1/35 Sherman M4A3 Calliope

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi this is my attempt at the barrel lift arm release mechanism, you don't often see this part made up now I know why because it's a right b**** to make.
Made up the front finger springs using 0.2mm copper wire.
IMG_20190105_105619360_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190105_114835608_HDR.jpg
Made up the switch released, added cables one 0.5mm & two 0.3 using copper wire, made up rear locking fingers.
IMG_20190105_145937486_HDR.jpgIMG_20190105_150016336_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190105_150035256_HDR.jpgIMG_20190105_150058756_HDR.jpgIMG_20190105_150121552_HDR.jpgIMG_20190105_150320901_HDR.jpgIMG_20190105_150341056_HDR.jpg
It looks something like the diagram. Thank you for stopping by and having a look.
Pete.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Pete,
Just caught up on your build, and I must say it has knocked my socks off, and it is not even finished. And take it steady, remember your health comes before anything, but I am looking forward to more.
Cheers, Mike.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry Pete I just got caught up like Greg said Jaw Dropping!! And Scottie said the dogs cahoonas I’m saying the Cats meow! can’t wait for more always like these Sherman’s and I love that box art

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Looks good Pete :thumb2:

One thing with the wiring - I remember reading somewhere that the wires entered the turret through the redundant aerial base at the rear of the turret

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Peter,
Can’t understand why you doubt your ability so often.....your doing a top job with the details on this :cool::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Pete,
Just caught up on your build, and I must say it has knocked my socks off, and it is not even finished. And take it steady, remember your health comes before anything, but I am looking forward to more.
Cheers, Mike.
Hi Mike thanks for the socks they landed in the garden,as for my health not to bad waiting on some results and get very tired.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Sorry Pete I just got caught up like Greg said Jaw Dropping!! And Scottie said the dogs cahoonas I’m saying the Cats meow! can’t wait for more always like these Sherman’s and I love that box art
Hi Lee so you like it tiny bit then.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Looks good Pete :thumb2:

One thing with the wiring - I remember reading somewhere that the wires entered the turret through the redundant aerial base at the rear of the turret
Hi Simon thank you, as you have found all the books, internet all have differing opinions this variant is a nightmare especially the wiring most go the way I'm doing it, some say the jettison cables go through the commands hatch. What I've done is to look at as many army photos of the time and have gone on them and looked at the best builds I can find.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter,
Can’t understand why you doubt your ability so often.....your doing a top job with the details on this :cool::thumb2:
Thanks Si much appreciated, with so many top builders now on here I know my abilities.
Pete.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks Si much appreciated, with so many top builders now on here I know my abilities.
Pete.

Oh I agree, there are some very, very good scratch builders on our forum, but that doesn’t mean they look down at you or what you do is rubbish mate, far from it. I would love to be able to scratch build as good as you!
I suppose improvement is what the majority of us strive for in our model making.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi very small up date.

Made up the ignition cables using lead wire, it's lays better than copper wire, for the lower tube rail, each set of six tubes has one cable which passes into the turret.
Also added the drain holes to the two rear antenna mounts.

Added six ignition cables to the upper tube rail.

Thank you for looking in.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

That is pretty mind blowing work Pete. So glad you seem to have got through the health crisis (early days I know).

A

Armorguy

And the modeling madness (in more than just a good way) continues, what a joy to follow !

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi calling this one done it's a bit rushed and messy.

I have added some chains on the structure of the tubes they were necessary, and often used, for the assembly and disassembly of the system.
1547125097999.png
Thank you for looking in this will probably be my last build It's just to much of a struggle now it's all down to my condtion.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
That is a great result mate the extra details you have added have really paid off.

D

Deleted member 5819

A bit of info if your interested.

