1/35 Israeli CJ-5M (Accurate Armour conversion of Skybow M38A1C)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
My next build will be an Israeli CJ-5M armed with the M40 106mm recoilless rifle. I hope to fit it into a small dio with figures. The Israelis bought M38A1C and CJ-5 jeeps and converted them to their own specification. They were commonly used as reconnaissance vehicles as well as being armed with an M40. After the Yom Kippur War in 1973 most were retired.
ref4.jpg

The base kit is the Skybow M38A1C with the Accurate Armour conversion kit.
P1060583.JPG

I think Skybow sold out to AFV Club and they have now made an Israeli version - the Tolar (can't decide whether Tolar refers to the vehicle or the gun?)

The kit is nice although getting on for 25 years old. One of those kits where they have used ten parts when one would do but it does provide nice detail. The AA conversion looks OK but cost more than the kit!
P1060877.JPG

P1060878.JPG

P1060879.JPG

P1060880.JPG

I hope it may be of interest to some of you. You'll need plenty of patience as I'm painfully slow. The missus will bake cake and there will be tea and coffee. Please don't drop crumbs on the carpet as it is fairly new.
Jim

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think Skybow sold out to AFV Club
AFV Club purchased Skybow at some point about 20 years ago, IIRC.

The kit is nice although getting on for 25 years old. One of those kits where they have used ten parts when one would do
The two companies very much thought alike, maybe that’s why AFV Club wanted to buy them :smiling3:

I hope it may be of interest to some of you.
Certainly. Soft-skins are not my primary interest, but stick a big gun on one, and it suddenly gets far more interesting …

BTW, why did you post this in the Armoured Vehicles section? :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Joining the party.... And not just for the tea and cake!! ;)

ATB.

Andrew

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see something a little different from you again Jim. Looks a cracking subject to build. If you need any reference material let me know. Good luck my friend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome guys.
Steve - decent reference pictures do seem hard to come by so any you find would be most welcome. Put them on the thread, pm them to me or you could email them - whatever is easiest.
One issue I'll have is vehicle markings. Most of those in the Skybow kit are wrong of course and the AA conversion doesn't include decals. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Made a start on the chassis/engine. Very little of the engine/gearbox etc will be seen but as I don't know how much is structural I built it up anyway and just gave it a coat of black Stynylrez. Still a far bit more to add.
P1060882.JPG

P1060883.JPG

P1060884.JPG

Mounted up on a 'handle' as it's very fragile and will only get more so.
P1060886.JPG

P1060887.JPG

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve, you are a star :smiling: :hugging-face:
How on earth people like you and Jakko find these references I just don't know. Although I'm not obsessed with accuracy it's nice to be able to have the information to at least try.
Many thanks.
John, with a practical bib like that you're more than welcome. I get some gluten free cakes in just for you.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome Scottie
I didn't know you had built this. I think the AFV kit is a re-release of the Strongbow kit. Any advice would be welcome. Any photos stick them on here - I'd love to see them.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Jim,

I'm a little late to the party, but I brought my own beer. No cakes for me as they're not good for the figure, so don't worry about crumbs....

Interesting vehicle here and I know you will do it proud. You have enough piccies to go to town now and bang this puppy out!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Springs and axles built and the final odds and sods attached to the chassis. Believe it or not the chassis, engine, springs and axles etc consists of 55 pieces!!! Sad I know but I counted them :thinking: Come on Skybow that is taking the wee-wee :angry:
P1060889.JPG

P1060890.JPG

I forgot to photograph the whole thing. Too busy looking through all the great ref piccies Steve sent.

I started on the body panels. Just floor, sides and bulkhead, Somewhere something was slightly out, only a fraction but it meant that fitting body to the chassis had to be done in stages. Rear glued - left 24 hours - front clamped and glued. I'll leave it clamped until tomorrow and hopefully it will be ok.
P1060891.JPG

Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good!!!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
No chance of it escaping in the night lol, looks like some decent progress :thumb2: yep I count axle pieces too:smiling5: