1/35 MINI-ART Ya - 12 SOVIET ARTILLERY TRACTOR. 35052

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening all, while waiting for those trees to dry and another dry brushing I decided to set too on my next build.
Russian again I hear you cry, well why not I reply.:nerd:

This is one of the kits I bought when our dear friend Simon T and I were looking at Creative Models. Simon pm'd me and mentioned there was a load of Russian stuff at 30% off. This was one of the many I bought that night, so will think of him giving me support as I attempt to do those tracks. Several very clean sprues, typical of Mini Art with some hair thin parts, those will be fun to say the least:crying:.

More on the tractor itself later, but for now some photos of the kit.

2021_30.jpg2021_32.jpg

Those link and length tracks .:sad:

2021_34.jpg

Letters marked up .
2021_35.jpg

Seating available, through Mrs Jones Ticket agency , liquid refreshments by Dude 1 aka Allen Dewire and Steve "Rivet " Jones. Cakes and sandwiches by Si Benson. Tea by Lee & Rick.

Please join me for some of the usual fun and banter, and some modelling .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A great choice for your next build JR. Good luck with those tracks. Will you be leaving the back uncovered with loads of crapintheback?

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh John, what are you letting yourself into? This model is the reason I gave up on MiniArt! OK it was a few years ago, and I think they've improved their plastic, but mine suffered from brittle plastic disease!, and getting some parts off the sprues in one piece was a major success I think the 'working' torsion bar suspension was bad enough, but the control linkages from engine to cab turned me into a gibbering wreck. After that the tracks were a walk in the park! NOT that I'm trying to put you off!!!! I'll be very interested to see how you go on! :tongue-out:
Sadder & Wiser
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Fancy you doing something Russian :smiling2: Great choice although I reckon it will test your patience.
Off now to get a ticket from Mrs Jones. Really hope that Si has date and walnut cake - my favourite with a nice cup of tea.
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I am sure you will enjoy the build John but I think you will find the tracks are not link and length. This model was on my list for a while but after the hassle of the tracks on the Mirror Models Bulldozer I decided to give it a miss as the tracks looked a similar fiddle to put together. Not to worry, I will pull up a chair if I may and bring a bottle of Jura.

Andy.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
705??? what the H*ll is that???...who let Ron out of the ward?... I'm in JR, but the water isn't to the boil yet you'll have to be patient if you want a cuppa tea Jim........the rest of you stay clear till Matron gets a net on the poor man.....he's suffering from a bad case of jumbledupnumeralitus!!! Rick H. :tongue-out3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A great choice for your next build JR. Good luck with those tracks. Will you be leaving the back uncovered with loads of crapintheback?
Could you not mention anything about tracks please or tell me 3 part camo is required:cool: There will be some crap but it might be anywhere if this is as bad as Dave says.:confused:

Not another Russian green machine, almost as bad as that good looking sun of a gun who's a StuG lunatic

By the way count me in
No shouting out about how these tractors were eaten by some StuG please Bob .:nerd:

Oh John, what are you letting yourself into? This model is the reason I gave up on MiniArt! OK it was a few years ago, and I think they've improved their plastic, but mine suffered from brittle plastic disease!, and getting some parts off the sprues in one piece was a major success I think the 'working' torsion bar suspension was bad enough, but the control linkages from engine to cab turned me into a gibbering wreck. After that the tracks were a walk in the park! NOT that I'm trying to put you off!!!! I'll be very interested to see how you go on! :tongue-out:
Sadder & Wiser
Dave
Trouble by the sounds of things Dave ! Well better forewarned I suppose. I've already noticed there are some very thin parts, will soon find out about the plastic , those tracks don't thrill me I have to say.

Off subject sorry John but Trumpeters Daring plastic is brittle as well
Bob what ever kit I have the plastic is either so hard or the exact opposite. Swearing in Russian will no doubt be the order of the day here. Swearing in Russian means no one else has the slightest idea of what your saying, picked most of it up from UTube watching advanced Russian drivers !
Hi John
Fancy you doing something Russian :smiling2: Great choice although I reckon it will test your patience.
Off now to get a ticket from Mrs Jones. Really hope that Si has date and walnut cake - my favourite with a nice cup of tea.
Jim
Your always welcome Jim, yes who would have guessed it. :smiling: I might never mention the build ever again if it's goes *** up. Time will only tell. Of course it may end up a shot up and burnt out wreak you never know !

