1/35 KV1

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi ,
having completed the snow diorama I was keen to do some more of the like. This time no buildings or any fire ! Yes I know a sad thing but good things all come to an end.

I had first picked this .

Oh nice looking thing, until I peered inside.
Two bags of tracks, ok I thought I'll have a go , at this point I thought I'd seen some shells, but where would they go.
Oh no when I realised what they were .
:flushed::angry::crying::thinking:
Not shells , but track pins ! 328713

At which point the lid went back on and the box was welded shut ! Its now back on the top shelf until I feel in the mood .

having a look around I spied this .

The KV1
The Kliment Voroshilov (KV) tanks were a series of tanks named after the Soviet defence commissar and politician Kliment Voroshilov and used by the red army during ww2 . The KV series were known for their heavy armour protection during the early stages of the war, especially during the first year of the German attacks of the Russia In certain situations, even a single KV-1 or KV-2 supported by infantry was capable of halting large German formations. German tanks at that time were rarely used in KV encounters as their armament was too poor to deal with the "Russischer Koloss" – "Russian Colossus".

The KV tanks were practically immune to the 3.7 and howitzer-like, short barreled 7.5 guns mounted, respectively, on the early Panser 3 and 4 tanks fielded by the German forces. Until more effective guns were developed by the Germans, the KV-1 was invulnerable to almost any German weapon except the 8.8 flack gun.

Prior to Operation Barbarossa, about 500 of the over 22,000 tanks then in Soviet service were of the KV-1 type. As the war progressed, it became evident that there was little sense in producing the expensive KV tanks, as the T34 performed better (or at least equally well) in all practical respects. In fact the only advantage it had over the T-34/76 was its larger and roomier three-man turret. Later in the war, the KV series became a base for the development of the IS series of tanks and self-propelled guns.
Thanks to Wikipedia for this information.

Tracks the size I can see, even the thought of the Friuls tracks is not daunting.! :thinking::cool:
Yesterday the bench was like this .328715328716

Hull under way.
This morning saw .
All going well .

Nice and tidy !

Engine. might have the cover up.

Yes you can all see the Squadron putty in the top left wheel. Now I was wearing the catch all, but this escape was by the airborne hurling method, I heard it ping. Having had a search for some time, mainly crawling around the floor, much to the amusement of Management who even joined in. Now convinced it will be some where in the cave only to be found with in a day on sanding the replacement cover .

Hope you will join, no hats or coats needed at this stage, Steve is on the bar as usual. Tickets through normal channels , no Euros please. Last time someone attempted to pass a Patagonian coin .

John.

Attachments

• IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 2

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I brought cake this time as the biscuits have been eaten mislaid. I understand its happy hour at the bar at the moment. All drinks free to those who pull up a chair and join in. I'll send you the tab later mate:cool:

First off I am disappointed that you were unable to join me in a Hobby Boss double act. You would certainly be crawling around a lot more with those tracks:flushed:

However the second choice is a winner mate. Nice to see you are off to a flying start. Just try to keep the flying parts down to a minimum please. Are you going to let is in on your plans for the build like figures and bases??

Well I wish you all the best mate and I will sit quietishly (Spellcheck didnt like that one :smiling:) and watch and learn. Take it away maestro

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi John

Love the snowy one, and I really thought I was looking at an SCW starting up.

Sorry to hear about the tracks, I am bored with my recuperation, post them up and I'll make them, if you feel inclined?

Love the KV, it makes me feel guilty about not getting my T34 blogged yet

Enjoy the Fruil, they are super to make, sometimes using pins is better than wire and keeps them flexible.

pins in Fruil

Looking forward to this one developing

Regards

Steve H

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
those T-26 tracks gave me a shiver down my spine! I think that any of the T-26 variants are to be avoided............................
Nice to see the Soviet thread continuing.
:smiling3: Fruil tracks? Distinctly upmarket, bet they cost more than the model!
I'll keep an eye out for troublemakers in the front row - they know who I am talking about.........................
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I brought cake this time as the biscuits have been eaten mislaid. I understand its happy hour at the bar at the moment. All drinks free to those who pull up a chair and join in. I'll send you the tab later mate:cool:

First off I am disappointed that you were unable to join me in a Hobby Boss double act. You would certainly be crawling around a lot more with those tracks:flushed:

However the second choice is a winner mate. Nice to see you are off to a flying start. Just try to keep the flying parts down to a minimum please. Are you going to let is in on your plans for the build like figures and bases??

