1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Can't be bothered really Jakko, then I'd have the glass and backing to get rid of!
Makes sense :smiling3: (Though I like having a pane of glass by my workbench, so I can get wheels all touching the ground :smiling3:)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just catching up on all this as am always on the run for something or other, not even time to work on my own stuff lately.
But things should start slowing up as winter starts to set in proper.

By then though I won't have a minutes peace I'm sure, as usual.

Great work so far John, I love the big towed guns of WW2.
Am looking in, you can be sure.

Jim
Hi Jim, good to have you call in . Won't be long before your up to your waist in snow pulling city folk out of ditches again. Let the boys do that and stay in the warm .
Thanks John thought about maybe foam board
Like 570 has rightly said foam board won't be strong enough, but building it up in the frame on the glass will be ok.
Looking dead smart 453. Top Gun!

Lee, foam board on it's own would be far too flexible. I'm the same as John. Usually too idle to take the thing to pieces.

I get my picture frames from charity shops. Almost any size, dirt cheap.
Thanks 570 , glad I'm not alone in the frame use. The annoying thing is I have loads of off cuts of 18 mm ply in the shop, the right size but don't want to drive the 14 miles to collect. Used the frames before and quite like the idea of having a edge pre done .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks John I wasn’t just going to put the foam board in I was planning to have foundation also underneath it

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Calling the weathering down, unless of course someone thinks I've missed a bit , and by all means say. Sorry the photos might appear a little rough, they were taken rather quickly and without the stand.

In no particular order. If they pass I'll put a coat of flat varnish on tomorrow.
Used a selection of oils and some Amig enamel washes.

:nerd::nerd:
2020_2_2abc.jpg2020_3_2bc.jpg2020_4_2bc.jpg2020_5_2bc.jpg2020_6_2bc.jpg
May be a pin wash again on those rivets and around that guard on the right, as shown above.

Thanks for looking in and following. The base is ready, had to make it wider on the frame, so no outer frame showing.Then the best part the buildings :nerd:

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
looking very nice:thumb2: I’d go for another pin wash if it where mine, it’s a cracking bit of kit and a dark pin wash will help highlight all those lovely details:smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening John,
looking very nice:thumb2: I’d go for another pin wash if it where mine, it’s a cracking bit of kit and a dark pin wash will help highlight all those lovely details:smiling4:
Thanks Si, that's good enough for me. First thing tomorrow then !
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well done JR......that's looking top of the heap!
Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Paul, lee and Rick .
Hopefully today I can finish the gun part and start on the buildings, have some ideas of it being set in a industrial landscape
John ..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That does indeed look very good. I do think oils and enamels work well in these situations. As Steve said it will be great on the base and with the figures.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks great John, can't wait for the finished dio.

Andy.
Cheers Andy, did another touch up today, now leaving to dry fully before the matt coat, now the building :nerd:

Hi John
That does indeed look very good. I do think oils and enamels work well in these situations. As Steve said it will be great on the base and with the figures.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I tried to do some pin washes, but it didn't quite work the way I thought , put some thinners on the intended area, applied the small brush loaded with a wash, just a blob, didn't run anywhere.:confused:

2020_5A.jpg

Ran down the sloped part , but on the vertical areas didn't look as good ( painted on its side so they were flat )

As I said to Andy now waiting to dry.

Can now start the building, more plastic section on order, nice amount of brick work to do and a load of roofing corrugated sheeting, will be as happy as child in a sweet shop. :smiling3::smiling3:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming to the conclusion I'd put too a thick coat on of the gloss varnish, even though it was thinned, think I its was so thick it reduced the detail. Lesson learnt !

To day I altered the base, wanted to have a 2nd hight .

2020_2_2a.jpg

Gluing some 65mm foam approx and leaving a small area of the right hand corner to have some water.

Tomorrow I can remove the weight and photo again and start on the buildings. Some modelling section on the way for pipe work !!! and support. Also some ally for the roofing sheets.Deep joy .

Attachments

• 2020_3_2a.jpg
    2020_3_2a.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 3

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Sounds like you have a full day tomorrow