1:35 Tamiya PzKpfw II F rebuild {ST}

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Simon,
Some great modifications and extras:thumb2:

I’ve built two off these over the years as quick, no fuss builds and really enjoyed them....seeing you work your magic makes me want to make that 3:smiling5:
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Track links sound rather less than fun! Good work on the bin.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh No...I have to cut my Panzer II in two...nope, I'm gonna leave that to you Simon. :smiling2: Sure looks good. How many mm was taken off for each half? I don't think I have the patience for the tracks...even Fruil scares me :tears-of-joy: but one day I shall try.
Added details nicely done ala 1/72 finesse onto a 1/35 scaled kit. I marvel at you Simon. Now I have to hide my Panzer II in some bushes.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Mr T. I like the weld seams and the stowage bins work well. My track links were very fragile and easily bent so good luck with the rest of them. Will you have to rivet each link pin end??:crying:

Steve

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ian - the links are certainly taking some time!
Denise - as with most aftermarket tracks they are rather costly, especially when the Panzer II itself only sells for about £9
Si - basic thing is cheap as chips, go on get one
Jim - links are still ongoing
Richard - not as bad as some of the Tamiya kits so only removed 1.5mm
Steve - they have moulded pins so I think I will leave them and hope they look ok. Links will get a bath in AK track stuff to rust them

Not done a lot

pz2-047_2018-6-17.jpg

added the staples to go with the etch hasps - thin wire bent into U shape

Locking bar added from brass wire with a scratched padlock on the end

Only other thing I managed was to clean up a few more track links

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great detail work as always.....must seem huge after Braille scale though LOL
Tim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Tim - still seems just as fiddly. As the scale increases I just end up making the small bits that I couldn't do at 1/72 :smiling:

Little bit more done

pz2-048_2018-6-18.jpg
opened up the second of the solid rear idler wheels

pz2-049_2018-6-18.jpgpz2-050_2018-6-18.jpg
made up a jerrycan rack - this started out as the Eduard etch one.
It is meant to hold four cans but they didn't make it large enough - more like 3.75

I started by sticking four Italeri cans together (without handles or caps)

I opened out the grooves with an Olfa P cutter then inserted thin wire to replicate the seam on each can

I sliced the end panels off the etch rack and CA'd the remaining front, back, base to the cans

The end etch panels were then CA'd to the end cans leaving gaps on each corner - handles and caps were added

I then made up new corner pieces from pewter and stuck them over the gaps - since the racks would likely be local fabrications I don't think the slight wonkiness is too much of a problem

I made a locking bar from brass rod and fed it through the holes in the etch end pieces and all the handles then added a padlock and CA'd the whole thing to the track guard - hopefully it will look ok under paint

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon...great rack. :thumb2: The wonkiness can be attributed to wear and tear.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Mr T

Luv the homemade padlocks. I will try this my self (If you dont mind) as they are better than the 2D PE ones.

Steve

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Simon,

Good to see some progress.....Nice touch adding the seams to the jerry cans, I’ll have to try to remember that:thumb2:.
Did you use Italeri cans for any reason....are they the more accurate of the kit makers?

Excellent updates.....inspiring as ever :smiling4:
Si

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
Those links, are they where you join aload together and then press the tabs down ? I loved them !!!!!! Used a small screwdriver and pulled it along the track , closing the links as I went . The odd one needed a little more, but quite enjoyable to build.
If I could manage it , you would be able to do it whilst having your evening nap :hugging-face:
John .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Top work as always. Tracks look a b---h. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Still up to your old tricks - great scratching to improve the detail. Making the padlocks is brilliant. Gonna make the keys tonight? :rolling:
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Simon,
Good to see this build on the go again and to the tips that can be picked up along the way.
Cheers,
MikeC.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Richard :thumb2:

Steve - if the PE ones have detail etched in them could you stick them to some plastic card to give thickness?

Si - when I bought them there were no alternatives other than Tamiyas appalling two handled version. They were pulled from the stash - £2.50 it says on the box. Apart from the lack of seam I don't think they are too bad but there are various others now available of course and with etch inserts for the seam - more expensive though for less cans. I am happy to mod the Italeri ones for now

John - that sounds like the type. How robust were they once assembled? My links are very bendy and thin - they don't look like they will last very long

Cheers Paul - they are very time consuming

Jim - not done the keys yet, having problems getting the mechanism to work :smiling5:

Andy - yup, still trying

Mike - best tip would be ignore me and just build it out of the box!

No progress to report, sorry

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Richard :thumb2:

Steve - if the PE ones have detail etched in them could you stick them to some plastic card to give thickness?

Si - when I bought them there were no alternatives other than Tamiyas appalling two handled version. They were pulled from the stash - £2.50 it says on the box. Apart from the lack of seam I don't think they are too bad but there are various others now available of course and with etch inserts for the seam - more expensive though for less cans. I am happy to mod the Italeri ones for now

John - that sounds like the type. How robust were they once assembled? My links are very bendy and thin - they don't look like they will last very long

Cheers Paul - they are very time consuming

Jim - not done the keys yet, having problems getting the mechanism to work :smiling5:

Andy - yup, still trying

Mike - best tip would be ignore me and just build it out of the box!

No progress to report, sorry
Simon .
Yes a little flimsy, but ok, had one other two brake on the thinner section , put that down to being heavy-handed.
Fitted easily around the sprockets, and looked right,. did the final join as normal on the bottom run.
Would use them again, as preferred that to drilling out and fitting wire. Tried the other sort with the resin pin as well, still prefer the tab method .
John