1/35 KV-2 BUNKER BUSTER BY TRUMPETER

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening, bench cleared of discarded rubbish and another build planned .

I've built several KV-2 's before, this time its the early version . They only built 20 , beset with problems from the start, ranging from a turret that could only turn when the tank was on the flat, it bogged down easily.
The tank was developed during the Finish war, Kiril Meretskov the commander of the 7th Army made forceful requests for a bunker-busting heavy tank. At first the design teams attempted to use a revived the T-100 hull and mounted a B-13 130 mm (5.12 in) naval gun, designating it the SU -100Y. This version was halted as there was a shortage of of barrels and naval semi-armor piercing rounds, at a time when the Soviet Navy was beginning a massive expansion in order to create a more powerful, ocean-going fleet. T

Zhozef Kotin’s team, at the Kirov Plant in Leningrad, developed two designs based on the already battle-proven KV chassis.which include increasing the length of the hull and attempt to mount a 152 mm (5.98 in) BR-2 and a 203 mm (8 in) B-4 howitzer on a lengthened KV hull, but this was never completed. However a third design which was chosen. Completed in two weeks, it had a 152 mm (5.98 in) howitzer with two DT machine guns mounted on an unmodified KV chassis.

The KV-2 had one of the most unique silhouettes of WWII. The hull was no different to that of a KV-1, but in order to fit the 152 mm (5.98 in) L20 howitzer, a box shaped, 12.9 tonne turret was mounted. This now made the vehicle stand 4.9 m (16 ft) tall, compared to the 3.9 m (12.8 ft) height of the KV-1. However, the high profile of the KV-2’s turret was compensated by its immense armor – 110 mm (4.33 in) frontal armor and 75 mm (2.95 in) side armor.
In October 1941, KV-2 production was halted as Soviet factories relocated and were moved eastwards to avoid German capture.

There are according to the 4B0 green site there are some incorrect details on the Trumpeter kits. The tracks represent the reinforced Omsh pattern single-link track with a guide tooth on every link. This type of track was introduced in July 1941 and persisted until the late summer of 1942. Tracks manufactured prior to July 1941 lacked the reinforced edges to the outer track spuds and had slightly shorter teeth. Trumpeter's tracks are therefore not entirely accurate for early variants such as the KV-1 s malenkiy bashniy, KV s bolshoiy bashniy, KV-1 Model 1939, early examples of the KV-1 Model 1940 or the KV-2 Model 1940. The difference in the length of the guide teeth is very difficult to discern. Well that's not going to bother me too much , the good thing about the kit tracks are that they have built in sag , so no need to buy the Fruil tracks I would normally use.
2020_15.jpg
As long as I take my time doing the sections they should look ok. I hope :anguished:

Some of you will remember I got this kit from China , just as the Covid kicked off, I remember spraying the parcel with isopol and leaving it outside for a couple of hrs before opening :rolling:, well I was taking no chances.

The box lid.
2020_5.jpg
I bought these at the same time.
2020_7.jpg
I'm determined to use as much as possible, as long as they improve from the kit.

Sprues, they look ok came out in 2011, reasonably clean , with a little flash
2020_12.jpg
The moulding is again ok.

2020_11.jpg

The sprues themselves.

2020_8.jpg
2020_10.jpg

2020_10.jpg
The thing I like is putting the tracks on before the upper hull and track guards. Ok some painting will be needed first.
2020_16.jpg

Easy to follow destruction book, why on earth all manufacturers insist on putting decals showing slogans, out of all the KV2 photos none have any ! Just something to add to the decak sheet apart from a Red Star, and some didn't even have that !

2020_13resized.jpg

A start has been made.

Hull sides need a couple of holes opening, why ? when the rest were done.

2020_17.jpg2020_18.jpg

Had to clean the mould points , some had flash on, just enough to produce a bad glue line. When done she looked like this.

2020_19.jpg

Hope you will follow, seats available from MRS Jones Ticket Agency.
Drinks served by Allen Dewire, J Race appears by permission of Mrs Race Management .

Attachments

• 2020_9.jpg
    2020_9.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Good evening Sir! Looking forward to seeing another Russian beautie rise from the Race bench. I hope all goes well with the bling. Good luck my friend

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’ll be watching from the cheap seats john ( i didnt pay , i snuck in through the fire exit like we used to do at the Rex cinema !)
Even though I dont usually do tanky stuff theres something about Russian tanks and especially these KV2s that appeals to my soviet soft spot . Onwards comrade !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
A comfy seat please near the front - my eyes ain't what they were. I hope Mr Dewire isn't still serving that iffy Continental beer.
Looks a nice kit, right up your street. Thanks for the interesting intro. The Winter War is a fascinating subjest. The tank looks so top heavy - you'd need an awfully big hedge to hide behind :rolling: Good to see the sprues all neatly labelled.
Jim

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Crikey John, your a machine mate,
I'm still messing around with a Tamiya Churchill, and you've managed to finish one dio and are moving on to the next...

I'd better pull my finger out..(got to self isolate next week as the wife has a surgery planned...so maybe I'll get chance to crack on with the Churchill a bit)..

looking good so far though mate.. and the added bonus of lashings of 4BO...(Very nice indeed)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Dude 2,

It's ok, I nabbed Tony as he was trying to nick a beer out of the fridge!!! I guess Stevie was asleep at the switch again. Oh and Jimbo, today's special is Rauch Beer (Smoked Beer) from a brewery here in Bamberg. It tastes like you are drinking smoked ham out of a glass. You'll love it!!!

Like Chris said, You are becoming a machine buddy...Too many walks early in the morning??? Drive on Dzhon.....PM later.

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall answer these replies later gang. Thank you they certainly had me smiling.:smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh and Jimbo, today's special is Rauch Beer (Smoked Beer) from a brewery here in Bamberg.
Unfortunately much of our beer is wet, warm and weak :sad: We do have many small independant breweries, many of which do produce some very drinkable stuff. Looking forward to this brew :thumb2: Mr Race will presumably be setting fire to stuff so a nice glass of beer will cool us down perfectly. If all else fails we can chuck it on the flames!!!
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this one John. My favourite Russki tank is this! Looks like it might be taking a diversion down beer lane as well.....not sure liquid smoked ham would be to my taste though!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've built several KV-2 's before, this time its the early version .
I built that when it was new, and was quite impressed with it. One of Trumpeters better efforts, I think, from before they started slipping in quality a bit. I don’t remember any particular or unusual problems with it.

why on earth all manufacturers insist on putting decals showing slogans, out of all the KV2 photos none have any !
Because everyone knows Russian tanks had slogans on them! And what everyone knows is correct, isn’t it?

Hull sides need a couple of holes opening, why ? when the rest were done.
Trumpeter put out a lot of versions of the KV. I only built this one, but I expect different versions to require different holes being made by the builder.

Good going so far with the build :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening Sir! Looking forward to seeing another Russian beautie rise from the Race bench. I hope all goes well with the bling. Good luck my friend
Thank you Steve, oh the bling that will be a hit and miss affair. Only going to use the bits that are really worth it.

Evening comrade Race,
Looks like I got in early and I have a seat up front with comrade Jones :nerd:

Whats not to like about a KV-2......onwards and upward comrade.
Your always welcome Si, don't let Comrade Jones mention 3/2 or any other combination of camo.:smiling3:

What, more 4BO? Looks like an interesting model John so I will contact Mrs Race Management for a ticket.

Andy.
Andy,:smiling3:
no problem, front seat next to Comrades Si and Steve.

I’ll be watching from the cheap seats john ( i didnt pay , i snuck in through the fire exit like we used to do at the Rex cinema !)
Even though I dont usually do tanky stuff theres something about Russian tanks and especially these KV2s that appeals to my soviet soft spot . Onwards comrade !
Your welcome Tony, I dare say security ak Allen Dewire will have seen you.

Joining the party John!

ATB.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, your very welcome.

Hi John
A comfy seat please near the front - my eyes ain't what they were. I hope Mr Dewire isn't still serving that iffy Continental beer.
Looks a nice kit, right up your street. Thanks for the interesting intro. The Winter War is a fascinating subjest. The tank looks so top heavy - you'd need an awfully big hedge to hide behind :rolling: Good to see the sprues all neatly labelled.
Jim
Thanks Jim the history on this like most tanks is interesting, I like to put a little in. Not the greatest tank for maneuverability, could only turn the turret on the flat, but nothing could withstand the fire power.Seat has been reserved for you next to Si. He might bring some cakes.:smiling3:

Crikey John, your a machine mate,
I'm still messing around with a Tamiya Churchill, and you've managed to finish one dio and are moving on to the next...

