1:35 Dragon 6287 88mm Flak 37 (build version: 37, transport, extended shield)

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
I try to!!

And it's my birthday tomorrow and I asked for another kit, then there's Christmas and I asked for another kit, and then there's the kit delivered to work yesterday I got with a £25 Amazon voucher courtesy of winning a prize draw at work.......I am in trouble!!!!

First world problems ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
and

I think you asked for the wrong birthday present :smiling3:

I say sir what a truly outrageous statement!!!!!

I just need to take over yet another cupboard or better still convert the loft!! I don't suppose you have a spare £40k lying around that you don't need so I can get on with the conversion project do you?

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
So, work took over a whole lot during the last six months, and modelling could not be priotised highly, much less posting about it, unfortunately! This update therefore takes quite a huge leap, as I have painted the finished pieces which are now sitting on the modelling/kitchen table for final assembly. Something I am very much looking forward to, and want to have time to enjoy and feel like doing just that. I guess you know what I mean :smiling:

The first following pictures refer to the assembly of the chain hook for holding the artillery piece by the wheel set. I am pretty curious to see if this is done adequately for final assembly, but I it will not pose a problem, as the artillery will be carried by plastic hooks beneath the axles.

Assembling the hooks was not all too complicated, but took me a while to get ready to attempt to do since I was nervous about ruining the build. After measuring what is supposedly the correct chain length, I cut open the last chain piece, pried it crooked open with the red metal plier, put in the plastic piece, then pried the chain piece back together. It was fiddly, since the pieces are quite small, but doable. Not the easiest practical task, so be patient.

IMG_1095.JPGIMG_1116.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
These next pictures show attaching the chain piece to the wheel set. Now, this part was an example of reality seemingly not matching the instructions, which is otherwise not something which has plagued this Dragon build.

The problem was that the plastic holder on the actual piece to hold the chain is way too wide to accomodate the chain piece, and it is definitely not clear how to do this in the way Dragon imagined.

There are two wheel sets, so on the first I cut off the way too wide plastic holder, attached a piece of thin white strip (can also be seen in picture two in the post above), then placed the chain on that. It worked. On the second wheel set, I believe I placed the top chain piece on top of the "way too wide plastic holder", then glued it on there. The instructions did not guide me well on this particular part of the build, but for this one, this has been an exception.

Another issue with this particular step, as I remember, is the "way too wide plastic holder", on which you put piece F34 (the other half of the round box covering the chain) could not be contained within piece F34. Maybe, my memory is unclear on this, I am afraid. Sorry.

IMG_1131.JPGIMG_1117.JPGIMG_1132.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
From the above, I am afraid I just focused on completing the pre-paint build, and did not take pictures of the few remaining steps in between.

Below are pictures of the finished pieces - I was pretty proud and happy with this, and still am!

At this point, the gun still had elevation functionality.

For some reason, the instructions tell you to leave piece B13 (from step 1, cover piece on the barrel itself, which you can see halfway on the barrel) unglued, which made no sense after completing the build. So, I glued it before painting. No problem has occured on that score.

IMG_1371.JPGIMG_1372.JPGIMG_1373.JPGIMG_1374.JPGIMG_1375.JPGIMG_1376.JPGIMG_1377.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Here are the last pictures for now, taken after spray painting, using Army Painter Desert Yellow. Looking over the model, I think you definitely have to spray in a careful way to avoid paint pools covering up details. Better to do several passes, if you must.

As mentioned above, the gun is now awaiting post-paint assembly, before the camo and weathering takes place.

Unfortunately, the paint clogged up the elevation mechanism, and in my effort to unclog, I accidentally broke off one of the tabs, so it will have to be glued into place. Sucks a bit, but it's not like I was going to spend a lot of time elevating my Flak 37 anyway.

I can't wait to see this finished, standing on a flatbed car!

IMG_1440.JPGIMG_1441.JPGIMG_1714.JPGIMG_1715.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looking forward to seeing more on this one. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice so far Christian. Did you use a rattle can or an airbrush for the spray painting because airbrushing seldom clogs working parts if painted in thin coats. Anyway an anti-aircraft gun would look comfortable elevated for action.

Cheers,
Richard

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thanks, guys!

Richard, I used rattle can. I don't use an airbrush, which gives some challenges regarding camo paint.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I see...rattle cans can be a challenge for camo but if you know how to use tricks of masking you can get a decent camo pattern.

Cheers,
Richard

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
I plan on brushpainting the camo, which seems to leave out the option of having soft edges on the camo lines. A bit of a shame. Does anyone have good advice on this?

I have never tried masking for camopatterns, but maybe on some tanks (with few vulnerable surface details) this would make good sense and leave some possibility of soft edges.

Best regards

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One way is to mask the model with a putty-type material that stays soft, leaving open the areas you want camouflaged, and use a spraying can. If you don’t press down the edges of the material tightly against the model, then you’ll get some overspray underneath that makes a somewhat feathered edge.

Or you can just brush-paint it. Not all German equipment was artfully spray-painted by their crews: especially when time and equipment was limited, they would use anything at hand to apply the paint, including brooms and rags.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Christian, brush paint your first coat of camo.. Let the paint dry, then apply a second coat a fraction back from the first. Then, if required a third coat can be applied again slightly back from the previous coat.
This will leave a soft edge to the camouflage.

Ron

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
One way is to mask the model with a putty-type material that stays soft, leaving open the areas you want camouflaged, and use a spraying can. If you don’t press down the edges of the material tightly against the model, then you’ll get some overspray underneath that makes a somewhat feathered edge.

Or you can just brush-paint it. Not all German equipment was artfully spray-painted by their crews: especially when time and equipment was limited, they would use anything at hand to apply the paint, including brooms and rags.

Thanks, Jakko. I have seen an image of a Panzer IV painted with a broom, I think. It looked absolutely awful, and I don't think I would feel good trying to replicate that specific look.

However, the fact that not all camo was spraypainted on (as opposed to "all" models of those vehicles) I am attentive to, and I always save whatever images I believe to be of that variant.

The overspray technique might also be worth a try some time, though not for line camo.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Christian, brush paint your first coat of camo.. Let the paint dry, then apply a second coat a fraction back from the first. Then, if required a third coat can be applied again slightly back from the previous coat.
This will leave a soft edge to the camouflage.

Ron
This I will give a go, perhaps on the shield of this model.