If you type "T34 Calliope" or "Sherman Calliope" in Google, you get a lot of references that are mostly incorrect translations
In 1943, and as a result of the success harvested in the P47 airplanes with the triple assemblies of the 4.5-inch rocket projectile, the United States Army developed a series of terrestrial systems for the use of such projectiles (models mate, M8A1, A2 and A3), which contained 6.8 kg of HE, had a range of 3800 meters and were stabilized by fins.
1547125484869.png
The projectile was electrically fired from 90-inch long launch tubes (M10 plastic fiber, M14 steel and M15 magnesium alloy).
THe tubes, at the rear part, had rocket fastening devices and terminals with contacts (brackets) for igniting them.
1547125559394.png
1547125583701.png

Among the systems designed, those mounted on "tripods" (M12), on Jeep vehicles, on trailers type Nebelwerfer (T66) and Sherman tanks: The Calliope.
The Department of Army Equipment developed the Calliope at the end of 1943, sending the first models to England immediately before D-Day, although they did not see their first action until "Operation Cobra" firing at St. Lò.
They were initial models with the T34 launcher, consisting of 60 M10 tubes arranged in three groups: a first group with two upper rows of 18 tubes and two lower groups with twelve tubes in two rows of six, each.
The launcher was supported by two arms located on both sides of the tower, fixed to it by an upper bracket and a lower stump or stump.
The elevation of the set was made joint with the elevation of the barrel, by using a bar that joined the launcher with a ring and an articulated ring that surrounded the 75 mm barrel.
1547125650838.png
1547125669520.png
This provision made it impossible to fire the main gun, since the recoil would be transmitted to the launcher .
In addition, the use of plastic fiber M10 tubes, it was necessary to replace them after a few shots, for which the entire system, the wiring, the arms and the subjection to the barrel had to be disassembled, which made it a slow and cumbersome procedure for crew.
The solution for these problems was brought by the imagination of the maintenance steps and later the first improved version: the T34E1.

The first consisted of the placement of a welded plate or shelf over the lugs of the gun guard mantlet. On the shelf was screwed the ring that previously surrounded the barrel, making solid the system with mantlet but without touching the tube, allowing its recoil in case of being fired the barrel.
The only problem was that this improvisation limited the elevation of the whole, being necessary to place the Calliope in embankments to achieve the maximum range of the rockets.

The official solution (T34E1) came with the standardization of new components that corrected the Calliope defects:

An extension of the mantlet was available in line with the barrel, which also allowed firing, and achieve the highest elevation of the system, in parallel with the design adopted for the Calliope relative, the M17 (T40).
A hydraulic ejector was available that allowed to uncouple the launcher from the arms of the tower and the lifting arm of the mantlet / barrel, making it easier to change tubes. For the case of the arm of the barrel, there were at least two versions of the ejector, the most seen being the one that I intend to represent in the model, which also shares with the M17 (T40)
A contact box located in the periscope was available of the loader, which allowed the dismantling of the launchers without dismantling all the wiring.
The M10 tubes (plastic and 6.35 mm thick) and M14 (steel and 3.1 mm thick) were replaced by M15 magnesium alloy tubes (4.8 mm thick), with more life Useful.

The use of deflectors of the rocket gases was popularized to avoid their incidence in the covers and vents of the engine. (The manual of the " animal " advised the crew not approach within 75 feet of the hole rockets); as well as the transfer of the radio antenna outside the "dangerous" zone

Many of the modifications standardized in the E1 version were adopted on the existing models, in particular, the hydraulic system freeing mechanisms, the material change of the tubes and the "perisopio" contact boxes.
There are several web pages that claim that the T34E1 version differed from the T34, in incorporating 64 launchers instead of 60. Obviously these statements are incorrect, and are based on an experimental spawn that until a few years ago was in the Fort Lee museum in Virginia after being brought from Aberdeen, and riding a T72 launcher for M16 rockets stabilized by self-rotation, with the shorter tubes; and that incorporated some of the improvements of the T34E1 and the M17 WB as the new lifting mechanism with the prolongation of the mantlet.
The origin of the confusion is probably that the lower groups are two rows of seven rockets instead of six.
Some sources claim that at the end of the war, an E2 version appeared that used sixty tubes with 7.2-inch rockets (if true, it must be huge, the M17 had 20 and occupied "a whole Sherman") but I have not seen any photo of it, nor have I found any technical reference, nor do the "serious" authors cite it or figure in any official publication of the time that I have consulted.
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A stunning build Peter. Wonderful info all round. Hopefully after a bit of a rest you may feel like coming back to the bench with something a little less demanding. Take care my friend