1/35 Krupp Protze

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Arrived today, just got to get my head into place. Surprised to see that there's a sprue of 'weapons & equipment' with it (reckon that the painting of the Luger and Walther pistols is going to be fun!) molding looks good.
DSC_0009.JPG
Thinking that I'm going to have to take my time with this.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So which is it going to be Gerry...the Starmix or Protze? :smiling5:;)...where is my coat......taxi!!!

Seriously the Protze is going to be a fun build. One of the nicest looking trucks the Wehrmacht had.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Nice choice of kit. Being Tamiya it should go together without too many issues.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
So which is it going to be Gerry...the Starmix or Protze? :smiling5:;)...where is my coat......taxi!!!

Seriously the Protze is going to be a fun build. One of the nicest looking trucks the Wehrmacht had.

Cheers,
Richard
Starmix went to the 'boss' (gotta keep on the right side)
Hi Gerry
Nice choice of kit. Being Tamiya it should go together without too many issues.
Jim
Looks possibly as though it's fairly new molds, as everything looks crisp. Like the addition of the roll of 'barbed wire' in with the kit.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,well,.....You went and got one eh?!!:smiling:
An excellent choice if i may say so Gerry..... it really is a cracking kit,goes together like most Tamiya kits.... SUPERBLY!!:cool:
Probably one of my most enjoyable builds ever,i look forward to seeing what you make of it mate:thumb2:,
As they say....... "Enjoy" !!
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks possibly as though it's fairly new molds, as everything looks crisp.
In that case it would be a new set of moulds for an old kit, as this is nothing more than a re-issue of the 1978 original, with a new sprue for some figures and accessories :smiling3:

The extra sprue, BTW, is simply from the old German Infantry Weapons set. I wouldn’t recommend using all of it on one vehicle :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well,well,.....You went and got one eh?!!:smiling:
An excellent choice if i may say so Gerry..... it really is a cracking kit,goes together like most Tamiya kits.... SUPERBLY!!:cool:
Probably one of my most enjoyable builds ever,i look forward to seeing what you make of it mate:thumb2:,
As they say....... "Enjoy" !!
Andy
Was a 'good' price on the bay, so was rude not to! :thumb2:
In that case it would be a new set of moulds for an old kit, as this is nothing more than a re-issue of the 1978 original, with a new sprue for some figures and accessories :smiling3:

The extra sprue, BTW, is simply from the old German Infantry Weapons set. I wouldn’t recommend using all of it on one vehicle :smiling3:
Thinking that most of the weapons set will be going into the 'kit' pot, and the three figures into the 'figures' pot - two look a great deal 'better' than the 'normal' Tamiya figures.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Bit of a negative post there Jakko!!
I`m kinda guessing that you`ve not actually built this,seeing your comments? Obviously i could be wrong there as i don`t know you,however,in my humble opinion,this kit is pretty damned good....
and if,as you suspect,it really is that old,then it was certainly ahead of it`s time!!:rolling:
As one who has built this,and many other contemporary vehicles,of similar types/nationalities i still say......
"NICE ONE ,enjoy a great kit that is a pleasure to build,and can be made to look SUPERB"........ unless you`re a rivet counter/ABSOLUTE HISTORIAN..... or ,God forbid...... just a happy modeller,enjoying YOUR build!!:thinking::rolling::cool::thumb2::thumb2:,
Andy

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The kit is 'copywritten' for '78, the paperwork for '87 but the molding is good, not any flash even on the thumbs of the figure, haven't spotted any sinkholes (yet!) either.
Wondering what I'll foul up on it now! :smiling5: :tears-of-joy:
IMG_20210317_184059446.jpg
IMG_20210317_184845191.jpg
IMG_20210317_184902591.jpg

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
It is? I just pointed out it’s not a new kit but dates back a fair way. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad kit, just what I said: it’s not new, though perhaps the moulds are.
Looking at the sprues, the molding is far better than it was on the BMW - I've (so far) only spotted one set of mold lines, and that's on the legs of the driver (which I doubt that I'll be using for this model)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
Will follow with interest as I fancy one of these as well.
I'm still going through the Tamiya 'paint scheme' and comparing to photos that I can find, found one bit that I disagree with Tamiya so far - they list the drivers bench seat as khaki - all the old photos show a dark cover, so I'll probably will be doing it either satin black or dark grey.
Now that I know that you're interested in doing one, really got to get my 'A' game on the go, just so I don't get shown up too much! :thumb2: :smiling2:

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Gerry, if it's a new mold from an old tooling I'm sure Tamiya with its exact manufacturing process and QC would have made sure it was good.

