1-35 Scale WWI Tommy-My first figure painting in 38 years

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Figures have always been my main passion, and in my teens I made and converted hundreds of Airfix 54mm Coldstream guards, Imperial Guard Grenadiers, Polish Lancers etc etc . Then I went to art school to study Stage Design, which I chose partly because we were required to make models of our sets at 1-25 scale. There were hardly any figures in 75mm scale you could buy at that time, or that I could afford on my student grant – (different times, let’s not go there….) , and certainly not in Elizabethan costume, so I tried sculpting my own.
I used plasticine on a balsa wood and cocktail stick armature, and I found I had a talent for it.

After art school I freelanced making models for London stage designers, and I experienced my own personal industrial revolution when I discovered Milliput. Now I didn’t have to worry about my models getting squished!

Usual story; I got married, had kids, eventually got a regular job (I wasn’t a very good designer) , which left no time for a hobby .

BUT…….

Cunningly, I managed to get some paid commissions for sculpting master figures, for Hussar Military Miniatures, amongst others. This would keep my hand in and give me the excuse of extra money for spending hours in my cupboard (it was years before I got a cave). Anyway, the net result of that is that although I have been sculpting figures all my adult life, I haven’t actually painted a figure in something like 38 years.

Fast-forward to last year when I bought my first commercial figures for as many years, three from Tommy’s War world war one range.

IMG_20190321_181216410.jpg

They are such lovely sculpts by Nino Pizzichemi that I wanted some practice before I set brush to paint on them. So I bought the Revell re-boxed ICM set for a bargain price, which gave me twelve figures to work up my skills with.

Revell WWI Infantry.jpg

I also bought the Tommy’s War Life Colour paint set.

I’m going to do one at a time in the hope that I can learn from mistakes and progress until I feel I can do the Tommy’s War figures justice.

So here goes.......

IMG_20190309_143210814.jpg

First Name
Andrew
Neil,
Watching with great interest for this of course. Just learn and enjoy yourself. This isn't the place for competing - as far as I'm concerned anyway! This is a place for encouragement and help.
I too have a mental block with painting figures and, as you can imagine, when I work with Mike Butler the target gets well beyond of my skill level! Do your best and learn how to do it again. Peter's recent tutorial will be of great help I'm sure. Have fun!
Andy

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Andy.
Yes, Mike's work really is the gold standard, and I have already put any idea of reaching that out of my mind!
But it helps to be inspired , and both of you certainly do that.

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, a great choice of figures Neil. As Andy says, just have FUN, don't worry about standards - as long as they reach your own, that's all that matters. As for Andy, he's a brilliant figure painter - far better than I am, so check out some of his past threads.

Watching with interest.

First Name
Andrew
Thanks Neil and Peter,
I have long gaps between painting figures and have to relearn each time I do it! I don't have a plan like Peter does and lack confidence, so just muddle my way forward until I'm reasonably happy.
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
That was a most interesting introduction. Your plan to get back into figure painting sounds like a good idea. Those Revell figures look rather nice. Plastic figures can look very nice with a bit of effort.
I am looking forward to your progress with this and I'm sure to pick up plenty of tips along the way.
Jim

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
Neil,
Had you realised that the box art of your VAD nurse now belongs to me!? Thanks to Mike and Darren of Tommy's War. You have to look at her under magnification to appreciate her. Think of it as inspiration rather than trying to achieve what Mike can do - just do your best and we're here to cheer you on!
Andy

• Wow

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok, here goes then!

As Peter says, these are actually quite good models.

There’s not very much flash, they seem to be well thought out and quite finely detailed, there is lots of extra equipment for when I get bolder.
In all the years I was making masters for casting I spent a lot of my time filling in potential undercuts, so it was quite a treat to reverse the process for once. I carved out the tunic skirts and the cuffs, and just sharpened up the edges of some of the webbing.IMG_20190309_154358976.jpg

I’ve been using an optivisor for a while now, and frankly I don’t know how I would have coped with this bit of rifle without one…
IMG_20190310_095946447.jpg

I could barely hold it to clean the mould lines off it!. And you can bet your life that if I hadn’t bothered it would leap out of the photos at me, accusingly.

I had a little bit of trouble putting him together, trying to get the separate hands and arms to line up with the rifle.In the end I wired his right arm and I will fill it with some Milliput. It's a bit unnatural but I don't think it will notice once his pack is on his back.
IMG_20190311_214222102.jpg

I had to attach his ammo pouches to be sure the rifle didn’t foul them, but I’ll leave all the other equipment off for painting separately

IMG_20190311_214158068.jpg

Well that's all for now. It's off for a coat of Halford's and then to get stuck in with the hairy sticks.
thanks for looking
Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil.
Taking up a seat please, this should be interesting, hoping to pick up tips as you progress.
Good luck.

John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
you're most welcome ,John, but I think the only thing you're likely to take away from this exercise is how NOT to do stuff....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
nothing unexpected Steve, but remember I cut my teeth on early Airfix and Frog models in the seventies so anything that's better than that is a bonus for me!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well I have to apologise , folks, because there are no WIP shots of this boy. Although I suppose these ARE WIP because I still have some finishing touches to do, but he is pretty much nearly done.
At first it was looking so bad that I didn't want to take any pics, then I just got on a roll, I didn't have my phone handy and before I knew it it was like this!
IMG_20190320_203033554.jpg

IMG_20190320_203016227.jpg

As I suspected I struggled with the drying time and brush marks of the acrylic paints,and I found the glossiness very disconcerting. It was only after the matt lacquer went on that I felt anything like happy- he was almost destined for the bin!
Hats off to Peter Day and Mike the Kiwi and everyone else is all I can say! How DO they do it?
I still want to muddy him a bit more and the SMLE needs a sling, and he needs a base.
But for a first attempt after such a long time off the brushes I'm not too unhappy.
I'm going to do another one from the set in the hope that I can improve things-particularly the face, which is a bit doll-like. I also don't like the colours of the LIFE-COLOUR set at all, so next time I will make my own choices and see how I get on.
I'm also going to do a Napoleonic one , so stay tuned....
thanks for looking
Neil

D

Deleted member 4539

A lot of people struggle with figures but here you have the basics to improve upon.
The way to to get better is simply practice practice practice.
Well done for showing what you have painted and remember to have fun.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nicely done Neil. I think you've chosen the hardest scale to get back into figures with, so doubly well done.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
You're being too critical of your work. Ok the result may not be up to the standard of Peter D and other dedicated figure painters but bear in mind they have sold their souls to the devil to be able to do what they do :rolling:
I think he looks fine and blown up photos are very unkind. If this is your starting point I'm sure you will only get better and better with each figure. I look forward to your Napoleonic figure.
Jim

First Name
Andrew
Did you enjoy doing it and have you learnt from it? are the most important points. We’ve enjoyed your journey. Keep having fun and keep posting please.
Andy

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Did you enjoy doing it and have you learnt from it? are the most important points. We’ve enjoyed your journey. Keep having fun and keep posting please.
Andy
Did I enjoy it? I guess..... .Did I learn from it ? Oh yes!
Was it fun?, Honestly, no.I found it quite stressful!
I know it's not a competition but one can't help but measure oneself against the achievements of the masters on this and other sites (yourself included, Andy)
Will I do it again ? Absolutely, because I want something of my work on display in my house (I've kept it all in the loft out of sight), and I know SWMBO would not countenance a display of little grey men!
thanks again for the encouragement
Neil