1/35 Krupp Protze

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Are they circular depressions and/or slightly raised areas? If so, these are ejector marks. They’re left by the pins that push the sprue from the mould after it’s been made, as you can see at the point this video starts:

(Watching the whole thing gives you a good idea of how model kit parts are made, BTW.)

Anyway, the marks are left on the part because the pins are usually not quite flush with the rest of the mould, but they’re needed to get the part out. This is why many smaller parts have a little extra round bit of plastic attached to them, which you have to cut away: for an ejector pin to push against, rather than the part itself. Especially older kits often have ejectors pushing against larger parts themselves, and frequently in areas that will be visible after assembly.
Wow there Jakko!!
That is VERY interesting indeed,not seen this process type of thing explained before.... really informative!:cool:
I`ve always wondered how and why,the various moulding marks appear,in what is usually the most annoying places!!
Excellent insight....
Andy

Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Are they circular depressions and/or slightly raised areas? If so, these are ejector marks. They’re left by the pins that push the sprue from the mould after it’s been made, as you can see at the point this video starts:

(Watching the whole thing gives you a good idea of how model kit parts are made, BTW.)

Anyway, the marks are left on the part because the pins are usually not quite flush with the rest of the mould, but they’re needed to get the part out. This is why many smaller parts have a little extra round bit of plastic attached to them, which you have to cut away: for an ejector pin to push against, rather than the part itself. Especially older kits often have ejectors pushing against larger parts themselves, and frequently in areas that will be visible after assembly.
They the marks :thumb2: they're depressions, so a little filler applied.
I'm no expert - and tend to do a search for images on the internet to find out what they look like (then try to get an idea of colour from the shade of grey!) ;)
Well then Bud....,you`ve had a good bit of interaction on this particular subject eh?!!:thumb2:
And well deserved too in my opinion! ....As an asidei loved my kit so much at the time,that i bought THIS......
View attachment 417195
It`s quite well priced,and you get a LOT for your money-hence these pics show what`s left AFTER using what you need!! :cool:,
I do wish you well with this one..... if ever there`s been a kit to encourage people into the hobby........ then this one in particular fits the bill!!
Andy
Looks like a handy set to get, will look into them, thanks!

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Starting to go together, little bits of filler needed - almost had a disaster, and fitted the rear hooks the wrong way, luckily spotted before too long!
IMG_20210319_220037847.jpg
Working out where the boots will have scratched up the floor, and the rear suspension arms are a bit fiddly to get the seam marks off!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Do like using the Humbrol 'Metalcote' paints - after buffing with a cotton bud (Q-tip) they do come up well

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Gerry,

I too love the Krupp Protze kits and they do build up into a nice truck. Great job so far and it looks like you are having some fun too. That's what counts!!!

You may already know this, but if you turn the sprue over where the name Tamiya is molded (In the upper corner) you will find the date of the molding printed on the sprue.

Prost
Allen

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Morn Gerry,

I too love the Krupp Protze kits and they do build up into a nice truck. Great job so far and it looks like you are having some fun too. That's what counts!!!

You may already know this, but if you turn the sprue over where the name Tamiya is molded (In the upper corner) you will find the date of the molding printed on the sprue.

Prost
Allen
Hello Allen,
:thumb2: it's got 1978 - so a good few years old now.
Enjoying the build (at the moment anyway!) think that I might have to look for a finer tool for the filler, as I'm using the tip of my knife at the moment, and I can't get on with using a cocktail stick.
Gerry

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gerry,
lolly sticks, or coffee stirrers - the wooden sort - I always use for filler ( it can stick on your knife blade ), can be trimmed to any size/shape & are sturdy enough to press that filler down!
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
lolly sticks, or coffee stirrers - the wooden sort - I always use for filler ( it can stick on your knife blade ), can be trimmed to any size/shape & are sturdy enough to press that filler down!
Dave
Think that most of the lolly sticks here have been co-opted for the garden as seed markers :smiling2: I'll see if I can nick a few back!

• Wow

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Gerry...get used to cocktail sticks or rounded tooth pics as you'll be able to roll the putty in using your finger tips as well as poke in with the tip without crazing the plastic.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Off to a good start - nice and neat. That's an interesting video that Jakko flagged up. I had no idea how the process worked or how the marks got there. Humbrol paints are a bit out of favor but I also like them.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry...get used to cocktail sticks or rounded tooth pics as you'll be able to roll the putty in using your finger tips as well as poke in with the tip without crazing the plastic.

Cheers,
Richard
I'll give it a try on something that doesn't 'matter' and are how I get on :thumb2:
Hi Gerry
Off to a good start - nice and neat. That's an interesting video that Jakko flagged up. I had no idea how the process worked or how the marks got there. Humbrol paints are a bit out of favor but I also like them.
Jim
Thanks, I try to get it neat - and haven't yet tried my hand at airbrush, so it's all brush and magnifying visor.
I have watched extruding machines in action, but not really taken much notice.
Using Humbrol, as they're what I've always used, so know what I can do with them and still got a load, which I won't just dump - must admit also that they're really all I know, other than the old Airfix bottles.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I still love using Humbrol or Airfix paints to dry brush. Good thing Humbrol is still available. I treat the Airfix paint like gold. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Enjoying the build (at the moment anyway!) think that I might have to look for a finer tool for the filler, as I'm using the tip of my knife at the moment, and I can't get on with using a cocktail stick.
I prefer steel sculpting tools for applying putty, like these:

Carvers-Set_2__39892.1500973742.jpg

I usually use one that looks like the fourth from left, with the flat bent ends, for small amounts or areas and the right-most one, with the blade-like ends, for larger amounts or areas. (Though mine are of somewhat different shapes, the blades especially being a bit larger than in this photo.)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I prefer steel sculpting tools for applying putty, like these:

View attachment 417444

I usually use one that looks like the fourth from left, with the flat bent ends, for small amounts or areas and the right-most one, with the blade-like ends, for larger amounts or areas. (Though mine are of somewhat different shapes, the blades especially being a bit larger than in this photo.)
Look a bit like dental tools! :thinking:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ones like these are sold as both dental and sculpting tools. I’m not sure what the difference is, except (I hope) the dental ones are of higher quality, maybe?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ones like these are sold as both dental and sculpting tools. I’m not sure what the difference is, except (I hope) the dental ones are of higher quality, maybe?
Hopefully, dental ones are high quality stainless that can take repeated heating for sterilisation - but they don't get used for long, fairly sure that there's a time limit for them.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have those lying around somewhere but eventually comeback to the simple tooth pic as they're closer to the work surface I sculpt or fill on unless they make them smaller. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Aaannnnd made my life harder - fully assembled the front rear axle, then realised that it's going to be a right pig to detail paint the halfshafts! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well, it's getting there
IMG_20210321_204241241.jpg
IMG_20210321_204305629.jpg
IMG_20210321_204318020.jpg
IMG_20210321_204343912.jpg
Despite the fact that it seems that no matter how much I check for seam lines, first appearance of paint brings them out! At least they're out of sight at the moment - keep practicing for the bits that will be on view!

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Can't get my head round how the rear suspension should be fitted - as I've trial rested them in the photos, or hard up against the 'out-rigger' bits from the chassis - instruction sheet is really unclear on the exact positioning of them - if I go with how I've sat them, they look like they're waving about in the air, but if they are on the square on top of the hubs, they appear too high, but are against the chassis outriggers - anyone done one that can give me a pointer?
Edit Just looked on Scalemates, and a review showed exactly the same, so guess I can glue them in - just doesn't look 'right'

Last edited: