Great bit of damage on the fenders John....nice work all round :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dzhon

Coming on nicely!! Can't help with the spare bits though.

ATB.

Andrew

Ps I really do like that green colour!
Thanks Andrew.
They look like conical bolts for holding on armoured plate John. Have a good look at references and see if any are missing?
Nice job on the build so far, by the way.
Hi Tim, thanks for that, looking quickly at the photo there seem to be some very large bolt heads on the turrett. But as I said no mention of them on the instructions, I'll have a look tomorrow on the model and see.

I`d missed this until a while ago John!!:dizzy:
I COMPLETELY agree about losing bits to the so called"Carpet Monster"!!...... Many a time i`ve done just that,only to watch it fall into a certain spot..... "I`ll pick that up later",methinks,but NO!!...... When i decide to regather said piece...... IT`S GONE ?!!!:flushed::thinking:
.... and NEVER to be seen again......
...... until you`ve dropped a bit of your next build,and whilst looking...... you suddenly find THAT,old,elusive bit which is of no practical use anymore!!:loudly-crying:
......................... ANYHOW MATE,enough of that.....
Your build here is looking superb Sir,i love it:thumb2:shall not be so shabby in my looking in as this progresses:thumb2:,
Love to Christine,from myself,and of course,Rach:hungry:,
Andy
Thanks Andy, message passed on to Christine, who said " thank you " and sends her love back.
I'm quite expecting to find the nozzle in about 6 months time and promptly discard it as a lump of PE !

Apparently they are bolt heads used for optional added armour plates sometimes fitted to the forward hull sides above the fenders but I cant find any reference for this??
Hi Steve, thanks for that. I'm intrigued now as what they actually are. Must look in a minute on the Australian site to see if he has built it, failing that maybe a email to Trumpeter.

Looking good John, the bent track guards seem to be a feature of Russian tanks!
Certainly are when I built them Graeme :smiling2: Reading about the KV-2 it was a beast to steer so would expect the odd tree , building etc to be clipped
Like the look Mr Race, but thats one ugly beast lol
Evening Bob, I agree, you wouldn't want to meet this on the road.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just looked at PMMS and read this .
The large bolt heads either side of the mantlet are on separate parts that fit from the inside and result in excellent definition on the bolts as with the first KV-2 kit.

Fit from the inside ? Can't see the point of trying to do this can anyone else ?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice job on the front mudgaurds......really look the part. :thumb2: Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
This is a crop out of someone else’s build, obviously for illustration only, but I think this is them......
14B5D283-3322-47AC-B400-416E5C8CF72D.jpeg
They look like the eight bolts either side of the gun mantlet. Not sure your version has that mantlet though, so they may be an artefact from another kit version. I think PMMS means they are inserted from behind the mantlet part, not from the inside of the tank....being conical that would give the definition around the part.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Found these parts, they are not marked as not required but can't find any reference for them on the instructions , any idea ? .
What’s the part number? I looked at the kit’s instructions on Scalemates and can’t find a part of the sprue there that looks like yours does. There are eight bolts next to the hull top on sprue A (those are bolts for the engine deck) but they’re on the edge of the sprue, which yours clearly aren’t.

Could be that Tim is correct, though the instructions for Trumpeter’s KV-2 don’t show any bolts having to be fitted to the mantlet.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great bit of damage on the fenders John....nice work all round :thumb2:
Thanks Si, bit of a had to be truth, those front idler's were too high for some reason.:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
This is a crop out of someone else’s build, obviously for illustration only, but I think this is them......
View attachment 420164
They look like the eight bolts either side of the gun mantlet. Not sure your version has that mantlet though, so they may be an artefact from another kit version. I think PMMS means they are inserted from behind the mantlet part, not from the inside of the tank....being conical that would give the definition around the part.
Tim thanks, see what you mean . I think these then are for the later KV2 then .
What’s the part number? I looked at the kit’s instructions on Scalemates and can’t find a part of the sprue there that looks like yours does. There are eight bolts next to the hull top on sprue A (those are bolts for the engine deck) but they’re on the edge of the sprue, which yours clearly aren’t.

Could be that Tim is correct, though the instructions for Trumpeter’s KV-2 don’t show any bolts having to be fitted to the mantlet.
Sprue H , I think with out looking.

Hi John
The beast is looking very nice. As for the spare bolt thingys - feed them to the carpet monster, you don't need 'em :tongue-out3:
Jim
Well that's one idea I suppose Jim ! :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Spent some time today cutting out some foam board for the Bunker.
Having read Paul's (Scottie ) thread where he mentions building bases to a certain size, I agree some of mine in the past have been far to big, resulting trouble fitting then in the shelving.
This time is a lot smaller, and do is the building !

The reason for changing the title ( thanks Allan ) was because there is no street for one and no real Aber pe being used. As good as it may be I just can't manage some of it .
The Bunker comes from the fact that during the late 1930,s the Finnins had an idea there would be a likely hood of a war with Russia, so they sensibly embarked on a massive Bunker building campaign.
Many of these bunkers were massive, containing several floors under ground for supplies , amunition, and accommodation. Others were a more simple affair, but all with the same purpose to hamper the attacking Russians.
With some of these well constructed bunkers with exceptionally thick concrete walls the Russian forces were unable to gain a foothold . The Russian command called for a special purpose tank with massive fire power give designed and built asap. Hence the arrival of the KV-2. There were only according to some records approx 23 of the early KV-2 ever built, the later model was 210.
Photos tomorrow .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening, a few photos for appraisal.

2020_2.jpg

Gun slot .

2020.jpg

Inside, as being glued.

2020_3.jpg

Pre test.

2020_6.jpg2020_8.jpg
This was yesterday.

This afternoon I sat in the sun and applied the Sculpymould to the base, then the rebar to the damaged part. Please when I checked rebar sizes for heavy construction the size .4 wire was right for 18mm thickness.

2020_7.jpg
This was when I started.

. later it looked like this.2020_2_2BN.jpg

Sanding down will start when this first coat ids fully dry.

You might just be able to make out some track marks, took a spare set of track, measured out the distance and glued some sprue to the track to keep the distance

Also fitted the tow cables2020.jpg

2020_3.jpg

Found it difficult to attach the copper to the plastic, not holes, so on the side sections I undercut the section up to the eyelet, then glued and wrapped some Tamiya tape around.
The other end on the the shackles was but jointed , can't see a easier way ?

Comments welcome and thanks for looking in.

Dzhon.

Attachments

• 2020_4.jpg
    2020_4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 12
  • 2020_2_2BN.jpg
    2020_2_2BN.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 12

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, nice looking bunker, the rebar looks good. For the cable ends I use wine bottle foil on mine and then CA them in place after forming a little taper in the ends to simulate the swadged end fitting. HTH.
Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr R,
Good to see you could pull yourself away from the garden long enough to get some mogelling done! :smiling5:

Nice that the builders have been in and knocked up a bunker complete with battle damage.....and a top job they did too :thumb2:
I can really see where this one is going now....nice work so far sir :smiling4:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good eye Gerry! It looks that way to me also.......I would like to be a fly on the wall at the Rooski cable factory when the "Boss" asked Ivan how he managed to do that neat little trick! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out: Rick H.

• Haha