1/35 Scale Shadow box Dinner on the front line from Miniart.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr Race,
Jims award for the dogs do-dahs total sums it up! Magnificent, I bet you must have the look of the cat that got the cream....and duly so!
Looks fab :smiling4::thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Mr Race,
Jims award for the dogs do-dahs total sums it up! Magnificent, I bet you must have the look of the cat that got the cream....and duly so!
Looks fab :smiling4::thumb2:
Thanks Si, didn't look like the cat with the cream earlier, stuck my hand to the side of the box !:smiling3::smiling3: after managing to get CA on the side of my hand. Next thing I knew I was part of the display !

Pretty unconventional loft insulation John, but I guess it'll do!
Nice flue by the way.
Pete
Thanks Pete, that damned flue has caused more problems than the whole build, see above ! Well at least the soil was free :smiling3:
Only popped in check that Grammarly I tried has gone, absolutely a waste of time. So if anyone has seen it or been thinking about it take my advice and don't bother. Glad I only tried the free version.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

Your sales lady probably knows more than me but I would put the flashing lights on a separate circuit and power the rest with more like 6v. Anyway it's looking real good.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

Your sales lady probably knows more than me but I would put the flashing lights on a separate circuit and power the rest with more like 6v. Anyway it's looking real good.

John
Thanks , I had no idea what power to use , so relied upon her experience. Hopefully it will be ok. If it isn't I could always have another separate supply for them John. Could I increase everything to 6 volt ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA do that John increase the supply to 6v so longer run time but make sure the led's can handle this power or you might need some resistors fitted inline but this dio is WONDERFULL for detail John very nice work indeed well worth the dog's doo dahs lol
chris

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

There is a simple formula to calculate the resistor required for an led.

Resistor = (Battery Voltage – LED voltage) / desired LED current.

In reality this calculation is not very critical. I would start with a 220 ohm resistor for most led projects, but if you go higher (that is even more protection) the impact will be very small. In general always go a little higher than needed with the resistor. I would go for the separate circuits since sometimes flashing circuits can interfere with regular bulbs. The bottom line is don't be intimidated by the technology, leds are not overly sensitive and in any case you can't really do any harm with 6volts of power. Just go for it.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
YEA do that John increase the supply to 6v so longer run time but make sure the led's can handle this power or you might need some resistors fitted inline but this dio is WONDERFULL for detail John very nice work indeed well worth the dog's doo dahs lol
chris
Thanks Chris. See my answer below, saves repeating it.

John

There is a simple formula to calculate the resistor required for an led.

Resistor = (Battery Voltage – LED voltage) / desired LED current.

In reality this calculation is not very critical. I would start with a 220 ohm resistor for most led projects, but if you go higher (that is even more protection) the impact will be very small. In general always go a little higher than needed with the resistor. I would go for the separate circuits since sometimes flashing circuits can interfere with regular bulbs. The bottom line is don't be intimidated by the technology, leds are not overly sensitive and in any case you can't really do any harm with 6volts of power. Just go for it.

John
Al the diodes have resistors fitted John suppose I could email the supplier and ask ?

This is on the Small Scale Lights site under FAQ.

It's a common misconception that if you use a higher voltage that the LEDs will be brighter. LEDs are the same brightness regardless of the voltage, it's the resistor that controls the brightness and this is determined by the current flowing through the LED. A minimum resistor value is required to protect the LED on any voltage but after that, if you want to use a larger resistor than required then the LED will be dimmer.

I choose resistor values to suit model making requirements as best as possible as LEDs can be too bright if at full brightness. If you need a dim LED then just let me know.

So, to answer the question, I usually recommend 3v for most projects as it's a small battery size and reasonable bang for your buck. If you are using specific LEDs or LED strips then the voltage is set by those, eg 5v LED strips require a 4.5v battery box or 5v transformer; 12v LED strips need a 12v battery box or 12v transformer.

Will have to see when I wire them all in.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just had a catch up JR and its superb. You really have packed some detail in there.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

Only you know if you have the lighting that you want. As I say at very low voltage you can afford to experiment. In other words just give it a try with one led, if it is not worth it then just go on as you are since you are certainly getting a great result.

