1/35 KV1

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yeah...what happened to Smiffy? As for the pen, do wear protective glasses. The fibres can fly in all directions with hard rubbing. They are like thin glass filaments and will need surgery to remove.

I have one but didn't know it could be used for removing glue stains. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yeah...what happened to Smiffy? As for the pen, do wear protective glasses. The fibres can fly in all directions with hard rubbing. They are like thin glass filaments and will need surgery to remove.

I have one but didn't know it could be used for removing glue stains. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
As you know I've had enough surgery on my eyes to to last me , so the mere thought of using that pen is a no no.:anguished:
I've Andy's phone no, so I could text him, don't ring him during the week as he could be anywhere in Devon working.
John.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Well I don't know if to put the KV on a winter road, with a German knocked out after having slipped down a bank and gone through the ice . Don't want to be much bigger than the last one base size. There could be Germans getting out and surrendering to the Russian . That Alan Panzser 1 Ausf was a though, it would be nearly all in the water / ice , so if the tracks were to be problematic I could sink it ! Would the two be in the right time frame, Don't want to have a riot about what year breaking out do we ..

Always a chair for you Paul :thumb2:.

Hi Jim, that's two of at least, Steve says someone nicked the biscuits, sorry .

Steve , thank you for the offer on the tracks, but I must not cheat ! What does SCW mean ? Sorry if I sound out of touch with modern shortened words :confused:. Yes when you are recovered the T34"will be a must..

Hi Dave, it will sit on the shelf , and gather dust . Oh the Fruil tracks, Alan and Fernando went to a show in Holland and got me several sets, at way below prices here in the UK . Yes please do, just throw them out !
John .

Whats the idea sound like that I mentioned to Steve, personally I quite like the idea of having two tanks , would make a change from the normal one .
Trouble has arrived with a bowl of custard for Steves cake. You need to get those tracks done John, very theraputic I am told, now to find a seat - sorry madam, was that your hat, well what was your head doing down there???

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
As you know I've had enough surgery on my eyes to to last me , so the mere thought of using that pen is a no no.:anguished:
I've Andy's phone no, so I could text him, don't ring him during the week as he could be anywhere in Devon working.
John.
John, stay well away from those pens unless you are wearing the correct eye protection, it can lead to a lot of eye problems....Cheers, Mike.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Another Soviet based build, must be Comrade Dzhon! No fire involved? That is different, I'll have to follow along to see where this one goes.

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sunny here at Race Towers few clouds and some blue sky. :surprised:

Good progress on the Panzer Ausf 1. The main part went ok, a few little gaps, so a little filler can sort that out. The instructions are rather odd, and do doubt " old school " Very few pages, in fact one large sheet of paper printed on both sides. No sprue letters ! just a number id which there appears in no chronological order whats so ever. Made the finding things quite fun frustrating at times, having picked most of the sprues up at twice if not more when looking for small bits. :tired::unamused:.

Took my time with the small items, the plastic was some fragile even using the saw to remove from the sprue was fraught.
Either it was the plastic they used or the kit has been kept in the incorrect temperature I don't know. The bar above the open door was broken on the sprue when I came to do the other side , so ended up trying to make a wire one.
I haven't fitted the front or rear fenders, thought the least stuff in the way for track fitting will help, so the plan is to paint , fit tracks and then the fenders.
The bit of wire protruding from the second support arm to the right is the result of yet another broken in the box part. The seller just wrapped the box in brown paper ! nothing inside was wrapped in bubble wrap, so the sprues has a battering coming through the post. :angry:.

Below are the front fenders, I decided to have a bit of a play and added some wire, how much will be seen under the snow is another thing , but all good practice.

