1/35 SCALE Academy / Zvezda 13506 KV- 2 Tank

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings, with the StuG for Bob's build finished I decided to return surprisingly :smiling2::smiling3::nerd:to some Russian amour.
Unfortunately the book .

1577372440651.png

is out of print.:cold-sweat: Perhaps the best publisher on Russian armour.

Having bought this recently I decided to do a check on Scalemates to see how many re boxes it has had. I had an earlier version from Zevzda which I built in the other house. From what I can see it is roughly the same kit. this does appear to be clean as some photos will later show. Looking through the add ons and at the decals with the kit there is one fault, this tank was never painted with propaganda slogans as they would have you believe. There are no known photos to me that show any, plenty of photos with German signs on and directions ! I shall add a little history as I do the build.

Box front.
2019.jpg
Some etch and barrel in the box.
2019_2.jpg

I built the Zvezda 3608 in 2016.
2019_3B.jpg
2019_4C.jpg

2019_5.jpg
Some of you may remember it, complete with a nice set of Fruils.

Any way this time I'm going to use the kit tracks , but idf they don't look good. I'll send off for some Fruils.

Now back to this model .

2019_6.jpg

2019_7.jpg

Looks quite clean and reasonable detail, suppose Simon would remove the track guards and re do but they are attached to the body and don;t think I could cope !:smiling3:

Seating available, coffee , tea , light refreshments by Si , the bar will be run by Allen Dewire and Steve Jones, who by the way is handling all tickets through
Mrs Jones Seating Ltd . Devon .

John.

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
First In.....means I get a good view and a comfy chair :nerd:

Having only ever built a few Ruski-mobiles, the KV-2 is very appealing :cool:

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Mr Race, 9am in the morning, clean shirt tie and mind!!

StuG school extra lessons as you did not pay attention!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I did the Trumpeter KV-2 on another forum a couple of years ago - used the decals of the patriotic slogans - promptly was told that they never carried them! The Trumpeter model went together well, and the pre-sagged link & length tracks worked well, I hope the Zvezda tracks are as easy........
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mr Race, 9am in the morning, clean shirt tie and mind!!

StuG school extra lessons as you did not pay attention!
Sorry Sir , but the dog ate my home work, my StuG is finished , so will do the final photos tomorrow just for you.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
I did the Trumpeter KV-2 on another forum a couple of years ago - used the decals of the patriotic slogans - promptly was told that they never carried them! The Trumpeter model went together well, and the pre-sagged link & length tracks worked well, I hope the Zvezda tracks are as easy........
Dave
Yes Dave all the kit makers include them, but how wrong they were. !

The tracks are those long bits and then the bend and some separate links, knowing my history of links tracks I might as well send for some Fuils now !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The boxart for the Trumpy version even shows a similar slogan...................trumpy kv-2.jpg

I wonder if there is a photo, or painting out there, which shows such a tank? ( maybe a museum piece? ), or is it a case of plagiarism.....................
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The boxart for the Trumpy version even shows a similar slogan...................View attachment 367846

I wonder if there is a photo, or painting out there, which shows such a tank? ( maybe a museum piece? ), or is it a case of plagiarism.....................
Dave
Dave as I said there are no known photos of the KV-2 with slogans on, its a fabricated idea from manufactures thinking that all Russian Armour was plastered with writing. Funny that both photos of the box art show the same slogan :nerd:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ticket bought from Mrs Jones Seating. Looking forward to the build and the refreshments.
Jim
Hi Jim , you might be pleased to learn there are no mince pies, Christmas cake on offer, just refreshingly simply cakes ! The build on the other hand could get quite exciting :nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I just looked through KW 1 ★ KW 2 by Waldemar Trojca, which has a couple dozen (German) photos of knocked-out KV 2s, and hardly any of them shows any markings at all, never mind big slogans. This, of course, is not proof that they were never applied, but I would kind of expect soldiers to take more pictures of tanks with big, interesting markings than bare ones if they had the choice, and for people choosing photos of tanks for a book to do much the same.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John, shall be joining you for this. The Zvezda one looks very nicely done indeed and so have high hopes for this too.

Any chance of arranging take away curry deliveries? I'm not sure a light snack will be enough!

On a serious note I seem to recall reading somewhere that the turret was so heavy that trying to turn it on anything other than fairly flat ground was next to impossible. It's that correct?

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Perhaps it's Russian for "Gullible"
It reads “За Сталина!” (transliterated: Za Stalina, meaning “For Stalin!”). This is a slogan seen, painted exactly like on the box art, on some photos of KV-1 tanks. I’m guessing artistic licence and/or a desire for sales has caused it to appear on model kit boxes and marking sheets, so yes, you’re probably right it means “gullible” in this context :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, shall be joining you for this. The Zvezda one looks very nicely done indeed and so have high hopes for this too.

Any chance of arranging take away curry deliveries? I'm not sure a light snack will be enough!

On a serious note I seem to recall reading somewhere that the turret was so heavy that trying to turn it on anything other than fairly flat ground was next to impossible. It's that correct?

ATB

Andrew
Hi Andrew, yes the the traverse ring would jam, it had great difficulty on a slope resulting it only being able to fire when on flat ground. But when it did fire the results were catastrophic to the target.

D

Deleted member 6559

A nice looking kit John, which I'm sure you will do justice. I'd always go for a slogan myself, just for the aesthetic appeal.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew, yes the the traverse ring would jam, it had great difficulty on a slope resulting it only being able to fire when on flat ground. But when it did fire the results were catastrophic to the target.
Thanks John for the confirmation.

As you said not something to be on the receiving end of. at 6" it's the same calibre of shell as used by a lot WW2 cruisers which kind of puts it into perspective on the size of blast resulting from a hit...

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Excellent John :thumb2:

If you remember I got the same kit and Jordi aftermarket set at the same time

The sprues look like the usual average quality of Zvezda - there are a lot of ejector pin marks on the inside face of the track sections