1/35 Dragon 10.5cm K.Pz.Sfla.IVa Dicker Max with Voyager photo etch

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good afternoon folks,
As stated in the animal group build 2019 for me is the year of photo etch, so I have a number of subjects I am looking to build before the start of the GB to enhance my limited skills. So this is the first candidate.

Here is a look at the Voyager photo etch.

This is approximately a third of the photo etch I will be using on the Hummel, I had bought the etch fender set but won't be using it as the Dragon fenders are superbly moulded and the etch would not enhance the kit in anyway. I don't really want to do sprue shots as there are enough on the web already.

First update coming sometime tomorrow
regards Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Jim,
Looks like an interesting subject. I’ve only ever seen it built once but that was the Trumpeter version.
Good luck with the PE.
Best way to learn is to jump in like you are:thumb2:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Si,
The hardest part so far is working from 2 sets of instructions:tired:
regards Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I hear you there....makes yer brain hurt sometimes :dizzy:!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good luck Jim, sure you'll do well with it .
The thought is enough for me, I always end up with the bits I could hardly see to begin with , yet alone attempt to bend in my ever growing PE box .!
John ?

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good afternoon folks,
As stated in the animal group build 2019 for me is the year of photo etch, so I have a number of subjects I am looking to build before the start of the GB to enhance my limited skills. So this is the first candidate.
View attachment 330044

Here is a look at the Voyager photo etch.

View attachment 330045

This is approximately a third of the photo etch I will be using on the Hummel, I had bought the etch fender set but won't be using it as the Dragon fenders are superbly moulded and the etch would not enhance the kit in anyway. I don't really want to do sprue shots as there are enough on the web already.

First update coming sometime tomorrow
regards Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
good luck!

will be an interesting one to watch

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jim
PE is such a mixed blessing. As you rightly say it is quite a task working the kit and PE instructions together and yet etch can raise a build to another level of detail. Deciding which parts of the PR fret are worth using also takes time.
I am sure you will make a cracking job of this.
Jim

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good afternoon one and all,
I've spent a very frustrating 4 hours now trying to get the latches made, this is the defining sub assembly because if I can't manage these then on board lockers will be worse than the kit originals. The photo below shows the size of the pieces I am dealing with, anyway tactical withdrawl tonight onwards to battle again tomorrow.

regards Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blimey Jim! You dont do things by half do you sir! :smiling3: Just make sure you dont put it near any magnets. I'm feeling your pain with the latches, Jim having just done some myself. I wish you all the best with the build. Its going to be a joy to watch. Good luck

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Firstly my apologies for not replying earlier real life got in the way,
Thanks John this is a challenge but one I am determined to master,
Hi Ron this is one of the bigger etch sets but still a 3rd of the Hummel set, and yes it is daunting
Good morning Paul I hope I can maintain your interest.
Hi Jim, photo etch companies do fill their sprues with the smallest components definately not fat finger friendly.
Hi Steve I'm realy struggling with the latches any advice wil be welcome.
Many thanks Jim

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul,
Good to have you along
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Do not worry Jim, you will soon learn to read in sterio and dream in triplicate. Watching along with the usual reprobates.
Cheers, Mike.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Mike,
The reading in stereo has proved easier than the fat fingered duel with the ammo storage clasps.
Cheers Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Good luck with it Jim. I need to go and lie down in a darkened room after seeing all of that etch.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
Thanks for dropping in, hopefully I'll make some progress soon.
regards Jim

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good Evening to you all,
Following the worst bout of man flu I have ever experienced which I contracted at the start of this blog and life in general being far from brilliant my patience isn't where it needs to be for this build so I am therefore putting it on hold for now and I'm moving onto something less taxing.
regards Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Jim,

So sorry to hear this, but I know exactly what you mean with the man flu. I hope your health returns to normal with no bad after effects. We will be here to watch this bling thing build when you are ready Sir. Just take your time and get well soon!!!

Prost
Allen