I'd better pull my finger out..(got to self isolate next week as the wife has a surgery planned...so maybe I'll get chance to crack on with the Churchill a bit)..

looking good so far though mate.. and the added bonus of lashings of 4BO...(Very nice indeed)

Chris to be fair to the guys like you who work with little time I'm in the position to be able to spend as much time as I like. When I was at work I couldn't afford any time .

Morn Dude 2,

It's ok, I nabbed Tony as he was trying to nick a beer out of the fridge!!! I guess Stevie was asleep at the switch again. Oh and Jimbo, today's special is Rauch Beer (Smoked Beer) from a brewery here in Bamberg. It tastes like you are drinking smoked ham out of a glass. You'll love it!!!

Like Chris said, You are becoming a machine buddy...Too many walks early in the morning??? Drive on Dzhon.....PM later.

Prost
Allen

Keep everyone in order Dude 1, WATCH OUT especially for Bob, we could have trouble from him, he's already insulted the tank :smiling3: and it's only the first page

What a ugly thing, not you of course;)

Count me in sir, by the way we still wipe down parcels!

Bob I shall ignore the first part of your post :smiling3: , glad you redeemed yourself there.
Yes not a bad idea, we tend to forget easily.

Unfortunately much of our beer is wet, warm and weak :sad: We do have many small independant breweries, many of which do produce some very drinkable stuff. Looking forward to this brew :thumb2: Mr Race will presumably be setting fire to stuff so a nice glass of beer will cool us down perfectly. If all else fails we can chuck it on the flames!!!
Jim
I should like to point out, , change that, what a good idea Jim, its given me an idea !:smiling:

Looking forward to this one John. My favourite Russki tank is this! Looks like it might be taking a diversion down beer lane as well.....not sure liquid smoked ham would be to my taste though!
It does have something about it Tim, I've always liked them.

A "Big Tyrret" eh - watching!
Pete

Welcome Pete. Grab a seat.

John,
I'm in mate and looking forward to another great build.

Hi Paul will try to make it good.

4BO green on the way.
Joe good to see you, most welcome.

Don't need no stinking hedge. KVs were the baddest bear around & the "Big Tyrret" was feared as it was pretty much impervious to German tank & anti-tank weapons except for lucky long 75s & awesome 88s. PaulE
Spot on Paul, support from the colonies is always welcome.

Looks a big, ungainly & generally awkward tank! I'm in John.
Hi Graeme , it sure was, make yourself comfortable.

I built that when it was new, and was quite impressed with it. One of Trumpeters better efforts, I think, from before they started slipping in quality a bit. I don’t remember any particular or unusual problems with it.

Because everyone knows Russian tanks had slogans on them! And what everyone knows is correct, isn’t it?

Trumpeter put out a lot of versions of the KV. I only built this one, but I expect different versions to require different holes being made by the builder.

Good going so far with the build :smiling3:
Thanks, its the 3rd one i've built, the other 2 were the later models, one was TRUMPETER and the other ZEVDZA. Still have another Trumpeter the next version to build after this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly a lot of interest so thank you.

This afternoon spend adding the upper decks, front and suspension stops to the hull.

2020_3.jpg
Can see a hole on that axle stub, none anywhere else, and you can only place it correctly.

2020_2.jpg

No engine with this one, sorry really as I like to do the wiring, Si made a great job on his T34. There was an engine on the ZEVZDA version I did some years ago. This is the earlier version that Zevzda don't produce.

Then came the first set of pe, things went down hill for a bit from here on until I realised that have of it was covered up.

2020_4.jpg

The upper part of the PE which was a solid section had some very thin supports on, no way could I glue them on. Tried the part in place and saw the the top cover hid all the work ! At this point I realised that the mesh underside was the only part to be seen, so a drop of ca and it was hidden. The rest of the mesh pe goes on the deck, some very small supports in the kit, they may not make it ! Much bending !

That's it, so thanks for looking in, comments welcome.

Dzhon .