Well I wish you all the best mate and I will sit quietishly (Spellcheck didnt like that one :smiling:) and watch and learn. Take it away maestro
Well I don't know if to put the KV on a winter road, with a German knocked out after having slipped down a bank and gone through the ice . Don't want to be much bigger than the last one base size. There could be Germans getting out and surrendering to the Russian . That Alan Panzser 1 Ausf was a though, it would be nearly all in the water / ice , so if the tracks were to be problematic I could sink it ! Would the two be in the right time frame, Don't want to have a riot about what year breaking out do we ..
Hi john,
Chair pulled up mate count me in on this one.
Always a chair for you Paul :thumb2:.
Hi John
Never realised that KV was after a person. Free drink and biscuits - I'm in.
Jim
Hi Jim, that's two of at least, Steve says someone nicked the biscuits, sorry .
Hi John

Love the snowy one, and I really thought I was looking at an SCW starting up.

Sorry to hear about the tracks, I am bored with my recuperation, post them up and I'll make them, if you feel inclined?

Love the KV, it makes me feel guilty about not getting my T34 blogged yet

Enjoy the Fruil, they are super to make, sometimes using pins is better than wire and keeps them flexible.

pins in Fruil

Looking forward to this one developing

Regards

Steve H
Steve , thank you for the offer on the tracks, but I must not cheat ! What does SCW mean ? Sorry if I sound out of touch with modern shortened words :confused:. Yes when you are recovered the T34"will be a must..
John,
those T-26 tracks gave me a shiver down my spine! I think that any of the T-26 variants are to be avoided............................
Nice to see the Soviet thread continuing.
:smiling3: Fruil tracks? Distinctly upmarket, bet they cost more than the model!
I'll keep an eye out for troublemakers in the front row - they know who I am talking about.........................
Dave
Hi Dave, it will sit on the shelf , and gather dust . Oh the Fruil tracks, Alan and Fernando went to a show in Holland and got me several sets, at way below prices here in the UK . Yes please do, just throw them out !
John .

Whats the idea sound like that I mentioned to Steve, personally I quite like the idea of having two tanks , would make a change from the normal one .

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
So it's historical accuracy for the Panzer I Ausf F to be in the same place as the KV1 you want mate. Okay then. Here we go:smiling5:

The Panzer I Ausf F saw action on the Eastern front with 1. Panzer division and 12. Panzer division in 1943. (Does your kit have these decal options in it mate??)

The 12. Panzer division was transferred to Army Group Centre in November 1942. It was during this period, before entering action again in March 1943, that they were shipped a batch of the new Panzer I F infantry tanks. From March to August 1943 the 12. Panzer division took part in operations in and around Orel, Bryansk, Gomel, and Zhlobin. In the Summer of 1943, they took part in the German offensive against the Kursk salient, and in the autumn of 1943 in defensive operations along the Dnieper River. During July they reported having seven Panzer I F tanks.

The 1. Panzer division fought in the Rzhev area of the Eastern Front until the end 1942, before being withdrawn to France for refitting in January to February 1943. It was during this time they got their batch of eight Panzer I F infantry tanks. In June 1943 the division was deployed to the Balkans region, then to Greece for coastal defence duties. The division remained in Greece until October, before returning to the Eastern front in November 1943. They then participated in the defence of the Ukraine. They fought in the desperate battles for the defence against the Soviet advance west of Kiev.

Your KV 1 decal options are
  1. Tank KV-1 " Ruthless " constructed on personal money of the Soviet workers of arts winners of the Stalin premium. A Guards tank brigade of colonel M.Skuby. The western front, autumn 1942
  2. Tank KV-1 “Suvorov" from structure 260 separate tank regiment. The Leningrad front, Karelian, Isthmus, June, 1944
  3. Tank KV-1 " Fighter "The Kalininsky front winter 1942.
Until I know what the decal options for the Ausf F is I cant give an exact judgement to them being in the same vicinity.

The bottom line is mate no one is going to know and its only nerds like me who really want to know the exact answer. At the end of the day sometime during 1943 and 1944 I have no doubt a KV1 passed by a knocked out Panzer Ausf F at some point in time, some where on the Eastern front so you are good to go my friend.:thumb2::cool:

Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So it's historical accuracy for the Panzer I Ausf F to be in the same place as the KV1 you want mate. Okay then. Here we go:smiling5:

The Panzer I Ausf F saw action on the Eastern front with 1. Panzer division and 12. Panzer division in 1943. (Does your kit have these decal options in it mate??)

