1:35 Tamiya Austin Light Utility Car aka Tilly

B

Boldman

In my plans ofr my 1:48 BoB diorama, I had bought one of the 1:48 Tamiya Tilly kits and then discovered from my research that the RAF didn't use the Austin Tilly but used the Standard or Hillman Tilly. So in the end I ordered a 1:48 Standard Tilly from Accurate Armour. However, I had started building the Austin Tilly and it is a neat little kit. On a trip to Model Zone I saw the 1:35 scale version and something took hold of me and the next thing I knew I was walking out of the shop with the kit in hand... and a receipt for it of course!

So now the 1:48 Tilly has been set aside to be replaced by its big brother. Then along came the April to June Group build and approval for this to qualify, so here goes the construction so far...

There are 3 colour schemes shown in the instructions. I'm building the basic green colour scheme.

Starting with the chassis and engine:

View attachment 26643View attachment 26644

I haven't got involved in superdetailing, my eyesight just isn't good enough for lots of tiny wires and extra details, especially as the bonnet will be closed so the engine won't be visible. However for my own satisfaction I try to do a decent paint job in it.

Next, the chassis which has quite a bit of underbody detail:

View attachment 26647View attachment 26648

Next comes wheels and bumpers. The wheels are only pressed on for the moment. They will need more weathering done to them:

View attachment 26649

Next is the cargo area. This will be without the tilt covering it so I will be adding the frame poles later. The wooden floorboards have been suitably weathered in preparation for the load it will carry to qualify for the Group Build ;)

View attachment 26651View attachment 26650

I've used the wooden tailgate instead of the pressed steel one.

Finally so far, tonight the seat went in and some more weathering was done on the wheel wells.

View attachment 26652View attachment 26653

So that is progress so far...

View attachment 32558

View attachment 32559

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

View attachment 32562

View attachment 32563

View attachment 32564

View attachment 32565

View attachment 32566

DSCF3663.jpg

DSCF3664.jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

DSCF3666.jpg

DSCF3668.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3672.jpg

DSCF3673.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far. Only one minor problem is this for the group build? If so you have jumped the gun a little, the build does not start until April 1.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Definately coming along very nicely. This does seem to be a popular kit and it makes into a lovely model.