I'm not a spokesperson for Tamiya ok but I had the chance of seeing a technician or engineer fiddling with one of the molding machines in the Tamiya factory in Shizuoka. He had extruded a number of boxes of sprues to the waist bin while testing and tuning the machine, punching numbers on a keypad and tweaking with his tools after every press. By his side he had a few bags of different coloured plastic pellets which he mixed. Also by the side was a table where he laid out sprues at every stage of a final test for inspection. At the beginning you can see alignment corrections but at the end I don't know what he was tweaking and adjusting for. He was immaculately dressed in a lab coat, googles and gloves...white haired, probably a master at his trade. So precise it looked as if he was making a Katana sword.

I guess that's why it's priced higher than most kits but you get something that fits right and easy...almost.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry, if it's a new mold from an old tooling I'm sure Tamiya with its exact manufacturing process and QC would have made sure it was good.

I'm not a spokesperson for Tamiya ok but I had the chance of seeing a technician or engineer fiddling with one of the molding machines in the Tamiya factory in Shizuoka. He had extruded a number of boxes of sprues to the waist bin while testing and tuning the machine, punching numbers on a keypad and tweaking with his tools after every press. By his side he had a few bags of different coloured plastic pellets which he mixed. Also by the side was a table where he laid out sprues at every stage of a final test for inspection. At the beginning you can see alignment corrections but at the end I don't know what he was tweaking and adjusting for. He was immaculately dressed in a lab coat, googles and gloves...white haired, probably a master at his trade. So precise it looked as if he was making a Katana sword.

I guess that's why it's priced higher than most kits but you get something that fits right and easy...almost.

Cheers,
Richard

TBH, the price wasn't that high, (plenty of kits that are more expensive) and looking like it's going to be a 'simple' assembly OOTB with just the dashboard being an 'awkward' paint (no decals supplied), all 6 wheels are free to rotate, as well as being able to position front wheel steering angle, 'tow hitch' is just a basic pin (like a 'Matchbox/Corgi' car) - so could be 'improved' by someone with more modelling skills than me - other than that, so far, it's looking good, just got to make a start (other than just looking at the instruction sheet and comparing with the sprues)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Update after starting with the 2.5x mags on
The molding lines are there - just not too pronounced but enough to need a scraping.
There are three 'blemishes' on each side of the cab which will sit out like sore thumbs if left (thought that they'd be covered when I first looked, but they're on the inside of the cab:disappointed:)
And this little lot is just on the first 'section' - still better quality molding than the BMW!:smiling5::thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gerry I shall sit at the back away from the German vehicle experts. :nerd:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry I shall sit at the back away from the German vehicle experts. :nerd:
I'm no expert - and tend to do a search for images on the internet to find out what they look like (then try to get an idea of colour from the shade of grey!) ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are three 'blemishes' on each side of the cab which will sit out like sore thumbs if left
Are they circular depressions and/or slightly raised areas? If so, these are ejector marks. They’re left by the pins that push the sprue from the mould after it’s been made, as you can see at the point this video starts:

(Watching the whole thing gives you a good idea of how model kit parts are made, BTW.)

Anyway, the marks are left on the part because the pins are usually not quite flush with the rest of the mould, but they’re needed to get the part out. This is why many smaller parts have a little extra round bit of plastic attached to them, which you have to cut away: for an ejector pin to push against, rather than the part itself. Especially older kits often have ejectors pushing against larger parts themselves, and frequently in areas that will be visible after assembly.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
QUOTE="GerryW, post: 551407, member: 8608"]
I'm no expert - and tend to do a search for images on the internet to find out what they look like (then try to get an idea of colour from the shade of grey!) ;)
[/QUOTE]
Well then Bud....,you`ve had a good bit of interaction on this particular subject eh?!!:thumb2:
And well deserved too in my opinion! ....As an asidei loved my kit so much at the time,that i bought THIS......
protze 1.jpg
It`s quite well priced,and you get a LOT for your money-hence these pics show what`s left AFTER using what you need!! :cool:,
I do wish you well with this one..... if ever there`s been a kit to encourage people into the hobby........ then this one in particular fits the bill!!
Andy

Reactions: JR