The 12. Panzer division was transferred to Army Group Centre in November 1942. It was during this period, before entering action again in March 1943, that they were shipped a batch of the new Panzer I F infantry tanks. From March to August 1943 the 12. Panzer division took part in operations in and around Orel, Bryansk, Gomel, and Zhlobin. In the Summer of 1943, they took part in the German offensive against the Kursk salient, and in the autumn of 1943 in defensive operations along the Dnieper River. During July they reported having seven Panzer I F tanks.

The 1. Panzer division fought in the Rzhev area of the Eastern Front until the end 1942, before being withdrawn to France for refitting in January to February 1943. It was during this time they got their batch of eight Panzer I F infantry tanks. In June 1943 the division was deployed to the Balkans region, then to Greece for coastal defence duties. The division remained in Greece until October, before returning to the Eastern front in November 1943. They then participated in the defence of the Ukraine. They fought in the desperate battles for the defence against the Soviet advance west of Kiev.

1. Tank KV-1 " Ruthless " constructed on personal money of the Soviet workers of arts winners of the Stalin premium. A Guards tank brigade of colonel M.Skuby. The western front, autumn 1942
  2. Tank KV-1 “Suvorov" from structure 260 separate tank regiment. The Leningrad front, Karelian, Isthmus, June, 1944
Until I know what the decal options for the Ausf F is I cant give an exact judgement to them being in the same vicinity.

The bottom line is mate no one is going to know and its only nerds like me who really want to know the exact answer. At the end of the day sometime during 1943 and 1944 I have no doubt a KV1 passed by a knocked out Panzer Ausf F at some point in time, some where on the Eastern front so you are good to go my friend.:thumb2::cool:

Steve
Right , well we need it in the winter, so Kursk is out, as is

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Dnieper River was winter of 1943. That might be a good bet.
Once I have your decal options on the Ausf F I can compare those with the three options on the KV 1.
As I say this is getting deep now and it really is just for fun. I dont want it to distract you away from your creative idea of having them both together mate:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve, this is the two lots of information on the two kits.
[/QUOTE] so Kursk is out, no snow but if one of the German ones matches that would be even better.
I know not everyone bothers, but I would like it to be feasible.
John 328847328848

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dnieper River was winter of 1943. That might be a good bet.
Once I have your decal options on the Ausf F I can compare those with the three options on the KV 1.
As I say this is getting deep now and it really is just for fun. I dont want it to distract you away from your creative idea of having them both together mate:thumb2:
Hi mate just had to use the phone for the info you wanted, thanks for the help , much appreciated .
John .

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Leave it with me then sir.

In the meantime here is a picture of the crew of the KV-1 “Ruthless”, Top mark (stars)- destroyed tanks, intermediate (circles), self - propelled guns and assault guns, lower other enemy armoured vehicles.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Plenty to do while my Consultant ( see above , )
above looks into the possibility of this being correct.
We all know it's not the end of the world if it's not right, but It would be better if it was .

Today saw some good progress, and some glaring errors. One was the connection ring under the turret, of course muggins here put the whole ring inside out !!! There were a few choice words muttered, but another application of TET soon removed the piece . Once turned over it was re glued . Of course I didn't see all this until I'd got the top of the turret on, and that too had to come off once inside the errors were easily reworked . At this point I noticed the outter ring to the turret for the hatch and m/g mounting was also inside out . All redone , with out too much mayhem.
Will need a bit of filler on the joins, but not to worry as the tank will be pretty much covered in snow and camo .

All wheels are on, no need to paint any of them off , again the snow will cover much of the detail.
When I have the whole thing looking half decent I will dare to show a photo .:cold-sweat::smiling3:.
Thanks if anyone looks in .
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Does he really need to choose any of these? Just two or three random numbers on the KV’s turret and no other markings make it a completely generic vehicle, at which point the only question is: could a KV-1 of this type be reasonably expected to end up near a Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. F?

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Only in the sense Jakko if JR wanted to go with the decal offerings.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great to see the Soviet tank saga continuing John, being a bit late so second row is fine for me.:smiling4:

Just a thought regarding the markings, does the Panzer 1 have any generic numbers and a unit badge to put it in the area of the KV-1, maybe keep the KV as is and modify the Pz markings to fit the period?:rolling:

Whatever the outcome of the markings, looking forward to see another miniature marvel taking form.:thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Well I see the rabble have beaten me to the good seats! They look rowdy....throw them a handful of nuts and they’ll settle down:upside:

KV tanks gonna be fun.....a big chunky beast! Look forward to seeing this:nerd: