1:350 Tamiya HMS Prince of Wales with extras

C

Caledonia

Coming along nicely Dave, don't get discouraged at the lack of interest, there doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm for Ships as much as Aircraft or Armour. Cheers Derek

D

Dave Garrett

i think putting the pics on the build log as thumbnails is easier on the eye than putting the full pictures on i also have done some work on the stern facing main gun but have a few bits to put on so i might put pics up later although i am getting a new laptop later so it could be a couple of days before you hear from me again lol. all i can say is watch this space for more updates.

thanks for your interest all help is appreciated :D

D

Dave Garrett

thanks derek i am happy the way it's going with just a few of us if more follow then it's a bonus :smiling3:

D

Dave Garrett

this build is on hold for a while whilst i am building the flagship of my fleet hmcs snowberry.

i have been after this kit for a number of years and had a few quid left over from christmas so i ordered it.

but watch this space i will be back to finish this beautiful kit with all the extra photo etch and wooden deck.

D

Dave Garrett

i am also in the middle of changing my workstation around because the glue and paint are causing the missus headaches so a change around is needed in the meantime i will try and do a little bit of the prince so i don't loose track on her if you know what i mean i have just ordered some brush on primer as the spray can primer just doesn't work for me and just use revell acrylics when i get my airbrush because there is only a slight smell to them i just wish there was a model plastic glue with none or very little smell to it

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, lifecolor really has no smell and is non toxic, very good in the airbrush and for hand painting, I've used it exclusively on my KGV. They say you don't need a primer. Delux Roket Odourless is a CA glue which as the label says is odourless. Cheers Derek

D

Dave Garrett

thanks for the information derek i didn't even know we could use superglue on out kits but surely if it gets anywhere other that the joint then it will mess the finish of that particular part up.

the only time i have used ca on a model is when i am using photo etch but i will give it ago with some of the stuff that i have left

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

I also tend to use CA on photo etch mostly, and prefer to use the thin plastic cement such as Mr hobby's 'Mr Cement S' on plastic parts (Tamiya do an equivalent.). I do use CA on low stressed items. Hope this helps. Derek

View attachment 100137

image.jpg

D

Dave Garrett

thanks derek very informative i have just been talking to wifey about it and she said we will have to wait till the end of the month till we can do anything about it but i can't complain she has just got me all the paints i need to complete snowberry i will use the stuff that i have for now.

just the one question do i use the ca to glue the whole joint or just glue the lugs and fill the rest of the joint ?

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, sorry for the delay in replying, have had hospital visits for the last 3 month for my Sister so gets a bit weary, but you know better than me.

I use the 'Mr CementS' for as much of the plastic joints as I can. I use the Rocket for photo etch including the handrails. For the handrails I 'butter' about 30mm of the plastic and fix the first bit of handrail, hold it until it's dry, then 'butter' the next bit whilst gently bending the handrail way, then I hold the handrail over the new glued section until it's set. Repeat as necessary. For small handrail sections, say around platforms, I shape the handrail, so that there is no spring in it, and 'butter' the whole length and drop it onto its position.

The gel ca does have a slight smell, but I use this for fixing items onto painted surfaces.

Hope this answers your query, but come back to me if not. Cheers Derek

D

Dave Garrett

i tried my superglue and touch wood it seems to be working but she still said she can smell it so back to the first idea of moving workstations around.

the reason for this is my partner suffers with HSP [hereditary spaticity paraplegia] which means she has some bones missing in her back and her leg just imagine it as having permanent back and leg ache and you are half way there. my missus spends most of her time in bed because of this so i spend a lot of time with her looking after her. i do do some building next to her in bed.

we live in a one bedroom bungalow so building space is very very limited. so this is why i am trying to find glues and paints that don't smell i have h small lap tray for building on hence why so little gets done. upto now i have had no mess on the bed and no spillage just need to use stuff [paint and glue] that has no smell

D

Dave Garrett

not yet mate my pocket money is spent up till the end of the month. i do have a couple of bottles of the roket ca glue in my ebay basket though.

can i ask has it got a very tiny applicator with it ?

C

Caledonia

No, it just has a thin nozzle, I put some in a dish and use the Mr Glue applicator I mentioned previously. Derek

D

Dave Garrett

thanks mate i have also put a bottle with needle thin nozzles on my ebay order

P

Pigboy

Keep the updates coming. I bought the might 4, Hood. Prince of Whales, Bismark and the Prinz Eugen All in 1:350 scale. I'm currently working on the Prinz Eugen. Been that way for the last 6 months. Not new to ship modeling but I'm just know expert. Learning a lot on these forums so keep the info flowing. Thanks for the pictures of your build..