1/35 Krupp Protze

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would expect the suspension arms to be attached to the chassis, else the whole thing would sag all over the place.

Do these help?

-08%2C_Krupp_1%2C5-Tonner_%28%22Krupp-Protze%22%29.jpg
1730_r44_062.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Are they circular depressions and/or slightly raised areas? If so, these are ejector marks. They’re left by the pins that push the sprue from the mould after it’s been made, as you can see at the point this video starts:

(Watching the whole thing gives you a good idea of how model kit parts are made, BTW.)

Anyway, the marks are left on the part because the pins are usually not quite flush with the rest of the mould, but they’re needed to get the part out. This is why many smaller parts have a little extra round bit of plastic attached to them, which you have to cut away: for an ejector pin to push against, rather than the part itself. Especially older kits often have ejectors pushing against larger parts themselves, and frequently in areas that will be visible after assembly.
Jakko,

Fascinating thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do the front, rear and spare wheels line up, the way you have the rear suspension now? If so, you probably have them correct and Tamiya got the crossmember wrong; if the rear wheels are further out than the rest, there must be some way to get them further in.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Do the front, rear and spare wheels line up, the way you have the rear suspension now? If so, you probably have them correct and Tamiya got the crossmember wrong; if the rear wheels are further out than the rest, there must be some way to get them further in.
The rear wheels can't be further out, as the rear axles are a single piece molding (just the arms added) the height of the bed doesn't help, as it sits between the suspension anyway - I'm taking it that Tamiya have got the cross member wrong! ;)

• Sad

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wheels ready to be fitted - fairly happy with them, though after a good time filing them, still didn't produce the desired/correct profile for the rear tyres, still a little bit rounded, but without a lathe, didn't dare take them too far, otherwise I might have ended up with 'twenty pence' shaped wheels.
IMG_20210322_200327067.jpg
IMG_20210322_200416849.jpg
IMG_20210322_200441819.jpg
IMG_20210322_201029062~2.jpg

And it's on its wheels
IMG_20210322_203203340.jpg
IMG_20210322_203222490.jpg

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
All looking good mate.
Thanks Paul, now got probably the hardest bit to do, as it's all going to be on show! (and I keep remembering your Steyr - and I doubt I could come anywhere close to the load bed on that!!!!!)
Still, it's fun pushing myself to try and get to the standard of the modellers on here.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Wheels all sorted :thumb2: Onwards and upwards. Looking good.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
Wheels all sorted :thumb2: Onwards and upwards. Looking good.
Jim
Thanks Jim, not too unhappy with them - would've liked to have gotten the tyres 'right', but at least all 4 of the rear ones will stand on their own, so fairly close, but couldn't replicate the tread pattern - so hope a copper doesn't check the depth!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul, now got probably the hardest bit to do, as it's all going to be on show! (and I keep remembering your Steyr - and I doubt I could come anywhere close to the load bed on that!!!!!)
Still, it's fun pushing myself to try and get to the standard of the modellers on here.
If I can do it mate anyone can. Are you trying the hair spray technique?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Probably not - not sure that it's compatible with brush painting? ;) :thinking: (Cave-man here!)
I have not tried it with a brush but I guess the same principles apply. Try it on an old kit or a piece of plastic sheet I would apply the hairspray then leave over night to go really hard.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'm going to have to get some hairspray (as the wife doesn't use it) as I've a feeling that it'll come in handy for the dio that I've in mind, and if it's cheap and cheerful enough (and gives a firm hold) won't mind using loads!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Front end together, wasn't happy with the join - had big gaps, so got the filler out, just got to re-emphasise the bonnet/cab join (paint covered the initial attempt)
IMG_20210323_204937637.jpg
IMG_20210323_205026308.jpg
Wondered what the 'half circle' was at the top of the bonnet, almost filed it off, thinking that it was a mold mark, luckily I checked on the net, and found that it's supposed to be the bonnet hinge - almost an 'oops!' moment!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Spent today getting the bonnet right, doesn't look too bad now
IMG_20210324_212032379.jpg
Doing the load bed (happy with the way it's turned out, hopefully the 'dirt' in the corners will stay put!)
IMG_20210324_211851793.jpg
IMG_20210324_211907614.jpg
And getting some 'fiddly bits' done
IMG_20210324_211830757.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your doing well Gerry, all looking good, love the tools, handle colour looks perfect as does the metal and steel.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Your doing well Gerry, all looking good, love the tools, handle colour looks perfect as does the metal and steel.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Thanks John,
For the steel, I can thank Humbrol for doing their 'polished steel' Metalcote paint (I find it a godsend!). The handles are a mix of Khaki Drill & Sand (don't ask me to replicate it as it was a bit like baking, a little of this & a little of that!). The 'dirt' is an experiment - dried (used) coffee grounds and a pinch dropped into the corner onto some wet paint, then after a short while shook off, have to see how it works out.
I must admit that I'm enjoying this one, although some parts aren't going as I'd like them to, and was tempted to strip the paint off the shovels etc. to try and get the 'used' parts better - the axes I wanted to have the edges 'polished' fading back to dull steel, same with the shovels (but with these, the 'band' would hide it anyway!) - but not got a fine enough polisher to hand.