1:35 Sturmgeshutz IV (Tamiya kit)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Toby watch Steve he has a thing about camo. He's spent the last couple of years trying to get me to do it. :nerd: Mind he does know what he's talking about .

Yours looks good to me mate .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So pic 1 shows what the original Tamiya red-brown gave as a finish (it was the enamel, not he acrylic) and I just didn't like it.
The orange blob? That looks like something has gone terribly wrong … Tamiya XF-64 red brown normally gives a kind of chocolaty colour, a bit like a dark version of milk chocolate. It certainly shouldn’t look like a good colour for a national football team.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
The orange blob? That looks like something has gone terribly wrong … Tamiya XF-64 red brown normally gives a kind of chocolaty colour, a bit like a dark version of milk chocolate. It certainly shouldn’t look like a good colour for a national football team.
No I agree and hence the cover-up. I was half tempted to sand it back and start fresh but ultimately the nato brown over the Holland National Team 'blobs' looks okay for my eye. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but for a hobbyist like me plenty good enough. I like the hull paint look better, though the green looks darker than I expected, but again, good enough for 98% of the world.
T

Attachments

• IMG_5409.JPG
    IMG_5409.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 10

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Nearly done now.
I've completed the addition of tracks and body paint. Just need to add camouflage to the lower hull and wheels, add the rest of the tools, decals, attach the added armour side skirts and aerials.

Attachments

• IMG_5411.JPG
    IMG_5411.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5412.JPG
    IMG_5412.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5414.JPG
    IMG_5414.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Toby - don’t forget to paint the inner road wheel tyres

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just need to add camouflage to the lower hull
If there are going to be Schürzen in front of that, you could just skip it. I don’t doubt that was done in the real world too.

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
If there are going to be Schürzen in front of that, you could just skip it. I don’t doubt that was done in the real world too.
It's more where a pattern ends abruptly because I added the paint to the upper hull before I married them up. I also want to disrupt the wheels with some colour here and there. In reality, the Schürzen cover the inside wheel rubbers more than the lower hull. But the inside wheels are annoying me. Such a pain in the backside.
T

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Are the wheels still loose? Since this is a Tamiya kit, they’re fitted with poly caps (those little black tubes), aren’t they? If you didn’t glue them on, you can just pull them off, paint the tyres and push the wheels back onto their axles.

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Are the wheels still loose? Since this is a Tamiya kit, they’re fitted with poly caps (those little black tubes), aren’t they? If you didn’t glue them on, you can just pull them off, paint the tyres and push the wheels back onto their axles.
Way ahead of you Jakko (that's a first) and trying the paint bath and rolling the wheels in for an even look. Possibly wastes a few ml of paint though.