John

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just had a catch up John, the all the elements go together really well, very impressed. :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a catch up JR and its superb. You really have packed some detail in there.
Thanks Mick .
John

Only you know if you have the lighting that you want. As I say at very low voltage you can afford to experiment. In other words just give it a try with one led, if it is not worth it then just go on as you are since you are certainly getting a great result.

John
John, I've sent for a 6 v battery box. Should be here sometime next week .

Just had a catch up John, the all the elements go together really well, very impressed. :thumb2:
Cheers Graeme

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Only one photo today, that of the trees after they have been sprayed. Slow now as having to wait for the backing photos to dry, and to keep them dry while I apply another layer of Sculptamold

2020.jpg
When dry I can paint the bark on the main trucks.

Thanks for looking in.

Dzhon.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Dr. Tesla Dude 2,

I have, as you know, been following this from the shadows and am totally impressed with your progress and fine craftsmanship.......

You are now reaching a critical stage and I would just say, be careful Dzohn!!! If not, please be sure to take a picture of all your hair standing up if you happen to cross the wrong wires. That would be most beneficial to our morale and offer us a good chuckle too!!!

Seriously, this is your most fantastic project so far and you have nailed every aspect of it. A tip of my hat to you Sir!!!! Go Gadget, Go!!!!!!

Prost
Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good Evening Dr. Tesla Dude 2,

I have, as you know, been following this from the shadows and am totally impressed with your progress and fine craftsmanship.......

You are now reaching a critical stage and I would just say, be careful Dzohn!!! If not, please be sure to take a picture of all your hair standing up if you happen to cross the wrong wires. That would be most beneficial to our morale and offer us a good chuckle too!!!

Seriously, this is your most fantastic project so far and you have nailed every aspect of it. A tip of my hat to you Sir!!!! Go Gadget, Go!!!!!!

Prost
Dude 1
Thank you my friend, I do not intend however to show any photos of my hair in a state of shock or otherwise . I look like it most of the time, having not had my hair cut professionally for over a year! :smiling3::smiling3::nerd:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You know how you loose parts and blame the carpet, or
other floor covering monsters.
Well I lost the stove doors, could have sworn I'd painted them and put them into a container with all the other parts for the table and stove.
The stove was there alright, and most of the table parts.
I had a clear up, thinking these missing parts would suddenly reappear. No such luck, Management checked the floor , once she has checked you can rest assured !
This morning while looking at the stove pipes and the cowel in particular I suddenly found the missing doors.
Yes still on the sprue !

IMG_20210307_105904151.jpg
No laughing matter either.
Some photos of the upper section in work.
IMG_20210307_105143746.jpgIMG_20210307_105115397_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Sunny now so off into the garden. :smiling3::nerd:.
Enjoy the rest of the day.
Dzhon .

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You know how you loose parts and blame the carpet, or
other floor covering monsters.
Well I lost the stove doors, could have sworn I'd painted them and put them into a container with all the other parts for the table and stove.
The stove was there alright, and most of the table parts.
I had a clear up, thinking these missing parts would suddenly reappear. No such luck, Management checked the floor , once she has checked you can rest assured !
This morning while looking at the stove pipes and the cowel in particular I suddenly found the missing doors.
Yes still on the sprue !

View attachment 415894
No laughing matter either.
Oh yes it is!

Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up a bit John and a lovely box it is:cool:

Great interior and figs, neat to have the warmer light colour too:thumb2::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh yes it is!

Pete
:smiling2:
Just caught up a bit John and a lovely box it is:cool:

Great interior and figs, neat to have the warmer light colour too:thumb2::thumb2:
Hi Fernando , keeping well I hope. Thanks for looking in.:thumb2:

Whoa there , easy tiger . A clear up ?! Come on john dont let standards slip :smiling5:
Sorry Tony , don't know what came over me. Looking around the cave tonight it's in a right mess, stuff every where. Of course I blame the storage of none modelling items.
Don't say too much Jim and his spies are about !