1 350 HMS Daring, float or sink lol

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
OH GO ON Mark treat yourself to a nice big floaty battleship in 1/350 th scale as id love to see one of them built GO ON GO ON GO ON as mrs doyle says in farther ted lol
chris
The idea is stuck in my head so it will happen! Just can't make up my mind what to go for. Reading reviews don't really help because there's pro's and cons to everything!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The idea is stuck in my head so it will happen! Just can't make up my mind what to go for. Reading reviews don't really help because there's pro's and cons to everything!
WELL Mark if you look in whats new section RON 570 has his 1/350th GRAFF SPEY up for sale an quite cheap i think
so go for it as it wont take up much space as its a pocket battleship lol
chris

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
WELL Mark if you look in whats new section RON 570 has his 1/350th GRAFF SPEY up for sale an quite cheap i think
so go for it as it wont take up much space as its a pocket battleship lol
chris
Taken a fancy to the missouri but not sure yet.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well a bit of a disaster on 2 fronts, failed to fully mask off the hull and have ended up with overspray on some of the red hull

Also failed to fully sand an area where there was a reaction to the primer, it looks terrible, so almost back to the beginning again. I am also spraying too far off the ship, the paint finish is rough/grainy!

So annoyed with myself, good job the bin was not too close lol. Cannot believe all these misstakes, maybe time for a modelling break??

Not sure if floaty boats are for me, should have stuck with StuG's

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BOB mate AS has been said have a break an then respray but when you refit the tamyia maskin tape you are useing it earnt you an then before sprayin i when im sprayin go along the tape useing my finger nail push it down tight an make sure there are no gaps as you know now what not mistakes to make as remember its only a bit of plastic so dont let it get to you an try again but the rough area has the paint attacked or crazed ?as if it has then simply rub it down with light sandpaper an then repaint as you can build stugs an paint bloomin marvalous
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
Take a deep breath, leave it for a couple of days (for the paint to fully cure and your frustation to subside) and sand back lightly, remask and spray closer. This warm weather won't help.
Jim
Many thanks Jim

Its all my fault of course. But i seem to have gone backwards, in a big way!
Spray away from the tape and not towards it, a couple of stripes won't get the better of you mate.
Thanks for the reply Mark, i will beat it or go down with the ship!
BOB mate AS has been said have a break an then respray but when you refit the tamyia maskin tape you are useing it earnt you an then before sprayin i when im sprayin go along the tape useing my finger nail push it down tight an make sure there are no gaps as you know now what not mistakes to make as remember its only a bit of plastic so dont let it get to you an try again but the rough area has the paint attacked or crazed ?as if it has then simply rub it down with light sandpaper an then repaint as you can build stugs an paint bloomin marvalous
chris
Hi Chris

With the crazing i can only assume there was something on the plastic which reacted with the primer?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, was going to stick my head in the oven but its electric lol:tongue-out3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob,
Apologies just caught up with this. If we didn't have disasters now and then modelling wouldn't be fun.
WELL Scottie im afraid ive got a disaster on my tiger an its gonna be an exspensive disasters an not fun as ive been all this week gettin her prepped to fit in the hull the eletric motors an ESC but yeterday i fitted in the motors an then ran them up to full speed only to find the motors sharfts are not long enough an the universal jiont keeps comin off so today got to go to model shop an buy 4 new motors not fun im afraid Scottie but damm annoying felt like Bob did stickin me head in the oven but again its bleedin eletric lol
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Phew, normal service almost resumed!

Had a go at the boot topping, one area where it narrows but a happy bunny, honest, on the right track at last! Next one should be better

Got to refit the anchor!
20210702_114929.jpg
20210702_114932.jpg
20210702_114938.jpg
20210702_114949.jpg

Its far from perfect but after the many disasters its a relief lol

Also sorted out the overspray on the red hull, phew. One misstake sorted

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Tim, will have to empty the swear box, sorry bucket:upside:

Hi Mark

Looking better, but more to do. Will not be putting this on display!
SEE Bob mate told you that you could do it an you have well done mate an why not on display as it looks right nice to me ?
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Are you ready for the horrors of PE!

Please observe the wonky ladder, like that on the real ship ;) this side shows my lack of PE skills

20210709_115934.jpg

This shows i hope some improvement, the anttena was fiddly and could be better
20210709_115922.jpg
Finally got around to bending the cages around the ladders, followed advice and bent around a drill bit, first one ok, next much better
20210709_115838.jpg
Finally the mast, the plans are poor had to find a picture of a built one to see how the anntenna fitted. Could have done better
20210709_115848.jpg

Found PVa very good but had to use CA for the ladders.

All ready for priming, hoping to finish next week. Been a steep curve, have typed out a list of do's and do'nts

Do nots is the biggest list lol

Next ship will be built much differently

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Bob mate apart from the banna ladder its great an i think that if you get a scapel blade an gently slide it under the ladder to about half way up from the bottom an then holding a ruler agaisnt it you can straighten it up an then lightly touch up the grey paint an it will look great
chris