I am sure you will enjoy the build John but I think you will find the tracks are not link and length. This model was on my list for a while but after the hassle of the tracks on the Mirror Models Bulldozer I decided to give it a miss as the tracks looked a similar fiddle to put together. Not to worry, I will pull up a chair if I may and bring a bottle of Jura.

Andy.
Yes think your right there about the tracks Andy. As I hate plastic tracks anyway getting the name right is the least of my troubles :smiling3::nerd: Still will cross that bridge when I come to it ,might end up with Fruils, if they do them.

I'm in, 453!
No tea and cakes for me. Seeing how he has a bottle of Jura, I'll sit next to Andy! :smiling4:

Greetings 570 most welcome indeed .
Your not the only one who might take to the drink !
453 .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking an interesting build, I'll find a quiet corner.
Evening Gerry, welcome aboard.I should be careful where you sit, the front two rows will be get quite rowdy as things progress esp as more of the Rabble turn up.The ones to watch out for the most are 3 members from the colonies ! They can be unpredictable.:smiling::nerd:

705??? what the H*ll is that???...who let Ron out of the ward?... I'm in JR, but the water isn't to the boil yet you'll have to be patient if you want a cuppa tea Jim........the rest of you stay clear till Matron gets a net on the poor man.....he's suffering from a bad case of jumbledupnumeralitus!!! Rick H. :tongue-out3:
See Gerry , now this one is probably the worst , stay well away from him .
Evening Rick, good to see you . Don't know what's up with 570, have you called Matron ? Keep the kettle boiling ,Lee will be here soon for his Yorkshire.

Well the front two rows are full, so anyone else should be safe in rows 3 and 4 .
Hope fully more tomorrow.
Dzhon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll keep an eye on this as well John. Looks interesting, if a tad complicated. Mind you, the basic box should be OK, so the rest is just gingerbread and could probably be worked around if it is too difficult.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, if you've got the patience to get it finished it'll look great,them tracks are why my t55 isn't finished can't seem to find the enthusiasm to start putting the near 700 pieces of them together!:confounded:
Morning Mark, I've only glanced at those tracks as many know I hate normal link things so any thing can happen. If I can do it then so can you, perhaps we should carry on together.

Looks a challenge Dzohn. Awful bunch'o'parts for a simple tractor.
Quite agree Paul I was expecting some sort of made up body, but no, a load of small section, oh well in for a pound as we say. Remember I can always end up a wreak if I find it too hard.:nerd:.

I'll follow along if I may John. It's a kit I've been looking at, but those tracks are a definite nope for me.
Welcome Andy, please do, don't expect you'll lean anything other than an exercise in how not too, mind you the Rabble haven't woken up yet with the normal banter, this alone is always worth a look in.

I’ll keep an eye on this as well John. Looks interesting, if a tad complicated. Mind you, the basic box should be OK, so the rest is just gingerbread and could probably be worked around if it is too difficult.

Morning Tim, wet here so a day inside, might even get some modelling done. Yes please keep an eye on this any advice always welcome.

Right battle is about to commence, but first another wash on those trunks.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John

I'm be joining the party of have no objection.

The tracks look like the Bronco ones I did on Pz II, in that they simply click together. Is that right? If so, I found that they went together and articulated surprisingly well but that if put under any kind of tension they came apart.

In the end I lay a length of 6mm making tape across the whole length, applied some TET to each join and wrapped it around the tracks, and then let it set. It either very well that way.

Just a thought.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The running gear is the same as the T-70 & T-80 from MiniArt - and a lengthened chassis SU-76 - All use the same individual link tracks, not difficult, just mind numbingly boring. My Ya-12 was never completed and is now land fill!
final track assy 02.jpg
This is from a T-80. I made up link & length runs for the tracks, letting some of them partly dry before forming them around the idlers/sprockets. Not complicated - just tedious!
Dave

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The running gear is the same as the T-70 & T-80 from MiniArt - and a lengthened chassis SU-76 - All use the same individual link tracks, not difficult, just mind numbingly boring. My Ya-12 was never completed and is now land fill!
View attachment 426499
This is from a T-80. I made up link & length runs for the tracks, letting some of them partly dry before forming them around the idlers/sprockets. Not complicated - just tedious!
Dave
The ones I've got to do have two pins that push in either side of each link so they can articulate.