1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Good to see your return and great to see your figure work is getting better and better each time :thumb2:
Top stuff mate...keep it rolling :cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John

Really sorry but missed you finishing the gun, got to say that is an absolutely outstanding job. The figures are also really coming on very nicely indeed.

this is going to turn out to be something very special once it is finished.

All the best

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Nothing wrong with the way those figures are going. They will bring this dio to life.
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You have been a busy boy John, and figures all looking very nice as well.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening John,
Good to see your return and great to see your figure work is getting better and better each time :thumb2:
Top stuff mate...keep it rolling :cool:

Thanks Si.
Hi John

Really sorry but missed you finishing the gun, got to say that is an absolutely outstanding job. The figures are also really coming on very nicely indeed.

this is going to turn out to be something very special once it is finished.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew kind of you to say .
Hi John
Nothing wrong with the way those figures are going. They will bring this dio to life.
Jim
Cheers Jim.
You have been a busy boy John, and figures all looking very nice as well.

Andy.
It's nice to have the time again Andy .
these are looking really good John- I do love that close up!
Thanks a lot Neil .

Certainly lifted my spirits, you know how it is, produce something and then start to doubt what you have done .

Thanks to Tim I've revisited the collars and repainted them white, as the epaulettes. Having to think backwards when figure painting does seem strange, I just assumed you painted the dark main colour and then put some white stripes on. Of course this is no where as easy as it seems. Also I was unhappy with the darker shadows on the uniforms, need to be blended more.
Having read the kind comments I feel much better, just have to work on the blending and thin coats.
With luck I should have some time tomorrow afternoon to carry on .

John .

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
john,
those figgies are looking great...painting is looking spot on...love the hornet heads..I always try to use them when I can too...keep it coming

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
john,
those figgies are looking great...painting is looking spot on...love the hornet heads..I always try to use them when I can too...keep it coming
Thanks Joe, more tomorrow, unfortunately didn't get any more do to day as 48 young plants arrived and needed potting up.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all plants potted on and in the greenhouse to grow on in peace away from this change in weather.

Worked on the figures some more, painted the white over the collars as Tim mentioned and then repainted with a darker green, looks ok, nowhere near to Peters standards but a passable improvement.

Having purchased a proper wet palette by Frisk, rather large but soooo much easier to use I've spent the afternoon doing some shading and highlight to the POWS.

I recently watched a video
on figure painting, learned a lot and have tried to put it into practice. See what you think .

2020A.jpg2020_2B.jpg

Skin tones just started, and the figures themselves are just painted so hence the sheen. Faces Lifecolor and the uniforms Vallejos.

Comments welcome please.

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very good to me John, I have never had the nerve to tackle painting figures.

Andy.
Hi Andy, thank you .
It's taken me a good few years to make any sense of it, and only recently with using a wet palette has it improved. Just need to get the hang of skin tones and trying to paint the face. That's where I find it really hard with only having one good eye, and no depth of field.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, having no depth of field is a real challenge. I tried painting closing one eye and kept hitting the surface and making a mess of it so my hats off to you in getting these figures looking good. :thumb2: Good tips on painting thin lines from Tim although trying to pin point the sharp tip of the brush onto the surface will need loads of practice for you but eventually you'll get the hang of it. You will find you can paint the tiniest of dots with this method.

Your dio will be interesting with these new painted figures. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Commander Rice
Thanks Lee.
Hi John, having no depth of field is a real challenge. I tried painting closing one eye and kept hitting the surface and making a mess of it so my hats off to you in getting these figures looking good. :thumb2: Good tips on painting thin lines from Tim although trying to pin point the sharp tip of the brush onto the surface will need loads of practice for you but eventually you'll get the hang of it. You will find you can paint the tiniest of dots with this method.

Your dio will be interesting with these new painted figures. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard thank you. Bet that was strange feeling trying painting with one eye covered , good on you for trying . Yes practice is the key, and certainly with this lastest Dio as there are more than my normal quota of figures, I should have have enought.
John .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John

They're looking very good so far and I have no doubt that they will turn out very nicely at the end.

I'm going have to give a wet pallet a try at some point when in get onto large scale figure painting. Thanks also for the video, I'll have a proper look at some point.

In all seriousness I struggle with figures and indeed the finer points of some models with two good(ish) eyes, varifocal glasses and an optivisor, so I have no idea how you achieve what you do with only one. So all credit to you.

Keep up the good work.

Yours

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John

They're looking very good so far and I have no doubt that they will turn out very nicely at the end.

I'm going have to give a wet pallet a try at some point when in get onto large scale figure painting. Thanks also for the video, I'll have a proper look at some point.

In all seriousness I struggle with figures and indeed the finer points of some models with two good(ish) eyes, varifocal glasses and an optivisor, so I have no idea how you achieve what you do with only one. So all credit to you.

Keep up the good work.

Yours

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, determination and having to live with it, you have at adapt, bloody minded as well .:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Peter.