1/35 German officer/small detail painting help

J

Jack10

I'm halfway through painting this captured german officer as part of a zvezda set of Russian scouts I bought (they will make a nice little diorama) ...IMG_1829.JPG
How do people get so much detail on their figures? I'm currently trying to get his iron cross and his collar details painted but I keep messing up. The smallest brush I have is 10/0 but it still seems too big. What do people use? Is there even smaller brushes out there?

J

John Rixon

At that scale, (IMHO) suggestion is the answer, Gestalt will take care of the rest! If you look at the great masters of painting (Constable's Hawain is a prime example) look at the figures in the distance - close examination reveals a few seemingly random squiggles which, from a distance, read as people. For an iron cross, just the suggestion of the curved edges highlighted with a bit of dry brushing will do the trick!

J

John Rixon

in fact, looking at it now on a computer, I read that easily as an iron cross!

J

Jack10

Thanks john, I've done the best with it that I could manage. Think I need some better quality brushes so going to invest in some on payday

First Name
colin
Jack it looks fine mate. Like john says at the scale your working in its more about suggestion than faithful reproduction. Saying that if you can reproduce everything I will take my hat off to you.

J

Jack10

I know col I just see other people's work at this scale and it all looks so much more detailed, even close up. And cheers glad it doesn't look too bad. Finished him now, just trying to paint the Russians now, struggling to get the colour right for their camoflage smocks

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As col and john have said your work is fine. The ones you have been looking at have probably been psinted by someone who has been painting years. Keep taking small steps and you will get there. Just remember to enjoy it.

J

Jack10

Cheers matey, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist never happy I am enjoying it though don't worry

First Name
Ty
For Iron Crosses and other silver medals I use thin black or dark grey. (Almost a wash) to do the recesses first. I then use silver dry brushing to pick up the highlights

F

Fenlander

Try using a pencil on the edges to get a metallic finish or invest in a silver and gold fine tip Sharpie pen, I use them a lot.

J

Jens Andrée

Like Graham said, there are paint pens that can be used for details.
I find them more controllable for such details than a soft brush.

At first I thought I had to paint all the little details on my figures but they never came out right. Later I learned that I should really paint them so they look good at a distance, not up close, and that made it easier in a way.
My figures are still not good but they look better - especially from a distance.