1/35 Tamiya PaK36

X

Xarathustra

The first kit I tried making of this ended up in the bin, Determined, after some thought, not to be defeated. I had another go. The advantage is that I had double the men (son's of Frankenstein monster by the looks of 'em!) from the discarded kit. I did away with the prone ammo supply figure and instead made one up from bits so that he's behind the loader.
No plans for any scenery/diorama with this at the moment, but I have an idea to combine it with the Panzer IV perhaps at some point in the future.
I'm actually very pleased with how the figures have come out bearing in mind their monstrous appearance from the kit. Have added extra ammo boxes & 2 extra rifles...making carrying straps for them proved too tricky at this point, however i may try with cotton thread if I get as far as a diorama.
The figures are a bit shiny, but I can't get my Tamiya matt clear to go on without leaving an awful white residue all over the applied area (the same happens with semi-gloss). I tried brushing it on (un-diluted) and perhaps this is the problem...dunno.DSC_9625-2.jpgDSC_9626-2.jpgDSC_9629-2.jpgDSC_9630-2.jpgDSC_9631-2.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
rifles...making carrying straps for them proved too tricky at this point, however i may try with cotton thread if I get as far as a diorama.
K 98k slings go on the left side of the weapon, like this:

They shouldn’t be very hard to make from a bit of insulating tape, metal foil (not aluminium kitchen foil, though, that’s too thin), or similar. You don’t need all the detail of the loops, buckles, etc. — a strip of material glued to the rifle in the right places will look usually good enough already; double a part of it up like for the real thing if you want to make it look a bit more realistic. Any other detail you can try to add if you feel like it, of course.

I can't get my Tamiya matt clear to go on without leaving an awful white residue all over the applied area
Tamiya doesn’t make a clear matt varnish. They do make a product called Flat Base which is not intended to be brushed (or sprayed) onto models — if you do, it will leave white residue alright. The point of this stuff is to mix it in with Tamiya’s gloss paint or varnish to make it semigloss or matt, depending on how much you add to the paint.

X

Xarathustra

K 98k slings go on the left side of the weapon, like this:

...a bit of insulating tape, metal foil (not aluminium kitchen foil, though, that’s too thin), or similar...

Tamiya doesn’t make a clear matt varnish. They do make a product called Flat Base which is not intended to be brushed (or sprayed) onto models — if you do, it will leave white residue alright. The point of this stuff is to mix it in with Tamiya’s gloss paint or varnish to make it semigloss or matt, depending on how much you add to the paint.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go at some point...and I had no idea about the paint! :flushed:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it’s any consolation, you’re far from the only person to think Flat Base == matt varnish :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice work George:thumb2: A bit of matt varnish will make them look even better...hope you can sort it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed George.
Like the figures especially :thumb2:
John.

First Name
colin
George XF-86 is a flat varnish if you are spraying it you need to turn your air pressure down to about 12 psi it does not go on very well with a brush.

X

Xarathustra

George XF-86 is a flat varnish if you are spraying it you need to turn your air pressure down to about 12 psi it does not go on very well with a brush.

Thanks Colin. I'll have a look for it...I've got just about every other configuration of Tamiya flat/semi/gloss/flat base varnish :smiling6:

X

Xarathustra

Thanks Colin. I'll have a look for it...I've got just about every other configuration of Tamiya flat/semi/gloss/flat base varnish :smiling6:

Gah! I’ve already tried the XF-86 ‘flat clear’ and I’ve found it the worst for leaving a milky residue...despite being shaken vigorously prior to brushing in.
I must be doing something wrong then...?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi George
Very nice looking PAK.
Quite a nice Matt varnish is Testors Dullcote. I like the rattle can. Shake well and warm the can. It dries really matt.
Jim