1/35 HobbyBoss Sd.Kfz.254 Saurer

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Phew!!! I've finally assembled the track links into their individual runs - it's taken me quite a few hours, and many Albums on Spotify!!!P1060110.JPG

I'm happy that I may only need a few single links to add at the joins. I'll need to assemble the wheeled portion of the running gear, before I prime & basecoat. I'm going to use the Dunkelgelb scheme, it's easier to weather than the Panzer Grey.....................
After I finish this build, I think I'm going to go for a simple wingy thing..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The wheeled part of the suspension - It's complicated enough, but this is simplified! There's no steering arms etc... ( just as well! )
These are the parts for the front & rear wheelsP1060111.JPG
Mostly tiny pins sprung into tiny holes, not very strong.

The front wheel hubs in the up positionP1060112.JPG

And down......................P1060113.JPG

These are very fragile, and as soon as I can work out a ride height, I'm going to securely glue all bits.

The rear axle, at the moment, it just flops around!
P1060116.JPG
Again, when I get the ride height - it'll all be firmly fixed.
From the side, with the hubs downP1060115.JPG

I'm almost ready to prime the bottom part - I'll use Stynlyrez Black Primer, followed with a basecoat of AK Dunkelgelb. I'll mask off the upper hull - there are a good few bits to add.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good job it's not by MiniArt if the some of the plastic is fragile !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've set the ride height - I'd intended to do all 4 wheels at the same time but far too fiddly - I had to do them individually..................
P1060118.JPG

After I'd done all 4 ( the road wheels being held on by blutac ), I dropped CA onto all the
joints - then tiptoed away to let them dry..........................

Wheels removed, and mating surfaces masked ( with fluid ). Primed with blackP1060119.JPGP1060120.JPG

Next will be a basecoat.................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Cracking job. Neat and well thought out. Tracks look great and wheels/suspension is really nicely detailed.
Jim

S

Spartan

Dave this is turning out to be a great build. The track and suspension look great.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lower hull now ready for tracks, and wheels. I used Vallejo Sepia Game Ink, thinned, rather than black, which looks a bit too stark.......P1060122.JPG

I've painted the tyres, and the tracks. I notice that the tyres are a bit of a loose fit on the hubs, so I might have to resort to CA on the inner rims. I''ll leave off fitting them, to make it easier to handle, whilst the top is assembled. There is absolutely no interior, so all hatches will be firmly shut
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The top is finally united with the bottom - all the vision ports, hatches etc were fitted from inside before thisP1060123.JPGP1060124.JPG

I have to say that the fit between top and bottom was very good - top put into position, and TET wicked into the joint. I must say that the 254 is, apart from the suspension, a pretty boring vehicle! No fancy gun mounts, weird fittings, just rather flat and bland...............
Dave

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
Well done on the tracks and the suspension. The rest of the build is also coming along at a pace. :thumb2:
Cheers, Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Back to the bench after a few days ( visitors! )
Looking at the instructions, there are three tiny PE brackets on the front of the vehicle:P1060125.JPG

Move on a couple of stages - you cover them up!
P1060126.JPGP1060128.JPG
And a few stages further on...............................P1060127.JPG

Just as well I didn't bother with them!
One of those days, the CA didn't want to stick any PE onto the model - I lost two brackets. and I glued my arm to the cutting mat. I think that is it for today!
P1060129.JPG

The frame aerial fitted better than I anticipated, just very careful removal from the sprue, and holding my breath!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gloss varnished - time for the tracks!P1060147.JPGP1060148.JPG
Letting everything dry - before the final section to be added. I should have left off the frame aerial until after the tracks - it's difficult to hold, and with the fragile top bits, I can't put it upside down.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
The top may be rather bland and uninteresting but the running gear more than makes up for it. Looking good and not far to go.
Jim

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just scanned your entire posting on this David, sorry it took so long but life does complicate things.
Very interesting and little known to many vehicle and great work so far:thumb2:

Jim