1/35 ICM Daimler Benz G4 Staff Car

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dan I often wonder If the manufacturer ever attempts to build a kit as detailed as this . Easily designed on a screen by an expert but extremely difficult to build when it consists of such small parts.Ive found chassis assemblies like that impossible.
The upper shots look great , good luck with the rest of the build .

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Or they put tons of high detail in places that will never be seen and skimp the details on places that are sat right in front of you.

100% this. I sat there debating this very point last night. Why, oh why, 97 parts for the rear suspension that can't be seen and yet the floorboards of a convertible car are smooth ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I don't know if it is significant, but the ICM website has only renders of the 1/35 G4!!
there is one guy who managed to finish one :
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dan,
:smiling: Sorry late to the party. Love the fact I'm in the lunatic catagory, however you must now be included after dealing with the chassis. Great work so far.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dan,
:smiling: Sorry late to the party. Love the fact I'm in the lunatic catagory, however you must now be included after dealing with the chassis. Great work so far.
See Paul you've reached the dizzy heights in the modelling world of being in the Lunatic class:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::thumb2:;)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jib crane already erected over bench due to construction of 1/72 scale P47 for Red Ball dio now in hiatus.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I don't know if it is significant, but the ICM website has only renders of the 1/35 G4!!
there is one guy who managed to finish one :
Dave

I wonder if he appeared a little less unhinged before he built it.

/ Gonna finish it, even if it costs me my few remaining marbles.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Thanks to Eunice I was (mostly) safe behind battened hatches and managed to get a bit further on with this & the FAMO.

I still hate it, but not enough to bin it. It's been close though ! Weather's looking crap for tomorrow so maybe I'll get some paint on the body & fenders.

J4jrfDd.jpg

9MexQ3X.jpg

Last edited:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Nearly there, battled the gloss paint to a satisfactory conclusion. Just a bit of finishing up ( including the wheels !) and I'll get it loaded up & strapped down.

I'd like to say I've enjoyed it, but I haven't. Whether that's down to my ability or the kits complication, I'm not sure. Bit of both, maybe.

It's gone together well enough to play its part in the life of my FAMO but I wouldn't recommend it.

ZvFqZPH.jpg

SWTu6Nc.jpg

/ what a grouch !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ooo, shiney :thumb2: Seriously though, looks good to me. Should contrast well with the Famo….tyres may need dulling down a little though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No fear mate, though there is tyre treatment around that glossed them up like that…..not sure if it was around then, what it was, or even how it worked?

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Well, it is with relief, though also with a heavy heart, that I report that this kit will not get finished. It's got too many mistakes on it & when I mocked up the completed FAMO set up earlier, it just annoyed me. It looks awful. My excuse ? It's an overly complicated kit,. A lack of skill and, it turns out, inadequate eyesight (first visit to the opticians in 30 years last week) have conspired to end the build.

Better come up with something fresh for the FAMO payload I guess.

I may give the G4 to our 8 month old Sprocker and see what she makes of it. Obviously I'll film the results !

Say Auf Wiedersehen !

bRYATbn.jpg

edit It looks even worse this big !!

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
That is very sad Dan, but I do understand your sentiment.
I think, as we are so used to cars, and the fact that they are, in real life perfect, we expect to achieve the same level in a model, which I am finding is nigh on impossible.
ATB
Garry

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Thanks Garry. You live & learn. I'll stick to real cars & 1/35 military stuff, As the great Harry Callaghan once said....

"Man's got to know his limitations"

YxaCdDD.jpg