It's funny but I thought these were better quality than the Revell Pak 40 crews but actually I was wrong. I now fully understand what Tim meant when he said in his figure painting SBS about 'reading' a figure. I actually found these harder to read than the Revell crews, in part because the moulding in their backs is bit soft.

That said I shouldn't be too harsh as these are for wargaming and only cost £3 each.! :smiling: They're designed by Zvezda for their Art of Tactic wargame.

So they're not going to set the modelling world alight but nonetheless represent another milestone in by figure painting journey.

ACW as usual.

ATB.

Andrew

PS apologies for the finger in one of the shots. It was also hard to get a decent shot of their faces given that they're all bent over.

51367837923_04f6334a97_b.jpg

51368627065_18d32ae758_b.jpg

51367838328_e35b4ffb4f_b.jpg

51368627125_dba78cde17_b.jpg

51368628290_464e89365a_b.jpg

And the obligatory scale shot......

51368627905_5a67a790e2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job on those. Bit of heavy metal support for the Brits……
Regarding static grass, id go with pre-made tufts to start with. warpainter do a good selection, including mixed sets.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice job on those. Bit of heavy metal support for the Brits……
Regarding static grass, id go with pre-made tufts to start with. warpainter do a good selection, including mixed sets.
Thanks Tim for the support. Good shout on the pre-made tufts I've got some in the cupboard and will make use of that, although it's getting a bit on the low side.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice, more so considering their size Andrew.
Committee have just arrived and given the nod.

2020DB.jpg

Congratulations.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lovely job on something so small:nerd::thumb2:
Mark

Thanks very much. As you may have read I've only just started to have a go at doing figures properly and whilst I still have a long way to go, I do feel like I've got that particular monkey off my back.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice, more so considering their size Andrew.
Committee have just arrived and given the nod.

View attachment 431421

Congratulations.
Oh my......:surprised::surprised:

My first testicular award....... :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

I'd like to thank my fans, my agent, my colleagues, my family but most of all my parents for the sacrifices they made that allowed me to follow my dreams......:loudly-crying:

Ok so now I've got that my out of system, in all seriousness John, thank you very much indeed, it is appreciated. Although if I'm honest they're not quite as good in real life as in the pics But thank you very much nonetheless, it is appreciated.

I've just finished my Pak 40 crew and they're much better than these. I think I've even managed to pull of a passable rendition of the SS Oak Leaf pattern camo - both spring and autumn. Pics will follow shortly!

Thank you again.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Great work mate and I totally agree with Tim about using tufts instead of static grass

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Well I'd say those are excellent. :thumb2:
Jim
Great work mate and I totally agree with Tim about using tufts instead of static grass

Gents, thank you very much indeed. You're support is very much appreciated.

Mick - funny you should say that. Somehow I found myself on eBay only the other night!! ;)

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm calling my two Pak 40 crews done and even if I say so myself I'm really quite pleased with them.

The crews are (or at least appear to be) dressed in a range of great coats, combat smocks and trouser and winter parkas (at least that's what I think based on very limited knowledge of German uniforms). As my German forces are nominally the 9 SS Pz Division, I thought I'd have a go at the Oak Leaf Pattern - both autumn and winter versions, just to break it up a bit. - plus field grey for the great coats. My colour schemes were as below.

They have a mixture of helmets and spring/autumn camo patterns

Field grey (various takes)
German Field Grey Vallejo v70.830
Russian Uniform Vallejo v70.924
German grey - Vallejo v70.995

Spring Oak Leaf
Base - Revell Dark Earth R82
Dark Green - German Camo Extra Dark Green v70.896
Bright Green - 1:1 of Green Yellow 70.881 and Olive Green 70.967

Autumn Oak Leaf
Base - Humbrol Dark Earth H29
Dark Brown - German Camo Black Brown v70.822
Brown highlight - Vallejo Light Rust v71.129

I'll do a proper shot of them on a completed thread as I'm that pleased with them.

I would just say the macro lens on my camera kept going into Macro mode, so they're a bit too close up and look better in real life....at least I think so!! ;)

ACW as usual.

Andrew

-------------------------------

My source material on the uniform colours (for better or worse).

51287323969_57a0d091f6_b.jpg

51383163140_179a26d611_b.jpg

A selection of the figures....

51377076297_63b0a5ac4e_b.jpg

51377840811_d5478fcd80_b.jpg

51378076418_89145dd6b7_b.jpg

51377840896_f702ff4bee_b.jpg

51378578854_216b829ba3_b.jpg

51378578944_8fdcf4b80e_b.jpg

51377076492_bd39379084_b.jpg

51377841131_27445dc9ea_b.jpg

All together....

51378076718_da4667d0a4_b.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice stuff….love the pair that are synchronised dancing as well.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice stuff….love the pair that are synchronised dancing as well.
Thanks Tim! Although which pair, I reckon there are two possible three that could be accused of that!! ;) :smiling5::smiling5: