1-35 Scale WWI Tommy-My first figure painting in 38 years

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
You're being too critical of your work. Ok the result may not be up to the standard of Peter D and other dedicated figure painters but bear in mind they have sold their souls to the devil to be able to do what they do :rolling:
I think he looks fine and blown up photos are very unkind. If this is your starting point I'm sure you will only get better and better with each figure. I look forward to your Napoleonic figure.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I'll take that about the blown up photos!:cool:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
A lot of people struggle with figures but here you have the basics to improve upon.
The way to to get better is simply practice practice practice.
Well done for showing what you have painted and remember to have fun.
Thanks Ralph!
Stand by to witness more practice.....
Yes, fun, I MUST remember to have FUN

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Just like riding a bike Neil. You have certainly got back into the saddle well. Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing the final figure

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hello all, I see it's nearly a month since I last updated here.
I haven't been idle on this boy, but I have been rather distracted with my other 2 builds.
I made him a base, from a 3D-printed blank, onto which I then slapped some ready mixed polyfilla.
I covered it in clingfilm and pressed his feet in.
IMG_20190413_134035962.jpgIMG_20190413_134608654.jpg
Since this is early WWI uniform I wanted it to be a grass base and not a typical muddy trench- that can come later.
I painted the polyfilla a suitable earth colour and then I used these tufts which I stuck on with pva.
IMG_20190413_134740562.jpg

and this is how it turned out
IMG_20190425_202842059.jpg
I've finished him now, so I will post pics in a new thread.
thanks again for watching
Neil

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Like others have said, just keep going and carry on, some of my first figures were at best awful thank goodness digital cameras or phones existed back then. blowing a 1/35 face to this size is never going to look good, and that's not a criticism of your work, I have seen a couple of blown up photos of Calvin Tan's work on 1/35 faces and they can look rough, but at normal size look awesome.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That's very encouraging,Steve , thanks.
You are right , the digital camera is a double-edged sword for us!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Doing a grand job Mr.M.
This site is best place for encouragement.I see no point when some sites rip others work to bits.Constructive critique is great done in a nice way,The enjoyment we get from what we do must be the overriding factor always.If i didnt share what i do on here i would be lost totally.
Carry on Carruthers.
All the best from Richard