P.S Well done Allen with those barrels. Top man mate :thumb2::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not to worry Dzohn the rest will be so excellent no one will notice. Most of the ugly track parts are on the bottom where they should be anyhow. Some thoughtfully placed rocks would easily cause the right side tracks to look OK. The left could use some mud/snow:smiling2:. The open right side escape hatch makes me assume that's the high side, so much the better. A closer fit around the sprockets would likely have eliminated a link on each side. Cutting off the teeth that don't mesh with the tracks gives a better fit FYFR. PaulE
Paul.

Well noted on the placing Paul :thumb2::thumb2:
Thanks for the info on the sprockets, another one to remember .:thumb2: As fore the tracks, yes I thought the r/h side with the open hatch would indeed be on the sloping side side so not seen easily from the front of the diorama. Again a stone could be placed under that lift in the lower track.Missed that altogether when I did it, but don't want to attempt a change now. Of course half of the left hand side will be in the water and ice.
Dzhon .

PM being sent mate

P.S Well done Allen with those barrels. Top man mate :thumb2::cool:
Hi mate PM in bound to you
Will look at your blog later to see what you mean
Yes Top Man indeed , now struck down with a really nasty infection and off work . Had a pm earlier.

John.

Started the Fruils this afternoon, much easier than the SU ones , just that bit bigger , got about 50 odd done:surprised::surprised:
Thanks as usual .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good job,john,always tricky theses,one,s,as Paul,said a few well placed stones will work for you,:smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
good job,john,always tricky theses,one,s,as Paul,said a few well placed stones will work for you,:smiling:
Thanks Monica.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening all .
Spent the last few days doing the Friuls, and pleased to say that they were ok, spent one evening listening to the TV while I drilled out and cleaned up . Some were pretty bad, but luckily only a few.
I got some photos, one track has one more link, and the other looks about right to me, but always open for advice. Surprised how little wire I had left, if I'd had done as some videos show cutting an over sized length Id have run out. Only have 75 mm spare. All ca'd Ive some de bonda for the ca, just a spot on the wire and left for a short time the wire can be pulled out.

This seems a little too many. A

While this looks about right. B
Painting every thing next, going to attempt some oils !!!!! Must remember to seal after the acrylics. and again after the oils before the snow. Reminders always welcome.:smiling2::smiling2: Also tidied up the cave !!!! Wonders will never cease.
Comments please.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Go with option B. Option A is just asking for the track to roll off the wheels, if this were a real tank.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Go with option B. You do see photos of KVs (and ISs) with tracks as slack as in photo A, but not a lot.
Cheers . Jakko .
Hi the problem with the first was the large amount of slack under the front sprocket, , other than that the main sag looked ok. Will def go with the B one.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I noticed that after posting, and thus amended my message — but you appear to have hit the Reply button before I could even do that …

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Had I seen this earlier, A. would have been my choice. I have seen too many photos of these with
As Jakko says, " the tracks about to roll off the wheels. But it is your model so do what your insides tell you to. BTW with all the interest in KVs I have broken one out of the stash and will be starting it soon. Good progress so far JR, will you be twisting your tow cables or using the kit provided units? Cheers Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John,
Option B looks good to me but I have seen pictures of these with very baggy tracks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have seen pictures of these with very baggy tracks.
What you usually see in photos of KVs and ISs with loose track, is about as much sag in the top run as John’s option A has, but the main problem with the model is the slack below the drive wheel. That wouldn’t happen in the real world unless the tank drove backward, but if John were to pull the track tight there and below the idler, it would sag even more at the top.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hats off to the model manufacturer for at least giving you enough track pieces to have an option of what looks good to you. Nothing worse than a WW2 Russian tank with tracks that look like they were stretched over the sprockets and road wheels. Isn't this a great hobby!
Cheers Rick H.:thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Dusted off the front seat and caught up John…

Neat to see the crew from a Tammie 88 join the fray and nice assembly work of the KV and Panzer.

The Fruils on ‘’B’’ look great, nice sag.:smiling:

ps. Great care package from Allen, top man.:thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice Mr Race,
Definitely option B for me too. Can’t be from from painting time?:smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Had I seen this earlier, A. would have been my choice. I have seen too many photos of these with
As Jakko says, " the tracks about to roll off the wheels. But it is your model so do what your insides tell you to. BTW with all the interest in KVs I have broken one out of the stash and will be starting it soon. Good progress so far JR, will you be twisting your tow cables or using the kit provided units? Cheers Rick H.
Hi Rick as much as I like the sag in A the problems is as Jakko has highlighted, tighten that bottom section up and there is too much on the top .
Hi John,
Option B looks good to me but I have seen pictures of these with very baggy tracks.
Cheers Paul , going to go with B if I could have had half a link . Then it would have been A :smiling:

Hats off to the model manufacturer for at least giving you enough track pieces to have an option of what looks good to you. Nothing worse than a WW2 Russian tank with tracks that look like they were stretched over the sprockets and road wheels. Isn't this a great hobby!
Cheers Rick H.:thumb2:
Yes Rick a great hobby indeed. Quite a few spare links, only came across two that were faulty, with bits missing . Might have some cables in stock from Eureka, or as you mentioned make my own. The plastic type ones like the kit tracks were utter rubbish !
Dusted off the front seat and caught up John…

Neat to see the crew from a Tammie 88 join the fray and nice assembly work of the KV and Panzer.

The Fruils on ‘’B’’ look great, nice sag.:smiling:

ps. Great care package from Allen, top man.:thumb2:
Hi Fernando, always nice to see you . Well spotted on the Tammie 88 crew , think were kindly sent to me by Bobby Dale if I remember right . Those were the Fruils you got for me at the show, :thumb2: As for Dude 1 even on his sick bed he managed to drill those out ! Top man indeed .
Very nice Mr Race,
Definitely option B for me too. Can’t be from from painting time?:smiling4:
Evening Si,. Thank you for your vote . Yes sholud start the painting this week . Though I need to give every thing a good clean , the plastic gets very greasy with the constant handling. Might put them in the DW :surprised::smiling3:.
John .

Thanks all ,as I mentioned to Si, painting next, will prime the tracks with MRHobby and that bit of people. Followed by a gentle wash with fairy, ( Other brands are available ) a rinse and a dry with the hair dryer .
John .
Two photos of that sag !
With thanks to http://wio.ru/tank/tank-kv.htm.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mine too. I'm twisting my own and probably making the end fittings as well. Cheers, Rick H.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
those tracks..... i can't wait to see the paint and the weathering..