That fire extinguisher ? had so many seem lines I would have damaged the detail if I'd tried to get them all off .
No photo of the rear fenders, one was snapped in half, so stuck the two halves in some blue tack and ran some glue down the break, still slightly bent, but that can be damage. 329428
Turret , the hatch had some weird brkts either side of the hinge part , but on some photos I found they were not to be seen , any way they were so poorly moulded they are better off in the box !
Could not understand the " no glue here " part of the instructions, there were 4 parts, one held the slide for tilting the guns, but either way there appeared to be no method of fixing that curved section to anything. The front part just fell off ! The instructions were so unclear just a series of lines showing how they went into each other . So glued it is. Awaiting the decent barrels from our technical weapons expert in Bamburg. :thumb2:.

Now I'm no lover of the hairy string tow cable, even after it has the flame to remove any hairs left after its got wet from painting. So out came so very thin wire. Using 9 strands held in the pin vice and the other end in the bench vice I slowly wound the wires together . After they were coiled I applied a spot of CA to hold them together.

The lugs were too small for me to attempt any holes , so a straight join was the only way.

Now any other time I would have either glued them to the cutting matt or my fingers, but using the kitchen cutting board the CA can't stick. Fantastic , I was going to use the board to make a track jig, as nothing in the glue that we use for modelling sticks to the board.

Meanwhile the track jid that I did get mentioned by Dave Amos has been put through it's paces. Ok not perfect , the bolt head doesn't fit in the counter sunk hole on the under side, it needs some cleaning up , but that can wait. A smear of vaseline stops the TET and Contacta from sticking. As long as the links are really well sanded and de knibbed, (every single link has had to be sanded and the smallest mould line removed they just won't fit ) Made me appreciate how Steve felt about them the other day.:smiling3:

The tracks half done on one side .

Note the Tamiya tape, thanks Si :thumb2: Oh and the wire thingy above the closed hatch.

Now the neat trick of the week, TRY NOT to laugh please.
I had to glue these two wheel together to go onto the long shafts. Thinking the wood would not stick to the TET I just gave the sticks a light sanding, pushed the wheels on and ran some glue around the join. Ah thinking this was a neat idea :hugging-face::nerd: I went and carried on ! But left it too long, one set came off with a struggle , and the others, well lets just say when I find the correct size drill I'm sure all will be well. :rolling:

:unamused::disappointed2::sad::surprised::flushed:. Oh well can't win them all.

That's it for today, some .5 mm drill in the post to do the Fruils and enjoying the build.:surprised:
Comments as always. oh are those wheels to the left of the last photo rubber outer edged ? and as I need to paint them before fitting I would like to know the paint colour, is it grey of that yellow Dunkle thing. :smiling:

John.

Attachments

• _MG_4448.jpgT1.jpg
    _MG_4448.jpgT1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another Soviet based build, must be Comrade Dzhon! No fire involved? That is different, I'll have to follow along to see where this one goes.
Hi Graeme.... your welcome, see Steve for seating. No, no fire :disappointed::disappointed: but plenty of snow and ice !
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well you have been busy today John. Great to see the build has come along so well. Glad to see the track link jig came in use. As for the colour of the Ausf F yours will be Panzergrau. No need to worry about the three toned camo scheme as these were in central Russia. You could be adventurous and do the winter camo if you wanted as I found one with it on. However the majority were Panzergrau.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Steve,
I was going to go on the net to try find out, but glad you have posted, thank you .
I am not that adventurous thank you :smiling4:, I 'll leave that to you, and anyone else you can talk into it lol ..
I like grey, and I like green , that's enough to do with out having winter washes. :anguished: .
John .

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good John,,, hope that you get hose wheels worked out wit the drilling of ye old toothpick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
J.R. you are waiting for drill bits? You know darn good and well those toothpicks are combustible!
Burn this babies out of there and get on with it!:tongue-out::tongue-out2::smiling3:
Cheers, Rick H.
PS. I'm with Mr. Jones, Panzergrau is an excellent choice!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John,,, hope that you get hose wheels worked out wit the drilling of ye old toothpick
Hi Joe, ......... Thanks , as for ," drill - gate as it will be known as :tongue-out: !
I should manage to get it sorted out later today. .

