1/35 ICM Daimler Benz G4 Staff Car

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I've posted pics elsewhere but it's such a fiddly kit, that is courting disaster at every turn, I thought I'd do a Fred.

Pics for the moment, thoughts ( suicidal & plasticidal ) to follow...

28jF1kK.jpg

4Ecs18t.jpg

My18cmq.jpg

3oqmqwM.jpg

GCi62XZ.jpg

HnYT9Hr.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm impressed Dan , as I know you like that type of chassis and can build them. My idea of hell ! So can't imagine what went wrong :confused:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
John, and anyone else who's reading....

In my humble, average modelling skill, mechanic fingered opinion, this kit has way too many parts !

Detail is an essential part of our hobby but many of the tiny parts in this kit just fight each other for the same space.

I'll be honest, I left quite a lot of shock levers and drop arms off the suspension coz it was just too much faff.

The fit of some parts was just bad, square pegs in round holes type stuff and the wheels were just plain wobbly.

I think I may have been spoiled by Tamiya.

Because it's going to be on the trailer & partially covered I'm just going to do the bare minimum so it looks good in situ.

Ethically this is bad but what the eye don't see, etc........

Feel free to discuss !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dan

I know what your mean. There are times when kits use 5 parts when one or two will do for no apparent reason.

As has been said by Tim and John already, your build, your rules.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dan,
yes, the G4 is a bit of a Rubik's cube! - I made one many years ago, but fell at the last hurdle, trying to create the chromium strips on the bodywork - I made such a mess that it became landfill! The ICM softskin models tend to be like that, but the G4 seems to be the extreme example. All the car models cram a lot of parts into a small space, worse than the trucks! Great idea to cover most of the beast with a tarp!
ICM & Zvezda both try to mould parts to scale size, which is technically good, but makes assembly more difficult - not ones for the beginner.............
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At times I have tried to follow the instructions and put, or try to put every thing in place.Then you draw the line, how much will anyone see and if its becoming really stressful you do what you can. It would be nice to be able to build a complete model as the instructions but I'm now resigned to the fact that much of it is beyond me. Mud and fire have often been my saviour.
Probably why I love dioramas with buildings so much.

First Name
Andy
ICM do tend to have many, many small parts to try to replicate the original, but some are really too small to work with unless you have the patience of Job and binoculars for eyes. I am almost finished with an ICM truck and it also has tiny, fiddly bits, one or two of them are now residing in the spares box as at the end of the day, who will know? ;)

Andy.

Last edited:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
ICM do tend to have many, many small parts to try to replicate the origina, but some are really too small to work with unless you have the patience of Job and binoculars for eyes. I am almost finished with an ICM truck and it also has tiny, fiddly bits, one or two of them are now residing in the spares box as at the end of the day, who will know? ;)

Andy.

I've got their G7107 Chevy sitting in the wings. I love these trucks in real life and am hoping that love will see my through building the kit !

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Press on Dan.... NEVER SURRENDER!!
I'm currently trying to finish an AFV Gun Truck which is an awful kit,....but I'll carry on until the bitter end :smiling3:
Looking like you're cracking it so far mate;)
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dan
Some modellers are taken in by a high parts count. There is an assumption that a high parts count equals great detail. Only true up to a point. Often the detail is so small that it can't be appreciated or is hidden anyway.
Your approach is sensible and so far you are doing a great job.
Jim

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Absolutely Jim. If one was going to do a workshop rebuild diorama It'd be perfect !

Thanks all, I nearly had a funny turn earlier & thought " No, b******s to it, I'll just paint it all dark grey and save myself the trouble"

I'm going to stick with the light grey/black gloss paint scheme though.

Been watching all 3 BTTF films over the past couple of days and I think I may be channeling Marty McFly.

/ nobody calls me chicken.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are doing a good job Dan. Have been tempted by this 'car' many times but have never succumb dur to there has always been a more tempting kit that got in the way.

ICM do make some great kits but they are very much kits that need building and not just putting together. Some are better than others...When they start to include microscopic parts in Photoetch that are impossible to either use or leave off, I think that they are taking the mic.
And yes there are many manufacturers that think more parts mean better kits. Sometimes true but most of the time.... not so much. Or they put tons of high detail in places that will never be seen and skimp the details on places that are sat right in front of you.