1/35 HobbyBoss Sd.Kfz.254 Saurer

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neil,
The Academy Stuart tracks are NOT easy, the straight runs are OK, but the sprockets & idlers................... The end connectors always seems to swivel at the wrong moment - a third mobile hand would be useful! . When the links are this small, I'm NOT cleaning up seams - just going to use thicker paint.
I've made a start on the tracks - trying to work out the best way to assemble them. The easiest bit is the links on the drive sprockets.P1060104.JPG

The links are too small for my jig, so, at the moment, I'm going to assemble the links in groups of three - I'm having to use tweezers for each individual link! I'm going to have a think about how I can speed that process up, otherwise, I'm going to have to change my listening, ditch Pink Floyd, and go for the entire Wagner Der Ring des Nibelungen !
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have to make do with listening to Pink Floyd!
I put on popular music radio :smiling3:

My grandson has an Academy Stuart with track links, and we keep putting it off. it will be the first time for me- maybe a couple more years when I can confidently allow him to do them for himself...:thinking:
Try assembling a flat run of ten or fifteen or so links first. This will probably tell you if the links assemble OK or if there’s something fundamentally wrong with them. As long as the end connectors grip tightly enough to prevent the track coming apart, they’ll likely assemble reasonably well (tip: don’t buy AFV Club separate-link Sherman tracks).

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Following this track fitting with interest .

Funny that some work with music, I never had it on when I was in my workshop, too much machinery noise and banned it when fitting in people's homes . Later when I started modelling I enjoyed haveing a CD on, but the player has packed up, so now silence !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I use my computer - I have a couple of speakers plugged in - then I use Spotify, to either play my selection, or play tracks based on my previous listening. It has adverts, but it's FREE, I've listened to really old stuff - and to people & genres I'd never considered before ( Eminem! )
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Dave, just downloaded Spotify, and have it on now .great !
John .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tracks don't look like much fun. Used to model to music, but too many noise complaints, so now work in silence. Get more done now actually, as I no longer stop for the really good parts. PaulE

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Tracks don't look like much fun. Used to model to music, but too many noise complaints, so now work in silence. Get more done now actually, as I no longer stop for the really good parts. PaulE
Buy some headphones, join the 21st century..... go deaf like the rest of us :tongue-out3:
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Following this track fitting with interest .

Funny that some work with music, I never had it on when I was in my workshop, too much machinery noise and banned it when fitting in people's homes . Later when I started modelling I enjoyed haveing a CD on, but the player has packed up, so now silence !
John,
Always have music on anything from AC/DC to Mozart, have a long extension and plug in the earphones to the computer or use my old Philips cd player which to date has worn out two power packs.
Mike.

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Neil,
The Academy Stuart tracks are NOT easy, the straight runs are OK, but the sprockets & idlers................... The end connectors always seems to swivel at the wrong moment - a third mobile hand would be useful! . When the links are this small, I'm NOT cleaning up seams - just going to use thicker paint.
I've made a start on the tracks - trying to work out the best way to assemble them. The easiest bit is the links on the drive sprockets.View attachment 336309

The links are too small for my jig, so, at the moment, I'm going to assemble the links in groups of three - I'm having to use tweezers for each individual link! I'm going to have a think about how I can speed that process up, otherwise, I'm going to have to change my listening, ditch Pink Floyd, and go for the entire Wagner Der Ring des Nibelungen !
Dave
Dave,
I thought you had learned your lesson with the Light Tank tracks, but must admit it is looking good so far.
Mike.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always preferred to feel the music as well as hear it, whether AC/DC or Wagner. Never much liked the feel of headphones or buds, but might reconsider if I had to do those tracks. PaulE

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice and a different one Dave, seems to fit you nicely.:smiling:
Great looking progress on the assembly, good luck with the tracks, hope the grouping in three works out.:thumb2:

Ps. Avid Spotify user here too, indeed so much artists to find there.:smiling4:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Always have music on anything from AC/DC to Mozart, have a long extension and plug in the earphones to the computer or use my old Philips cd player which to date has worn out two power packs.
Mike.
Mike, Dave has converted me, been dragged into the 21st century now using Spotify. Have created several lists Inc ACDC and JJ Cale for a start !
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've tried a few ways to speed up the track assembly - I found a section of brass square pipe - about the right size - but when you look at the links closely - the guide horns splay out, so it's difficult to use them as a guide.....................P1060107.JPG

I fell back onto double sided tape on a rule, with a straight edge to keep things tidy
P1060105.JPG

It's not the quickest, or easiest - you have place each link with tweezers - some look a bit uneven - I'll have to straighten them out before fixing them with TET. I've managed to do both the roadwheel straight runs in about 1 1/2 hours, so it's going to take quite a while.
I do hope there are a few spares - the carpet monster has had a few snacks already :fearful:
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Dave a battle royal if there ever was. I can see you beating it but if any of mine are like this I shall take up knitting.

S

Spartan

Dave my hat goes off to you tackling those individual track links. I like the fact you use double sided tape onto a rule. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Those track links do look difficult and time consumming.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
they're not particularly difficult - just fiddly. Time consuming? oh yes - I'm onto listening to OMD albums at the moment - I may get onto Ultravox before I finish the tracks!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nearly there with the tracks, I have 2 more sections of 25mm to make....................P1060109.JPG

At this stage, dry fitting is essential, so the idler to last return roller is tested
P1060108.JPG

I'm wondering at what stage I will have to undercoat & basecoat. If I leave it too late it will be difficult to reach some places, too soon, and I'll run into problems adding further parts.
The wheels are attached to hinged brackets - at the moment, I can't see if there is a fixed ride height...............
Dave