J.R. you are waiting for drill bits? You know darn good and well those toothpicks are combustible!
Burn this babies out of there and get on with it!:tongue-out::tongue-out2::smiling3:
Cheers, Rick H.
PS. I'm with Mr. Jones, Panzergrau is an excellent choice!

Rick :tongue-out::smiling3::smiling3: yes quite correct, unfortunately I would like to keep the wheels !
Thanks guys .
John

Thanks , no modelling this morning as Management have decided we are going shopping at a local out of town shopping center, the only down side they don't stock any models, but do have a lovely tools section !
Bye .
John .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning John

Well done for building the Pz I F tracks, it will be fun and a character building exercise.

Must better than the T-26 tracks?

Looks like everything is progressing smoothly

Regards

Steve H

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up....Good progress John...with respect to fibreglass pens, the solution to minimising flying fibres is easy.....use them wet. They are really useful for cleaning up etch prior to soldering, amongst other uses. They can also be used with bristles “long”, as a soft less aggressive cleaner and with bristles “short” as a more aggressive cleaner...I have had several that I have used like that for years...but when using one to clean up I keep a saucer of water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid nearby and dip the fibre pen in each time I use it....when you finish, simply rinse the model and carry on......

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,
Somehow missed your work on the Pz I:thinking:...looks like you getting somewhere with it!
Track jig looks helpful, might have to have a go at making one for myself.

Bet your glad both vehicles will be one colour, no camo this time round :smiling4:
Keep it coming mate:thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
A nice busy build going on here, keep going, looking forward to the snow.
Cheers, Mike.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning John

Well done for building the Pz I F tracks, it will be fun and a character building exercise.

Must better than the T-26 tracks?

Looks like everything is progressing smoothly

Regards

Steve H
Hi Steve, hope your feeling better . Yes the tracks are ok........ish :smiling: lots of cleaning but with the parts so small I can under stand that the slightest flash left on will be a problem. Definitely no margin for error. Probably easier than the Hobby Boss, with those pins. Not quite sure about the character building :confused::smiling2:.
?
Just had a catch up....Good progress John...with respect to fibreglass pens, the solution to minimising flying fibres is easy.....use them wet. They are really useful for cleaning up etch prior to soldering, amongst other uses. They can also be used with bristles “long”, as a soft less aggressive cleaner and with bristles “short” as a more aggressive cleaner...I have had several that I have used like that for years...but when using one to clean up I keep a saucer of water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid nearby and dip the fibre pen in each time I use it....when you finish, simply rinse the model and carry on......
Thanks forTim,. I think Andy Smith had recommended one for doing chipping, can't remember If that was one of the used. You turn the shaft and the " pen " overs longer. I will have a look tomorrow and see If it is FB . Like the idea of the washing up liquid, I can degrease the model at the same time ! :smiling2:
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning John,
Somehow missed your work on the Pz I:thinking:...looks like you getting somewhere with it!
Track jig looks helpful, might have to have a go at making one for myself.

Bet your glad both vehicles will be one colour, no camo this time round :smiling4:
Keep it coming mate:thumb2:
Hiq Si,. Yes getting there, have a question to ask later !
No no no camo Is definitely out this season, very last year :smiling3:
If you make a track jig nodoubt you will ensure the sliding plate does slid, and not attempt to turn !
John,
A nice busy build going on here, keep going, looking forward to the snow.
Cheers, Mike.
Thanks Mike, yes I agree bring on the snow, might be a couple of weeks yet though.
Where's that John?
Pete
Downtown, Pete. In the garden center section, have some nice bits and pieces, plastic containers and some hand tools. Not a real tool shop as in that sense, but ok. For a real tool shop I'd go to Toolfix Services in Peterborough, not that is a tool shop !
John .