1/35 Hanomag Sdkfz 251/8 Ambulance

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve. It’s about time I think JR started chewing on his coffee cup. You know I can’t do camo yet but I’m willing to try but not in this one. Or course it will have Red Crosses I’m waiting to order them they are so expensive on sleez bay trying to find a vendor that has water slide. Thanks for stopping by with the biscuits.

Rick. You just don’t know what I will do but I hope it turns out good thanks for dropping in better grad a Biscuits

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just spray them yourself: Red Cross markings are among the easiest to make. Use some masking tape to delineate the white background and spray that, then draw (or print) a cross of the required size on a piece of paper and cut it out with a sharp knife, and tack that to the model with some more tape to spray the red.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The thing is Lee we think your more than capable of doing a winter camo , or any other for that matter.
If I can managed it....................
John:smiling:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jakko. I really thought about that but I would probably hand paint them thanks for the advice it is welcomed

John. I’m building confidence I’m afraid if I get the camo wrong abd post it then it off to the firing squad I may surprise you but not on this corn field animal

Jim. Thanks I for dropping in I went back to work this week no bench time

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko. I really thought about that but I would probably hand paint them
That’ll work just as well, as long as you make the masks out of something you can stick down. Trying to brush-paint through a hole cut in a piece of printer paper isn’t going to go very well, I suspect :smiling3:

Wait, just after writing that I realise you probably meant: hand-paint without masks. Sure, also doable, if you’ve got steady enough hands. If I were to do this myself I’d probably draw the crosses in pencil first, to make sure the dimensions are right, because I’ve got a bad habit of getting proportions wrong when doing it like that.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You read my mine friend but I will practice on a piece of styrene before trying it on the model to see how many coats it will take and how it will react to the existing paint.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Lee,
Good to see you tackling this golden oldie. I think this was one of the first Tamiya kits I ever built?
Mine ended up becoming a test subject for weathering, plus I kept breaking those width indicators off :smiling5:

Looking good so far, good luck with the markings I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lee,
As you said practice with the masks on some styrene or an old kit, try various ways of doing it as Jakko has said when your happy with which technique you want to use, transfer it onto the build. You are more than up to the challenge.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Si. Thanks as you as you see I like the old Tamiya stuff

Scottie. Thanks for the support I’m still unsure how to tackle this

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m still unsure how to tackle this
My advice would be to cut yourself a little test mask from printer paper, and next time you spray a model and have paint in your airbrush anyway, see how spraying through it goes — just use another piece of paper or a bit of a cardboard box or some similar scrap you have at hand.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It’s been a long while since I’ve done anything to this guy so this morning I painted and weathered the tarp and gave it a light weathering.The Small Scale is getting to me going to take a break from it ECA75953-3C97-4CC4-B9E3-2FBA84D28700.jpeg10460C31-3EB0-4243-8D85-941D992E5255.jpegD0B1E606-B097-44E4-8D81-74D47FC348CE.jpeg863FD989-C0AA-4A5A-97CA-08D3DFD68185.jpegCFB02E45-46BB-4F88-8FA8-836E9579640E.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. Thanks my eyes are at ease

Scottie. Thanks for the complement I love to weather just wish I was good at it

I got the tracks on and weathered and done some detail painting like the mirror and such. The pioneer tools are next then ordering my decals532CFA3E-7F38-44B7-8CD0-A2D77778FD5C.jpegEBE384FC-A9C1-4DCF-8DA5-BEC2CE6B1E9C.jpeg