JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John......
Thanks Tim.

John,
Lovely work on the emplacement the re bar looks spot on.
Cheers Paul .
JR, nice looking bunker, the rebar looks good. For the cable ends I use wine bottle foil on mine and then CA them in place after forming a little taper in the ends to simulate the swadged end fitting. HTH.
Rick H.
Wished I'd known that Rick .

John, is it me, or is the cable twisted the wrong way? :surprised: Apologies if I'm wrong.
View attachment 420412
Gerry , damn I never noticed that , well spotted . How I assume I have to change it, luckily I can use Rick's method !
Evening Mr R,
Good to see you could pull yourself away from the garden long enough to get some mogelling done! :smiling5:

Nice that the builders have been in and knocked up a bunker complete with battle damage.....and a top job they did too :thumb2:
I can really see where this one is going now....nice work so far sir :smiling4:
Hi Si, thanks for looking in. Yes the garden is certainly keeping us busy. Will email you.
Good eye Gerry! It looks that way to me also.......I would like to be a fly on the wall at the Rooski cable factory when the "Boss" asked Ivan how he managed to do that neat little trick! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out: Rick H.
Yes clever trick that, the inverted reverse coil method,bit like me and electrical cables Rick .
Some great work going on there John.

Andy.
Thanks Andy .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry , damn I never noticed that , well spotted . How I assume I have to change it, luckily I can use Rick's method !
John, must admit that I'm still not sure that it is 'wrong' - if it's wrapped round the eye and swaged, wouldn't the 'returning' end give the same effect? Just looked 'strange' when I looked at it and it took me a couple of minutes to realise what was 'tickling' at the back of my mind.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, must admit that I'm still not sure that it is 'wrong' - if it's wrapped round the eye and swaged, wouldn't the 'returning' end give the same effect? Just looked 'strange' when I looked at it and it took me a couple of minutes to realise what was 'tickling' at the back of my mind.
Gerry your right , I've done rope splicing including metal tow ropes ! evil things and should have noticed it..

1618936258555.png

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks for clearing that up John, wasn't entirely sure.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Carry on JR....with "Hawkeye" Gerry keeping you on the straight and narrow, you can't put a foot wrong.
Rick H.:thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great work John coming along nicely ,as for the cable leave as is blimey who's going to notice that i didn't, good job its not mine else Gerry would have got my favorite reply at work..... do you want me to go out to the van.....usually met with a blank look.....to get my face of concern. :tongue-out3: :smiling5: :hungry: :smiling5::hungry: please don't take offence Gerry its all tounge in cheek. Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Great start on the bunker. You're really in your element with foam board buildings.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Carry on JR....with "Hawkeye" Gerry keeping you on the straight and narrow, you can't put a foot wrong.
Rick H.:thumb2:
Rick your right, I think Gerry might be related to you know know who, she with the needle :surprised:

Wouldn't say "Hawkeye" - more like "Klinger" (but without the dresses!) :tongue-out3:
:smiling2::smiling::smiling2::smiling3:

Great work John coming along nicely ,as for the cable leave as is blimey who's going to notice that i didn't, good job its not mine else Gerry would have got my favorite reply at work..... do you want me to go out to the van.....usually met with a blank look.....to get my face of concern. :tongue-out3: :smiling5: :hungry: :smiling5::hungry: please don't take offence Gerry its all tounge in cheek. Dave
Dave thank you :smiling2: I don't mind, I'd rather have it right. At least it proves Gerry is reading and looking.

Hi John
Great start on the bunker. You're really in your element with foam board buildings.
Jim
Thanks Jim, could work in this stuff all day. This time as I'm not pealing the face I've used the cheaper version, keeping the Kappa Line for surfaces.
Going to stick some angled cuts into that opening, more in keeping with the real thing.

Appreciate the comments .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
No offence taken - in fact, I was expecting a short, sharp reply from John ;) and as I said, wasn't sure myself that it was 'wrong', just looked 'strange'.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No offence taken - in fact, I was expecting a short, sharp reply from John ;) and as I said, wasn't sure myself that it was 'wrong', just looked 'strange'.
No worries Gerry , that was a fair point to make, not just a snide remark made to point score. If I'd have got it all built and painted, weathered etc and then it was mentioned I would have said why didn't you say it at the begining !:smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just a thought, are you by any chance left handed? Just that the way you twisted the wire, is the same as how my father used to twist wires (anti-clockwise).

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just a thought, are you by any chance left handed? Just that the way you twisted the wire, is the same as how my father used to twist wires (anti-clockwise).
Gerry. Yes, I am , always have trouble with cables, I want to to go the opposite way to the way they are made. Just ask Christine about me and the lawn mower cable !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Mr R,
Good to see you could pull yourself away from the garden long enough to get some mogelling done! :smiling5:

Nice that the builders have been in and knocked up a bunker complete with battle damage.....and a top job they did too :thumb2:
I can really see where this one is going now....nice work so far sir :smiling4:
Si can you email me please, don't seem to be able to contact you.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening from Race Towers, of course with this fine weather where else did you expect me to be.

I've spent the last two afternoons sitting in the warm sun at the garden table with this little chap feeding away on mealworms. He and his female companion are getting tamer by the day. Unfortunately the Starlings have noticed the meal worms are trying to barge in, they won't come if I'm there, so the Black birds can eat as much as they like. The female is shown in the first photo, she's broken her right leg at some point but still flies but has a hard time on the ground.
2020_2.jpg
2020.jpg

On with the modelling .

2020_3.jpg

Did a thin wash of a dark brown mixed with the green, once dry I added another lighter brown.

Once dry I sprayed a coat of AK 3RD GEN mixed varnish, glass and mat, as I haven't any semi . again when this was dry, a mixture of Vallejo white and some water washable white, mixed with a little thinners and water to give a very weak mix .
This was brushed on, then a dry brush used to remove a lot of it, wiping on kitchen roll as I went.

2020_6.jpg

2020_5.jpg

The bunker has had some more layers added to the roof to build up the curve, and the hole in the left hand side enlarged to allow the troops entry.

2020_4.jpg
I also added to the side of the gun slit, with angled formboard, then filled with a fine filler .

Progress is being made, need to put some rebar in the new breakthrough hole as well.

Comments welcome, esp on the winter wash, as its a lot thinner than I would normally do and a different paint.

Thanks for looking in.

Dzhon.