1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I just realised you had a run in with an Empty Vessel. Don't let him bother you as we have our own problems raising the bar at the next build. It's a self learning journey...man he should have seen your first dio and compare it with the one now and there'll be more better ones to come that he'll run out of rivets to count. It's your build and I like it.

I found that Uhu All Purpose Glue sticks well for my dios. It's used extensively by architectural model builders for their scaled houses and buildings.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
More fine work that man.
Thanks Peter.

Well done Noah. Glad you managed to save this one form the floods. Keep it comin my friend.
:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: Thanks Steve.
Hi John, I just realised you had a run in with an Empty Vessel. Don't let him bother you as we have our own problems raising the bar at the next build. It's a self learning journey...man he should have seen your first dio and compare it with the one now and there'll be more better ones to come that he'll run out of rivets to count. It's your build and I like it.

I found that Uhu All Purpose Glue sticks well for my dios. It's used extensively by architectural model builders for their scaled houses and buildings.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks, appreciate your support Richard.
Would have normally used UHU ap but had just run out, didn't want to use my UHU POR , too expensive for that large area.

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chaps, Just a bit of info. that could be useful, and as 453 would, I hope, agree.
Never use UHU All Purpose glue on foam boards or any form of polystyrene. It just melts the stuff . Always use UHU POR or equivalent.

....now back to the build.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chaps, Just a bit of info. that could be useful, and as 453 would, I hope, agree.
Never use UHU All Purpose glue on foam boards or any form of polystyrene. It just melts the stuff . Always use UHU POR or equivalent.

Correct indeed 570 !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

I'm sorry Ron but I beg to differ. The Kapa brand of foamboard uses a polyurethane type foam which responds excellently to regular UHU. I have used it for years at work.
It's the more expensive foamboard so seems a shame to waste the expensive UHU Por on it .
And actually, UHU Solvent-Free works just as well on polystyrene but is cheaper.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr Race,
Hope you and Mrs R managed to enjoy the big day in these strange times.

Ive got to admit I’m a bit perplexed about a camouflage building.....really? I wondered wether you’d been at the chocolate liqueurs :smiling5:!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a great article Steve. This illustrates an aspect of war that both ourselves and the Russians excelled.
If you want to read more, this book is fantastic as well.
1609063600127.jpeg
Of particular relevance to this discussion is the disguise of a key building in Torbruk. The building (I think it was the waterworks) was not disguised to hide it, it was painted and modified to make it appear to be destroyed. This made it seem to be a non viable target for air attack so it was left alone and continued to function throughout the siege.....hidden in plain sight as it were. It also illustrates that Alamein was far more than just a slugfest....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It was more than just buildings Si. The Arne peninsula was tricked out to be a decoy for the whole of Poole town.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm sorry Ron but I beg to differ. The Kapa brand of foamboard uses a polyurethane type foam which responds excellently to regular UHU. I have used it for years at work.
It's the more expensive foamboard so seems a shame to waste the expensive UHU Por on it .
And actually, UHU Solvent-Free works just as well on polystyrene but is cheaper.
Thanks Neil, as you know I only use Kapa board for the outer face. Good to see that UHU normal is ok.

Morning Mr Race,
Hope you and Mrs R managed to enjoy the big day in these strange times.

Ive got to admit I’m a bit perplexed about a camouflage building.....really? I wondered wether you’d been at the chocolate liqueurs :smiling5:!

Ha Si, not had any alcohol what so ever !! and that's the truth. I'm partial to a Baileys ( other cheaper brands are available but are not worth touching ) or when ill a large hot toddy with Southern Comfort.
Had a enjoyable day, but so strange I'm glad it's over with out any family it was nothing.

This is an interesting article all about camouflaged buildings that you might be interested in

Camo buildings
Thanks Steve.

That’s a great article Steve. This illustrates an aspect of war that both ourselves and the Russians excelled.
If you want to read more, this book is fantastic as well.
View attachment 408871
Of particular relevance to this discussion is the disguise of a key building in Torbruk. The building (I think it was the waterworks) was not disguised to hide it, it was painted and modified to make it appear to be destroyed. This made it seem to be a non viable target for air attack so it was left alone and continued to function throughout the siege.....hidden in plain sight as it were. It also illustrates that Alamein was far more than just a slugfest....
Looks worth a read Tim, shall see if its available in Kindle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started to knock the damaged wall about, want some of it down in the opening to the building. At the moment the steel roof support having been twisted and bent previously is having thin coats of paint applied.
Of course painted the damaged roofing sheets and then forgot to apply the black wash as they were upside down drying from another coat of internal colour. DUH.

Thanks for the comments.
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron

Hi Neil.
I was basing my observations on the effect the stuff has on the foam boards I use. It just melts them before my very eyes... :anguished: So I presumed it would have the same effect on all similar foam to the stuff I use.

So good to read UHU GP does work on most foam boards, as it's a darn sight cheaper than UHU POR too.

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. :thumb2:

Sorry for the slight diversion 453.

Vesuvius II (Inc.)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil.
I was basing my observations on the effect the stuff has on the foam boards I use. It just melts them before my very eyes... :anguished: So I presumed it would have the same effect on all similar foam to the stuff I use.

So good to read UHU GP does work on most foam boards, as it's a darn sight cheaper than UHU POR too.

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. :thumb2:

Sorry for the slight diversion 453.

Vesuvius II (Inc.)
Cheers Ron
I really hate to keep this going, and I hope you (and John) will forgive me , but UHU GP doesn't work on most foamboards, it's just the KAPA brand that is different.
It's the UHU SOLVENT FREE that does, and is the cheap alternative to UHU POR.
It seems a VERY petty point to be pushing, but I would feel terrible if someone reading this had a bad result due to my interference.
Pedant hat off, now back to John's brilliant building(and a gun or something)
sorry everyone

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheers Ron
I really hate to keep this going, and I hope you (and John) will forgive me , but UHU GP doesn't work on most foamboards, it's just the KAPA brand that is different.
It's the UHU SOLVENT FREE that does, and is the cheap alternative to UHU POR.
It seems a VERY petty point to be pushing, but I would feel terrible if someone reading this had a bad result due to my interference.
Pedant hat off, now back to John's brilliant building(and a gun or something)
sorry everyone
Of course Neil, you have far more experience of using Kapa board at work than I ever will.
What gun ? is there supposed to be one :upside:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just a tease , as nearly at the finish line .

2020_32AS.jpg
Tried to make this look like an old war time photo.
More tomorrow in the finished dio section.
Thanks for looking in .

John.